Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple confirmed today that the Apple TV will be delayed until mid-March.

"Wrapping up Apple TV is taking a few weeks longer than we projected, and we now expect to begin shipments mid-March," spokeswoman Lynn Fox said by email.

This is despite claims that they would be reaching their February launch. Apple officially announced the Apple TV at Macworld San Francisco for a February ship date.

Meanwhile Apple Stores are still expecting in-store displays on March 5th for the Apple TV. Customers also report that early web orders have not yet changed and still reflect a Feb 28th ship date.

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Bummer, but releasing a product that is buggy and not ready for prime time is always a bad idea.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Apple said:
"Wrapping up Apple TV is taking a few weeks longer than we projected, and we now expect to begin shipments mid-March,"

Hear that? that's the sound of another Rev A disaster unfolding. :p

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Delay

A two week delay for :apple:TV vs A seven year delay for Vista..... which is STILL not ready for Prime Time.

Perhaps this mid-March release will coincide with
another major release....:rolleyes:

sanooj

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2007
I don't think this bodes well for other products (Leopard, updates to the mac line, etc). It's taking resources away from other stuff that they should focus on. I could not care less about :apple: tv until I get a new Mac Pro.

mrthieme

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2006
Obviously Steve has read my complaining posts all over the web concerning some options I wanted to have included and is retooling to meet my demands.

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i hope this two week delay doesn't foreshadow a delay in leopard's launch. apple promised a spring launch, but i'm hoping that'll be in the march/april time frame and not may/june. <fingers crossed>

Rot'nApple

macrumors 65816
Dec 27, 2006
I DID build that!
A two week delay for :apple:TV vs A seven year delay for Vista.....

Perhaps this mid-March release will coincide with
another major release....:rolleyes:

But what might Apple's excuse be come mid-march! - considering the denial of the rumored delay of the product in the first place!!:D

NightStorm

macrumors 68000
Jan 26, 2006
Whitehouse, OH
Can't say that I'm not a little disappointed, but if it leads to a more polished product, and perhaps some new iTunes Store content options, I'll be a happy camper.

I do wish they would go ahead and post the AppleTV manual for everyone to look at.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Not likely

I don't think this bodes well for other products (Leopard, updates to the mac line, etc). It's taking resources away from other stuff that they should focus on. I could not care less about :apple: tv until I get a new Mac Pro.

Since :apple:TV has it's own separate department, this delay will
not draw from resources dedicated to Leopard, iPhone, iPod depts.
Only within Mom&Pop shops does everyone in house drop what they're
doing to pitch in to meet a deadline.........

JackSYi

macrumors 6502a
Feb 20, 2005

paulyras

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2006
Singapore
Awww.... You've got to be kidding me. I had read about the March 5th retail date page 2 rumor and literally just ordered one online in order to get it sooner, seeing the February date on the apple store still. This was 10 minutes ago. Then I clicked over here. Darn Darn Darn....

I had it all figured out... Ships on Wednesday, 2 day mail, watching it on Friday...

Oh well... I'd rather it work correctly out of the box.

Any chance the delay is working out PVR capabilities with an EyeTV plugged in to the otherwise unused USB port? I wish...

TheAnswer

macrumors 68030
Jan 25, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'd think this is something they should have known sooner...you'd think with product cycles, you would want to give people notice of a delay sooner than later and then beat the revised expectations, rather than wait until just before the witching hour and dampen people's moods.

Telp

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2007
Seriously, im sure the wait is worth it. I bet if they said hey you know what were gunna have it shipping on time but theres gunna be a lot of kinks in it, im sure you wont mind, i think youd tell them to have the release date further back. Atleast your not waiting 5 years for it, and still getting a crap product. :rolleyes:

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
That's EXACTLY what I did. I'll have it before the weekend and then this. Eh, well there's nothing I can do about it so why stress.

Awww.... You've got to be kidding me. I had read about the March 5th retail date page 2 rumor and literally just ordered one online in order to get it sooner, seeing the February date on the apple store still. This was 10 minutes ago. Then I clicked over here. Darn Darn Darn....

I had it all figured out... Ships on Wednesday, 2 day mail, watching it on Friday...

Oh well... I'd rather it work correctly out of the box.

Any chance the delay is working out PVR capabilities with an EyeTV plugged in to the otherwise unused USB port? I wish...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.