Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulghulme

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Fake

this is quite obviously a fake, a slide show on a pc that comes out of standby when the keyboard is pressed. You can see that the monitor changes its resolution when the pc running the slide show comes out of standby and the monitor jumps over to the correct input (from HDMI->DVI/PC)
Am surprised this made front page news when other fakes have been made more believable than this.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
this is quite obviously a fake, a slide show on a pc that comes out of standby when the keyboard is pressed. You can see that the monitor changes its resolution when the pc running the slide show comes out of standby and the monitor jumps over to the correct input (from HDMI->DVI/PC)
Am surprised this made front page news when other fakes have been made more believable than this.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you here.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Ios

yep.. it looks proisimg. :apple

And, by the way, this wiukd also fall in line with the "much rumoured" HD TV

If this this only a start, only Apple may have delibratly locked the ATV 2 from full IOS apps at their discretion or IOS apps, then i can't wait to see when Apple does release the next device.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Google TV and WebTV have done this. And failed.

Kudos to Stephen and TheMudKip. But this is exactly what Apple wants to avoid: general iOS apps running on your living room TV. Google TV did it and failed. WebTV before them ran a few specific apps on your living room TV and failed. If Apple does it all over again, they too will fail.

And the reason for all that app-on-TV failure? It's because big-screen TV viewing is a communal event and small-screen personal computing is a private activity. Those two concepts can't be combined to deliver a great experience. And Apple needs to deliver a great experience to make a dent in the TV market.

Do you really want Mom to check her email on 3rd and goal during the Superbowl? Nope. Do you want Dad to check ink cartridge prices on Amazon at a dramatic moment in "Kung Fu Panda 8"? Negative. Do you want to let the kid tweet about his dessert in the middle of the State of the Union address? Not so much.

So for now, running apps is a personal, private activity. And for now, big-screen TV viewing is a communal, shared activity. You can't mix the two without major problems with the overall experience. The one exception is video games, but despite the money to be had in video games, it's small potatoes compared to the overall TV market. (And, speaking of big money, I think Apple designed iAd for big-screen HDTV from day one, but that's another story...)

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

It's not fake. I know the dev.

Same dev was also responsible for Siri on iPhone 4 hack.

arn

TheEndless

macrumors newbie
Jun 22, 2010
While I wouldn't say "obviously" fake, there are some things about the video that seem strange. Why the very deliberate Enter key hits (not saying he is, but that's the kind of thing you'd do if you were trying to synchronize with a video)? At one point he even types something with no visible effect, then pauses strangely, almost like he missed a cue. Why not show the VNC interface he's claiming to be using? He angled the camera to show his hand on the touchpad, seems logical to show the input interface as well. He claims to have put together the quick launcher, and apparently wired up the slide out menu to the remote (as that's the only time he uses it), then why not wire the launcher up to the remote? If it's a custom launcher, then there's no touchscreen dependency.

It's intriguing, but I'm not convinced that it's 100% real...

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
I would feel MORE than comfortable using these features on an TV connected to my bog-standard TV set - rather than have to go out and buy an expensive Apple-branded TV set to experience it exclusively!

Source on it being expensive? Or is that more "analyst speculation from an anonymous reliable source with ties to a Chinese part maker" that led us to stories of the $1300 iPad and 5-inch iPhone 5?

paulghulme

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Fake

It's not fake. I know the dev.

arn

But the evidence is there in front of you, explain the monitor re-adjusting the resolution as soon as keyboard is pressed. its obviously a pc returning from sleep
its not like developers/powerpointcreators to lie :) is it!!!
its too much like a video/slideshow playing and the user/person playing along intime with the video

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
But the evidence is there in front of you, explain the monitor re-adjusting the resolution as soon as keyboard is pressed. its obviously a pc returning from sleep
its not like developers/powerpointcreators to lie :) is it!!!
its too much like a video/slideshow playing and the user/person playing along intime with the video

...you're disagreeing with a mod, who knows the dev. Fail.

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Care to explain how exactly the controller for the AppleTCV is specified? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Nope - remote doesn't count. Go for two analog sticks, one D-Pad, 4 shoulder buttons and 4 hardware buttons, then we're talking.

Actually - did you ever touch one of these controllers? (arguing from the POV that I still don't feel comfortable on the PS3 controller because I am so used to my 360 controller).

Apple's had game controllers before...

Yes, I have "touched game controllers" - longer than probably you've been alive... :rolleyes:

paulghulme

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Fake

...you're disagreeing with a mod, who knows the dev. Fail.

and yet, despite me putting across solid observations, nobody has any opinions to disprove my comments.
if this dev was responsible for siri on iPhone 4, then what better way to hold his place in the spotlight than to create a fake hack based on a big topic at the moment... the apple tv set.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
The point that some people are missing: you can connect the :apple:TV to a computer monitor with an HDMI input. It doesn't have to be a living room computer.

Bluetooth mouse and keyboard + low-cost HDMI monitor + :apple:TV = iOS Apple computer for around 200 to 250$.

All they need to do is enable bluetooth keyboard and mouse, microUSB for storage to an external hard drive*.

* not everyone can use the cloud for everything. Internet connection speed limits and extremely low monthly caps make the cloud a non-starter option for a lot of people around the world.

----------

Source on it being expensive? Or is that more "analyst speculation from an anonymous reliable source with ties to a Chinese part maker" that led us to stories of the $1300 iPad and 5-inch iPhone 5?

Apple can't come up with ANY TV set for 99$USD, which is the price of the small :apple:TV box itself.

Tina Thompson

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Bring on a Hulu+ app, as well as other various and sundry streaming services the mothership won't allow on their device. That and a Flash-enabled version of Safari that will allow streaming from within.

The Economist

Suspended
Apr 4, 2011
Mexico
it seems to me like apple created a 100$ "computer" that could handle many many average user's needs. they may have realized the effect of this on sales of other products and decided to delay releasing that functionality. having IOS apps run on an appleTV2 with a wireless keyboard would IMHO be a revolutionary change in the PC market.

It's plausible. Once the other iOS devices sales have plateaued, an Apple TV with these functions could be released.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I really would like to have Hulu on my Apple TV. That in combination with some other streaming apps would make the little black box a real product and not a hobby anymore.

redkamel

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2006
I could see a lot of business execs at Apple and other companies being very afraid of this. It could change the whole market. I already *know people who* (edit) use their ipad and iphone as a primary computer. Email, facebook, internet browsing, a few things to type and thats it. An ipad and iphone limits them due to storage space and lack of keyboard; an imac is too expensive.

Make iOS into a simple computing OS that runs on phones, ipads, and appleTV; keep OSX as the full operating system and make MBP, imac etc sync with iOS.

Thats a one-two punch that covers the low end and the high end of the market, as well as mobile and professional (or what Apple has left of professional).

It would cut into full computer sales...but imagine if everyone who wanted one could have their iphone/pad, and an appletv/keyboard as their home PC setup that covers 90% of their needs...cheap, mobile, synced, wireless, and virus free. And everyone who needed more power could add a mac in there.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.