Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xlost6

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011

Except on the big screen.

You know there is no longer a "5 video per day" quota anymore. All videos are free to watch :D;)

----------

I just want to know when they're going to announce this. I have a Gen 2 AppleTV and I suspect it's going to die soon. I don't want a Gen 3 in the meantime. So disappointed that it wasn't announced a few weeks ago. When's the next Apple event????

September or October.

:apple:

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Reminds me of Googles Chromecast functionality and being able to 'cast' things .. Apple will probably just make it easy for developers to mirror their apps on the tv.. Hopefully not requiring an Internet connection too.

No, you're thinking of Apple's AirPlay, which was released in 2010.

gpsouza

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2012
Lisbon
When will apple release a new Apple TV? I'm thinking in buying one but I'm not sure this is the right time...

malexandria

Suspended
Mar 25, 2009
I Know!

How about making the Apple TV compatible with ***** iTunes??? How about that??? If I purchase a rental or film on my Apple TV it should show up on my MBP.

If I purchase a rental on my MBP it should show up on my iTunes. Hell they don't even make the Favorites/Wish List compatible with each other. How freaking stupid is that? I search on my MBP and add things to the "Wishlist" and it doesn't show up on the Apple TV because they call it "Favorites."

What morons do they have working over there that didn't think this basic integration was necessary????

Don't even get me started on the fact that iTunes Extra won't work on AppleTV. Or that half the Digital Copies from my Blu-ray discs ended up being in SD. What a freaking joke. I wouldn't have AppleTV AT ALL if I didn't need it to play my "free" movie Digital Copies - which aren't even free anymore since the studios charge a $5 premium for digital copy versions of Blu-rays.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Could make for an embarrassing moment when taking a private call. People overhearing what you are saying on all your devices. :):eek:

why would you take a private call on your ATV? i use my iphone in my car BT system and can choose whether to take the call or not.

marcvinther

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
Yosemite Beta

When i go to bluetooth on my mac, my apple tv's show up ?
Which is kind of odd.. i dont remember any bluetooth build in, in the apple tv.
10443440_10203644042517551_7658657532911454984_n.jpg

gstevie

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2009
Glasgow
How about making the Apple TV compatible with ***** iTunes??? How about that??? If I purchase a rental or film on my Apple TV it should show up on my MBP.

If I purchase a rental on my MBP it should show up on my iTunes.

Don't even get me started on the fact that iTunes Extra won't work on AppleTV. Or that half the Digital Copies from my Blu-ray discs ended up being in SD. What a freaking joke. I wouldn't have AppleTV AT ALL if I didn't need it to play my "free" movie Digital Copies - which aren't even free anymore since the studios charge a $5 premium for digital copy versions of Blu-rays.

When I buy a film on my Apple TV it shows up on my Mac, iPhone and iPad and vice versa. I don't download any films I purchased on iTunes simply because it can stream via iCloud over all my devices. I'm not sure what u mean by it not showing on ur MBP.

I agree with u that I am really disappointed that iTunes Extras can't be used on the Apple TV It's the only thing I really miss on it.

bkar89

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2012
Norway
When i go to bluetooth on my mac, my apple tv's show up ?
Which is kind of odd.. i dont remember any bluetooth build in, in the apple tv.

AppleTV do have built in bluetooth. The only use I've seen for it, as of now, is keyboards. Looks like that might change. I'm not sure if the AppleTV 3 uses bt 4.0LE though. But my guess would be that it does. Handoff might be limited to ATV3

marcvinther

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2014
AppleTV do have built in bluetooth. The only use I've seen for it, as of now, is keyboards. Looks like that might change. I'm not sure if the AppleTV 3 uses bt 4.0LE though. But my guess would be that it does. Handoff might be limited to ATV3

Oh yeah.. thats right!

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
i hate to be wrong here, but this could be ok with Hand off

However, would this mean mere differences between AirPlay and this ?

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
i hate to be wrong here, but this could be ok with Hand off

However, would this mean mere differences between AirPlay and this ?

The idea of continuity is that you can start something on your idevices/macs, and then continue it on your Apple TV without needing the host device unlike AirPlay where the host device needs to be active. As simple as that. Not sure if Apple will add more features into this such as notification and face time.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Developers who have installed the newest iOS 8 beta, the latest version of OS X Yosemite, and the current Apple TV beta, all released yesterday, have noticed a new pop up notification suggesting the Apple TV will gain some of the Continuity features Apple introduced during its Worldwide Developers Conference.

As noted by 9to5Mac, the notifications are being received on Macs running on the same local WiFi network as Apple TVs that also have the newest software, suggesting at the least, that with Yosemite, Macs will be able to interact with the Apple TV in new ways.

It is unclear how Yosemite and the Apple TV might interact as any Continuity features between the two are not yet functional, but it is possible that a feature like Handoff could be used in conjunction with AirPlay, allowing a movie, TV show, or music to be seamlessly transferred from one device to another.

It's also possible the Apple TV could display notifications when a phone call is incoming to an iPhone, much like the Mac and the iPad are able to do. Call notifications and on-screen caller ID are not far-fetched, as some telecommunications providers that offer TV, Internet, and phone access are able to display caller information on screen.

Continuity features like Handoff appear to require Bluetooth 4.0, a feature that is only available in the third-generation Apple TV. Yesterday's update was only available for third-generation Apple TVs, providing more evidence that the device is likely to gain some Continuity features.

OS X Yosemite, the new Apple TV software, and iOS 8 are all expected to be released to the public in the fall after an extended beta testing period. Apple is also said to be working on an upgraded Apple TV set top box with new capabilities, which could also take advantage of Continuity features.

Article Link: Apple TV May Gain Deeper Integration With iOS and Macs via Continuity

I would still think that a lack of continuity support wouldn't be enough to keep the second generation AppleTV out of this update, especially given that it looks like the iPad 2 is also being left out of continuity while still gaining support for iOS 8. Then again, Apple could just be cleaning out A4 support entirely. Makes sense, but it's not like the current AppleTV software runs poorly on the second generation AppleTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.