Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ageostrophic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
I did not have the original Apple TV, but was waiting for v2 to come out and for $99 it did not take much thinking. For me so far, just got it today, I have noticed a few things that I'm happy and not so happy with.

I often use iTunes, along with the Apple Remote app, and my home stereo system. In addition, I'd commonly share the display with my Mac and play videos/shows/movies on the HD TV. The Apple TV, I was hoping, would allow me not to have to worry about the cable (and/or AirExpress) and DVI/HDMI cable going from the MacPro to the TV. I'd just play everything on the Apple TV, which would be relatively near the home stereo & TV. That's where I'm coming from.

Good
1. The setup was pretty easy. Had a bit of trouble with getting Home Sharing to work, but that was because I had not installed iTunes 10.0.1, yet.

2. The video and audio quality seems to be fine. Video quality seems to be a bit less then when played directly from my Mac, but not that much of a difference. Nothing that I'll complain about for now.

3. Appears to be easy to download or watch content on Netflix. I have not tried that yet, it'll have to wait until next week, but others seem to see it working fine.

Bad
1. I wish you could control the volume, as I commonly did with iTunes using the Apple Remote app. Now, if I want to turn the volume down, I have to grab the stereo remote or TV remote. It's not all in my hand. I wonder if 4.2 will allow for some of that.

2. When you are watching a video, then go to the main menu, and then back to the video, the audio stays on (which I want), but when you get back to the video, it's back were you left off and races to sync back up. So, it looks like it's fast forwarding for about a minute or so before it syncs back up. I'm sure that would not be a hard fix, but a bit annoying for now.

3. If you close the Apple Remote app and then come back to it, the app does not remember what playlist you were just using, so you have to drill back down to the playlist. I don't recall it doing that when connected to iTunes on the Mac.

4. Can't play videos from a MobleMe gallery.

5. Can't see MobleMe galleries that are hidden. OK, the workaround is to un-hid them, but I wish I could still see them, if I authorize it with my password.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
My notes so far:

-downloading from usenet without a limit slows down downloads to a trickle.
-streaming 720p from my computer needs wireless n or Ethernet severely.
-standard def streams pretty well on wireless g, instantly on n though.
-the speaker on my acer monitor is AWFUL, not sure what I can do to cheaply use the optical out.
-slideshow mode is pretty slick, combined with my aperture library and flickr it's awesome.
-when plugged into my housemate's lcd tv, standard def is shown up, a standard football game isn't great looking, but a 720p one looks beautiful.
-setting up was annoying because of my home sharing apple ID being a really long email address
-apps would be a nice addition eventually
-airplay video will be great too whenever that appears (hoping beta 3 of iOS 4.2)

All in all, £99 well spent, just need to find an audio solution, but I think my housemates are both on the verge of getting them too :)

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Bad
1. I wish you could control the volume, as I commonly did with iTunes using the Apple Remote app. Now, if I want to turn the volume down, I have to grab the stereo remote or TV remote. It's not all in my hand. I wonder if 4.2 will allow for some of that.

Yes defeats the purpose of having a remote pretty much.

HOpefully they can make up/down control the volume on the ATV. Forget if original ATV did that.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
The fact that it runs based on iOS, but it doesn't support Apps...
This is what is making me wait longer before I buy one. Google TV looks awesome, but it looks pricey. Whoever comes out with apps and offers good HD selections at reasonable price will get my money. iTunes rental selections are horrible.

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
Just finished playing with mine this evening.

Yes easy to set up.

You need iphone remote app though.

In Australia films are very very limited eg I couldn't even find Titanic, Withnail and I .

No TV shows.

That's its biggest drawback lack of rental content.

It's just a bit limited but has potential

Ageostrophic

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Yeah, the fact that you can type in the configurations on screen with the remote or the iPhone Apple Remote app is pretty cool. I was amazed by that. Again, then amazed that I could not simply control the volume with the same app.

I see the potential and my desire is definitely there. I tell ya, right now I like the potential of on-demand content like this. Of course, I have and can only have Comcast right now, so anything looks brighter to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.