Apple TV With Monitor

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by nick123brown, Oct 14, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi guys, bought the new apple tv yesterday, i don't have a hdtv in my student flat to connect it to, just an lg monitor. Now this monitor does not have sound, and i was wondering if there was anyway i could get around this to enjoy both video and sound through maybe an external speaker system?

2. macrumors 68000

dXTC

The new :apple:tv has an optical audio output that transmits the same audio that the HDMI output does. All you should need is a speaker set/receiver that accepts optical audio inputs.

You may want to refer to Apple's tech specs on the :apple:tv to make sure.

3. macrumors regular

I use a battery powered DTS decoder from Creative that takes optical in and lets you hook up headphones. There are a few threads in this forum linking to similar devices, but I'm not sure what, if any of them, will actually work.

It's a common question, though, so I might have to get some in for testing. Will try 'n' find a link to my other thread and edit it in here for you.

If a new monitor is ever an option, there are some that take HDMI in and have a headphone socket.

Oh- and what dXTC said is probably the best option. Cheap speakers with a tos-link/optical input.

4. macrumors 68000

dXTC

5. macrumors 6502a

is the jack only optical or is it like on the airport express where it uses the mini toslink or headphone jack?

I have not used the output from my ATV2 since its hooked via hdmi to my tv...

6. macrumors 68000

dXTC

The optical audio jack on the :apple:tv 2 is optical only; it is not a dual optical/headphone jack.