Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Two identical (rendering apart) Shuffle icons that DON'T do the same thing

A. If Shuffle off
1. In Playlist
- Stops current track immediately and jumps to 'random' track
2. In Mini player
- Continues playing current track and when its finished jumps to random track

B. If Shuffle on
1. In Playlist
- Stops playing current track immediately and jumps to 'random' track
- Leaves global shuffle setting unchanged
2. In Mini player
- Leaves current track playing
- Changes Global shuffle to off

Interesting hadn't noticed that.

bomaya

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Surrey, England
iTunes 11 is clearly an improvement over iTunes 10 in many ways (speed, performance, creating playlists, cleaner interface etc...) but it also removed some functionality that I really liked.

Astonished that someone thinks that and I think some of the replies you've had bear that out. I have been a lover and advocate of iTunes since the very beginning and with iTunes 11 I can actually say I now HATE iTunes.

Every one of my iTunes -using friends despises it as well. My current bugbears include the terrible search facility (the old one was fine), the creation of playlists is worse, the broken shuffle function. Man, even the colour (what colour?) scheme is so bland and ugly.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Astonished that someone thinks that and I think some of the replies you've had bear that out. I have been a lover and advocate of iTunes since the very beginning and with iTunes 11 I can actually say I now HATE iTunes.

Every one of my iTunes -using friends despises it as well. My current bugbears include the terrible search facility (the old one was fine), the creation of playlists is worse, the broken shuffle function. Man, even the colour (what colour?) scheme is so bland and ugly.

Well they brought back the color in the sidebar (if you choose to enable the old style sidebar which I have - it's it saves an extra click to get to things)

But I agree - however if they brought back coverflow alone I could except the other less ideal things.

As i've said before iTunes 10 ran just as fast as iTunes 11 on my rMBP - i'm sure it's faster on older machines but still I miss iT10

bguguen

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2008
Apple Remote and Media Keys not working

Hey guys, i dunno if you are having the same issues as i am having right now....
before the update the global hotkeys to control iTunes quicktime and iDVD with the Rewind, Play and Fastforward keys were working, capable of controling itunes, but after the update, these controls are not working at all.... now i need to resort to pausing the music with my mouse...
(dont talk to me about the Fn Keys option in the Keyboard settings in preference, because first thing i've checked is that it is unchecked)

to make things worse...
i had a apple remote paired to my macbook pro, and even the controls on that remote is ignored...

Apple!!! your bug fix gave me more bugs!

UPDATE: Oh what the hell... its working again..... (i have had a very very bad week this week, computer decided to be unresponsive after some updates by apple, ended up doing a fresh install of my mac.)

Last edited:

mag01

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2011
They've silently updated all iTunes 11.0.2 packages at their servers last night. All versions remain the same, just SourceVersion for most components was updated from 1102025001000000 to 1102026001000000. Seems like some sort of rebuild.

Asclepio

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
what a piece of garbage is it, thansks again Craig Federighi, the worst thing happened to OS X.
The GUI and the cover bug are unacceptable.

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
They've silently updated all iTunes 11.0.2 packages at their servers last night. All versions remain the same, just SourceVersion for most components was updated from 1102025001000000 to 1102026001000000. Seems like some sort of rebuild.

Interesting
- when I use 'About' I get 11.0.2 (25); installed yesterday
- when I run Software update - I get 'no updates available'

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Software update won't update from 25 to 26, if you want the newer one you have to download it from the apple website.

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
I don't know if that is true. I am still running 11.0, and the new update is not showing in software update. iTunes prompts me to update, but when it takes me to the App Store app to update, nothing is shown.

It looks like the update was taken down from software update. I assume it will return soon.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I have sent about eight or so bug reports to Apple by now. I write software for a living. Some of these problems are bugs at the level where the developer writing the code should have noticed it. Most are at the level where any testing department that I've ever worked with would have spotted it. That's just the bugs; then there are things where the design is just stupid.

I would totally agree with you. I used to manage software development and I just don't believe they didn't spot these problems in the QA testing process.

I think the problem is that the software was late and Apple was under pressure to get it out of the door having already announced the release date. I really wish they would go back to a policy of only announcing new/updated products when they are finished, fully tested and ready to be released. They seem to release things now according to some artificial schedule based around their planned media events so they have something big to announce on the day. Ideally the software should be finished months ahead of any announcement to allow for field testing, revisions, etc. They are trying to rush products out before they are ready to keep the media and shareholders happy. But unhappy customers don't come back. Apple would do well to remember that given that they are not the only game in town any more.

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
ItWasNotMe: try one of these... it should show 11.0.2 (26) then...
iTunes 11.0.2 for Mac OS X: http://appldnld.apple.com/iTunes11/041-9794.20130220.DdPy6/iTunes11.0.2.dmg
iTunes 11.0.2 for Windows XP, Vista or Windows 7: http://appldnld.apple.com/iTunes11/041-9795.20130220.Xde43/iTunesSetup.exe
iTunes 11.0.2 for Windows (64-bit): http://appldnld.apple.com/iTunes11/041-9796.20130220.XMmn7/iTunes64Setup.exe

Thanks - went back to the iTunes site and downloaded the latest version from there - its (26)

Seems to me they have some issues on version and release control:mad: - wonder what else is not the latest version on my mac:(

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
By the way: Not only has Apple added an optional Composers view, but they've added the ability to search for composers as well (you need to have the option enabled).

search.png

Is it just me though, or does the Composers view fail to actually show the artist for each album?!? In kind of a nonsensical fashion they appear to have copied the artist view instead of the genre view (which does contain the artist info) :confused:

dylan.png

bobsax

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2008
By the way: Not only has Apple added an optional Composers view, but they've added the ability to search for composers as well (you need to have the option enabled).

Is it just me though, or does the Composers view fail to actually show the artist for each album?!? In kind of a nonsensical fashion they appear to have copied the artist view instead of the genre view (which does contain the artist info) :confused:

I think this will be an unreliable search tool because songs don't always have the composer in there file.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else

hcaroselli

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2008
Amen to that

I'm guessing some users wish Apple would let them combine Apple IDs.

The capability to combine multiple Apple IDs and then delete the old ones would be fantastic. I have been wishing for that for years! Come on Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.