Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2006
I just installed Parallels Desktop for Mac build 3094 Beta 2 on my MacBook Pro and couldn't be more delighted. As a long-time Windows user who has owned his first Apple computer for about three weeks, I can tell you I couldn't be happier with my decision not to purchase another Dell.

Anyway...my question: Has anyone had success using an Apple USB Modem while in Windows XP Pro under Parallels? Occassionally I need to connect using dialup or send a fax from Windows. If that modem works with Windows it would be ideal.

Thanks...

Lew

Lew

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 24, 2006
No, I haven't tried the bootcamp driver. Have you had experience using it with Parallels?

This may be a dumb questions; however, being new to the Mac, please forgive me. Does the fact that the driver you suggest works with bootcamp hold true that it will work with Parallels? If so, it appears as though I may have a solution.

Thanks...

Lew

eliesha

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2008
I use a macbook pro, partitioned bootcamp, with parallels.

i use the motorola 56 modem to dial up out of windows in bootcamp, starting the computer in windows, however i have followed all of the instructions using serial client etc on the parallels website, and even though i can *just* get it to work, 9 times out of 10, it wont work, cant find modem etc. but it works perfectly on the windows boot, just not in parallels. I have played around with all of the mac settings, to no avail.

i am also looking for a better solution. I would like to boot into mac and use parallels to run my windows but i cant right now as i have already spent so many hours trying to get it to dial out of vm windows. i did get it to work, just...but it isnt reliable, using the serial client, then it crashes...

anyway, if anyone ever comes up with a solution i would love to hear it.

have also re installed the drivers from mac install disc, and tried a serial client one from a forum..etc.

it just seems weird to me. it seems others may be having problems, but there doesnt seem to be too many solutions that seem to work for me...

My Canon MF150 is working fine from vm windows since I allowed the usb port, but the same easy function does not apply for the USB mouse, with the Motorola V56/Apple Modem. It still does not connect and function as easily as it should. the only way for me to do my banking at this point is to reboot into windows for the modem to function.

thanks in advance for any help, it would be greatly appreciated.
regards
eliesha

Mr. Zarniwoop

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
My Canon MF150 is working fine from vm windows since I allowed the usb port, but the same easy function does not apply for the USB mouse, with the Motorola V56/Apple Modem. It still does not connect and function as easily as it should. the only way for me to do my banking at this point is to reboot into windows for the modem to function.
I've found the USB 2.0 support in VMware Fusion much better than Parallels Desktop for Mac. I've had a number of USB devices that acted a bit funny in Parallels that work just fine in VMware. Might want to try their trial to see if that's a quick answer.

Sometimes it seems like the USB support in Connectix/Microsoft Virtual PC for Mac was better than the USB support in Parallels! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.