Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, we noted that Apple appeared to not be using Google Maps in its new iPhoto app for iOS, although it was unclear exactly where the new mapping data was coming from. Daring Fireball's John Gruber later clarified that Apple was still using Google Maps for the Places functionality in iPhoto for iOS but that maps for Photo Journals and slideshows were coming directly from Apple.

apple_campus_iphoto_ios.jpg

The OpenStreetMap Foundation has now issued a blog post revealing that Apple is using at least some of its mapping data for these features, although it does note that Apple is using outdated mapping data and is not crediting appropriately for its usage.
The new iPhoto for iOS, however, uses Apple's own map tiles - made from OpenStreetMap data (outside the US). [...]

The OSM data that Apple is using is rather old (start of April 2010) so don't expect to see your latest and greatest updates on there. It's also missing the necessary credit to OpenStreetMap's contributors; we look forward to working with Apple to get that on there.
Apple has relied on Google Maps on its iOS devices since the launch of the original iPhone in 2007, but has expressed interest in moving away from Google, clearly due at least in part to tensions between the two companies. Toward that end, Apple has been working hard to beef up its own in-house mapping expertise over the past several years, acquiring several small companies including Placebase, Poly9 and C3 Technologies.

Article Link: Apple Using OpenStreetMap Data in iPhoto for iOS

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I don't care which service they use, but the one place where I miss my Droid is on the road. Native iPhone maps just do not cut it.

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Hope this doesn't replace the maps app in ios6. Google maps is good and apple has the money to license it.

*edit* Obviously if apple can make something better, then that would be ok.

iDvisic

macrumors member
Feb 21, 2012
Beefing up in house mapping expertise? Good news. Bring on the true turn by turn, iOS integrated! For now, I'll keep using Waze.

-->iDv.

jasonsewell

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2010
These new maps are shockingly ugly. I bet Google is having a good laugh right about now. Hopefully, Apple's internal map team is working hard on improving the quality and these maps.

ihateilove

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
These new maps are shockingly ugly. I bet Google is having a good laugh right about now. Hopefully, Apple's internal map team is working hard on improving the quality and these maps.

Be aware, however, that these maps aren't used across the system, but only in a small way within iPhoto. This probably does stop Google getting your location data when you take an image with your iDevice, though, so it can't be too bad.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Pretty poor of Apple not to give credit where its due. I also dont get why they changed the design of the maps...OSM use a pretty nice color scheme on the maps on their site...if you're going to rip off their work, may as well make it look pretty instead of sludge-yellow.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
I'm all for Apple using an in-house mapping service. However make sure it actually competes toe to toe with Google Maps and brings something new to the table. Perhaps they will have something that truly competes with iOS 6.

ganymedes13

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
Hope this doesn't replace the maps app in ios6. Google maps is good and apple has the money to license it.

Google Maps isn't all that great. I live in NY and it's lousy for directions, regardless if I'm on my iPhone or the web.

Apple should buy Tom Tom and get this over with. They are being overly conservative with their cash.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003

Google Maps aren’t actually as good as they used to be, which isn’t to say OSM are better, but I maintain a database of locations for a national restaurant franchise and it’s not uncommon for the locations address to return incorrect geolocation data or missing streets and in a couple of cases entire towns.

Bing actually seems to be the most up-to-date.

calb

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2009
UK
I understand Apple wants to move away from reliance upon others, but why must it take steps backwards first?

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
Truly awful data

Pretty sad even if this is old data that roads by me that have been here since 2001 aren't on the map. Can't we just agree that Google has a nice map service and continue to use it???

ihateilove

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2011
Google Maps isn't all that great. I live in NY and it's lousy for directions, regardless if I'm on my iPhone or the web.

Apple should buy Tom Tom and get this over with. They are being overly conservative with their cash.

I agree on both counts. I'm in London and the number of times I've had to ask for directions while clutching a Google Map is actively embarrassing. And as for the second - Tom Tom's CEO seemed to have stage presence when he took a slot in a keynote one time. And I think that company is suffering, even though its product is good....

Checks share prices: Yes, it is a little stagnant, and if you contrast it with the year ago values...it's good tech looking for a home. It's an op-ed all on its own :)

Custommm

macrumors member
May 31, 2009
Ugly....Fugly!!!
A big leap bacward....
I love my Navigon but a native solution should have been implemented by now...
BTW , where is my new Mac Pro Apple!!!!:mad:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I think there's a clear difference between seeing where a photo was taken and using a map to find buildings and directions.

Mac iPhoto and Aperture have always had unique maps too. I don't know where the data comes from in those, but they've never looked like anything I've looked at in Mac-Safari.

So I think the people judging these as ugly or un-clear are kind of missing the point. These are supposed to be kind of pirate-mappy. It's for getting an idea of a place, not for driving around it.

But I'm just talking about iPhoto here. Yeah, if the iPhone's 'Map' app ends up looking like this I'll be disappointed. But I really don't think it will.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
Am I the only one who thinks this looks nice? I love the vintage style!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

I appreciate the reasoning, but Tom Tom has made very little progress with their software in the last years. I think Apple could give a generous donation to OpenStreetMap, hire a few developers to create an iPhone / iPad application that makes it very easy to add map data to OpenStreetMap, and hire a few more developers who write software that creates really nice maps from OpenStreetMap data. That would probably give better maps in a short time.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Be aware, however, that these maps aren't used across the system, but only in a small way within iPhoto. This probably does stop Google getting your location data when you take an image with your iDevice, though, so it can't be too bad.

Probably doesn't:
John Gruber later clarified that Apple was still using Google Maps for the Places functionality in iPhoto for iOS

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA
Pretty poor of Apple not to give credit where its due. I also dont get why they changed the design of the maps...OSM use a pretty nice color scheme on the maps on their site...if you're going to rip off their work, may as well make it look pretty instead of sludge-yellow.

Nonsense. If I'm using a program to make a scrapbook (which is exactly where this is implemented) I do NOT want some stupid company logo in the middle of my finished product.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Google Maps still have errors, but today one can correct the map with a lot less difficulty than in past years. Overall, I'd say Google Maps are better, but I use the images whereas other people rely on turn-by-turn instructions (which are not useful to me).

Last edited by a moderator:

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Nonsense. If I'm using a program to make a scrapbook (which is exactly where this is implemented) I do NOT want some stupid company logo in the middle of my finished product.

Nobody wants to have a company logo in their product like that, but Apple is legally required to put it there.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I guess we see what iOS 6 huge new feature is going to be: Maps.

I'm sure they will look WAY better than that, though. Lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.