Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Well, actually, the few times that i had to do this (with defective iPhone 5), i got a brand new unit because refurb was not avail early in the cycle.

As for exchanging to get higher storage or features, of course...i thought that was obvious. :)

well actually, that's still a repair under warranty. if they'd had refurbs, they wouldn't have considered giving you a new one.

as it is, the repair for that specific defect would be exactly the same as for processing a refurb to go into white box stock - replacing the outside case... and the time taken to do that? who knows, it's not an in-store job. easier to give you a replacement to make you happy than say come back next week.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
well actually, that's still a repair under warranty. if they'd had refurbs, they wouldn't have considered giving you a new one.

as it is, the repair for that specific defect would be exactly the same as for processing a refurb to go into white box stock - replacing the outside case... and the time taken to do that? who knows, it's not an in-store job. easier to give you a replacement to make you happy than say come back next week.

Ok and? Either way, there are plenty of stories here where people were given a NEW AW when their current one was found defective. Exchange, warranty replacement, etc.. whatever the case.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Ok and? Either way, there are plenty of stories here where people were given a NEW AW when their current one was found defective. Exchange, warranty replacement, etc.. whatever the case.

because you're within your rights to just return it and buy a new one anyway?

same as you could do at best buy etc. if you found a defective watch.

or the same as you could do with an iphone at sprint if you bought the phone there and it was defective in the box (ok, contracts make this a stickier issue but then you haven't truly "bought" it anyway - but if you bought a sprint iphone outright, for whatever reason, and it was broken, they'd have to take it back within X days.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
because you're within your rights to just return it and buy a new one anyway?

same as you could do at best buy etc. if you found a defective watch.

or the same as you could do with an iphone at sprint if you bought the phone there and it was defective in the box (ok, contracts make this a stickier issue but then you haven't truly "bought" it anyway - but if you bought a sprint iphone outright, for whatever reason, and it was broken, they'd have to take it back within X days.

Ok...but there are times where the outside stores do NOT have supply...as what happened to me. Best Buy had none in stock in any of their stores. You cannot then go to Apple Store to get it replace/exchange/etc.. Of course, Apple Store needs to have supply too...but in my case, the Apple Store did have supply but could not get me the replacement/exchange because i bought it outside.

With my sprint iPhone 5 issues, i bought thru Sprint (not apple store). I had cellular issue that was determined to be Apple's issue. Went to store and they exchange/replace with a NEW one. Sprint actually told me to go to Apple Store for replacement/exchange.

And the Apple rep confirmed all this. iPhone are treated differently (better). If you bought anything else outside Apple Store/online, then you need to deal with where you bought it from...otherwise, you have to do warranty REPAIR.

Anything else?

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Ok...but there are times where the outside stores do NOT have supply...as what happened to me. Best Buy had none in stock in any of their stores. You cannot then go to Apple Store to get it replace/exchange/etc.. Of course, Apple Store needs to have supply too...but in my case, the Apple Store did have supply but could not get me the replacement/exchange because i bought it outside.

With my sprint iPhone 5 issues, i bought thru Sprint (not apple store). I had cellular issue that was determined to be Apple's issue. Went to store and they exchange/replace with a NEW one. Sprint actually told me to go to Apple Store for replacement/exchange.

And the Apple rep confirmed all this. iPhone are treated differently (better). If you bought anything else outside Apple Store/online, then you need to deal with where you bought it from...otherwise, you have to do warranty REPAIR.

Anything else?

you returned the watch to best buy - why didn't you take that money and go to an apple store and buy there, then?

also, can you confirm you bought the iphone outright, and you were within the return period when you had that issue?

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
you returned the watch to best buy - why didn't you take that money and go to an apple store and buy there, then?

also, can you confirm you bought the iphone outright, and you were within the return period when you had that issue?

Best Buy had $100 off discount. :) And this is why i will think real hard about buying outside Apple from now on unless discount is big.

iPhone was actually under contract (2 yr at that time). Yes, it was within return period.

sfilingeri

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2009
Richmond, Virginia
Best Buy had $100 off discount. :) And this is why i will think real hard about buying outside Apple from now on unless discount is big.

iPhone was actually under contract (2 yr at that time). Yes, it was within return period.

I bought mine from Best Buy and took advantage of the $100 off sale

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008

I don't understand why Best Buy had no stock when the $100 discount started, that was like November and they'd sold them for 3 months buy that point... Or do you mean none of the model specifically you wanted, which could have been a problem anywhere any time and not limited to apple watch.

if actually you read what i said, the iphone would be treated differently under contract... you don't own it. you'd have to cancel the contract in addition to returning the device and clearly it's easier for sprint to send you to apple than go through that process, which could have led to penalties for early exit etc. in contrast, if you actually bought the device outright and it was faulty, they'd have to take it back.

Thai

Suspended
Feb 2, 2016
Colorado
I don't understand why Best Buy had no stock when the $100 discount started, that was like November and they'd sold them for 3 months buy that point... Or do you mean none of the model specifically you wanted, which could have been a problem anywhere any time and not limited to apple watch.

if actually you read what i said, the iphone would be treated differently under contract... you don't own it. you'd have to cancel the contract in addition to returning the device and clearly it's easier for sprint to send you to apple than go through that process, which could have led to penalties for early exit etc. in contrast, if you actually bought the device outright and it was faulty, they'd have to take it back.

Yup, none in stock by next day! They were selling them like crazy! I got the AW SS 42mm white rubber band. They had plenty of 42mm SS with Milanese. I had to refund it and then order on-line at Bestbuy site.

Whatever regarding contract etc., all i know was that Apple Store took care of me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.