Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
I don't really understand the sleep? Is this for people with apnea trying to monitor without a sleep study? What's the draw for a sleep monitor? Seems like a feature with even less demand than "breathing".

I think it's because most fitness bands have that sleep-tracking option. I've never seen the point of it. I usually can't force myself to sleep longer unless I exercise like crazy in the daytime. No product appeals to everyone, but I'm sure it's a function of software to measure sleep by way of less movement, so Apple could likely offer that feature if they thought it was that important.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
So we know the lcd and the battery are thinner than before. But we don't know how much thinner the total watch thickness is...

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
Screen looks like it might be Micro LED. Especially if they said it's a pretty "advanced" screen.

If that's the case, it will improve battery life all while having the best color reproduction and brightness available in a display.

Will be interesting to see.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I think it's because most fitness bands have that sleep-tracking option. I've never seen the point of it. I usually can't force myself to sleep longer unless I exercise like crazy in the daytime. No product appeals to everyone, but I'm sure it's a function of software to measure sleep by way of less movement, so Apple could likely offer that feature if they thought it was that important.
The point isn't to force yourself to sleep. It's to give yourself an idea of how you're sleeping so that you can use those data points to potentially improve your sleep. If you're tossing and turning for most of the night you aren't getting s restful sleep so you may feel dog tired even getting what you think is 8 hours.

Depending on how sofisticated the software is it can even make sense if those data points for you (the days you had a large exam you slept poorly, the days you ran 8 miles each day you slept the best, etc).

Last edited:
Reactions: CarlJ

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I jumped in on Gen1 and have enjoyed it. I agree that the apps are typically pretty slow, but I mostly use it for notifications, fitness stuff, changing songs on my iPhone, and pinging my iPhone when I've forgotten where I laid it down. I think OS3 plus the new processor is going to be speedy.

That's fairly accurate how I use my Apple Watch. If Gen 2 proves worthy, I will gladly upgrade. The larger battery is much appreciated with an upgraded S2 Processor.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Screen looks like it might be Micro LED. Especially if they said it's a pretty "advanced" screen.

If that's the case, it will improve battery life all while having the best color reproduction and brightness available in a display.

Will be interesting to see.
How does micro led improve from oled for energy savings? Oled doesnt have a backlight and is incredibly efficient because of this. Not sure what micro led would accomplish here besides being able to get brighter.

Knertified

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2013
I have the Apple Watch Sport in Space Gray. I also have a nice minimalistic black on black circular watch. The circular watch just looks better to me. I also feel more classy wearing it to weddings and such. I don't feel the same wearing the bulky Apple watch. I really do wish Apple will offer a circular watch someday.

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
SWITZERLAND IS FLICKED. Again.

Years ago every pimp in Times Square wore a Rolex. Today they wear an Apple Watch. We've been through this before.

I don't think Rolex, Omega, Breitling, and Tag Heure have anything to worry about. The real luxury watches have a different market.

For those who travel internationally, especially in places around the world where internet access and power is limited, the Apple Watch is not for them. Fundamentally you need accurate time without having to worry about charging yet another device.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
How does micro led improve from oled for energy savings? Oled doesnt have a backlight and is incredibly efficient because of this. Not sure what micro led would accomplish here besides being able to get brighter.

Being able to be much brighter for one fixed amount of power is a one hell of an advantage.
Especially for something you want on all the time (ideally) or is seen under weird angles possibly under direct sunshine.
Also, It's not just a bit brighter, it's massively brighter with no risk of using up the pixels (which is the risk you run when running an OLED brighter).

Watches with a saphire screen would benefit even more since they lose quite a bit of brightness and contrast compared to glass.
[doublepost=1473217031][/doublepost]
Years ago every pimp in Times Square wore a Rolex. Today they wear an Apple Watch. We've been through this before.

I don't think Rolex, Omega, Breitling, and Tag Heure have anything to worry about. The real luxury watches have a different market.

For those who travel internationally, especially in places around the world where internet access and power is limited, the Apple Watch is not for them. Fundamentally you need accurate time without having to worry about charging yet another device.

Internet access, especially using your cell phone, for anyone visiting a big city all over the world these days is kind of a given; same thing with charging it. Good grief, I can get an Iphone charged at everest base camp! There are also batteries in digital cameras and I get those charged too.

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
I have the Apple Watch Sport in Space Gray. I also have a nice minimalistic black on black circular watch. The circular watch just looks better to me. I also feel more classy wearing it to weddings and such. I don't feel the same wearing the bulky Apple watch. I really do wish Apple will offer a circular watch someday.

What bands do you have for your Apple Watch? I know my Sport Band vs my Link Bracelet give it a whole different feel i.e. the link feels way dressier.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Didn't have time or energy to get specific detail, but this might help your understanding.

LCD stands for “liquid crystal display” and technically, both LED and LCD TVs are liquid crystal displays. The basic technology is the same in that both television types have two layers of polarized glass through which the liquid crystals both block and pass light. So really, LED TVs are a subset of LCD TVs.

Are you sure you're not confusing LED backlit LCD vs CCFL backlit LCD which are different from micro LED that don't use a backlight and is closer to AMOLED?

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
What bands do you have for your Apple Watch? I know my Sport Band vs my Link Bracelet give it a whole different feel i.e. the link feels way dressier.

The switching of the bands is one of the most intriguing concepts of the Watch. I also have the Stainless Steel link and in black, with a variety of sports bands. It's so easy to switch and completely render the look of the Watch. It's one of the reasons the Watch never looks or feels 'Old' to me.

displayblock

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2014
I don't really understand the sleep? Is this for people with apnea trying to monitor without a sleep study? What's the draw for a sleep monitor? Seems like a feature with even less demand than "breathing".

It's for people that want to make a conscious effort to improve their "sleep hygiene." Just another point of data for those who take the information recorded by fitness trackers seriously.

https://sleepfoundation.org/ask-the-expert/sleep-hygiene

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
This is Apple we're talking about

Exactly. One thing I know when Apple create a standard for their products is that it will last you a number of product generations.

FireWire was in products for 10+ years, 30 pin dock connector also 10+ years, Mini Display Port has been in use about 8 years, Lightning has already been around for 4 years. I see no reason they would switch up the watch bands after 1 generation.

All my analogue watches are bigger/bulkier than my Apple Watch. And I like it that way with traditional time pieces.

Guess it also depends on your overall size (height, weight, wrist circumference). The 42mm would look silly on my wife, but the 38mm would be fine.

indie1982

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
i really don't think mobile payment will ever take off in the near future. People value convenience too much over security and it's just just easier for most people to take a card from their wallet to swipe.

Here in the UK, contactless and mobile payments are booming.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37153565
The use of contactless payments in the first half of the year outstripped use in the whole of 2015 as consumers switched from cash to cards.

Contactless now accounts for 18% of card spending - up from 7% a year ago, the data shows.

Personally I find contactless/mobile more convenient, my wallet is usually in my bag, my phone is usually in my pocket, it's much easier to grab my phone. But we've had chip and pin for years so just about every POS terminal has a chip and pin reader, just about every new model has NFC built in with support for contactless/mobile payments so retailers have just enabled it or swapped them out at upgrade time to let customers use it.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Yes, I'm sure everyone's got easy affordable access to all of that stuff in the video.

I'd rather wait till iFixit can tear it down legit like.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
They are gonna sell a ton of these. So many people are waiting for the 2nd gen to jump in (self included).
They might sell a bunch, or they might not. From the other story about lesser expensive devices selling better than the smart watches, Apple needs to really up their game, and possibly lower the prices of the AW in order to really sell a lot.

I am, so far, remaining mostly uninterested in buying one, even the second gen one supposedly being announced today.

DrScott

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
i really don't think mobile payment will ever take off in the near future. People value convenience too much over security and it's just just easier for most people to take a card from their wallet to swipe. Especially when they only have one main card they use everyday. Also it's even more convenient to stick to the card when they deal with a lot of places that DON"T let you swipe -- you know the places that do the swiping for you. Then you factor in restaurants. It's just the fact that there are too many situations that make having a card mandatory or more "convenient" for the general public.

Merchants have no real incentives to adopt NFC payments, especially when they see the average Joe and Jane are just using plastic or cash to pay. Of course, if you have Samsung Pay, it helps alleviate that problem a little ;)

I'm probably doing 80% of my purchases using my Apple Watch now. Once the banks started to come online here (Australia) the takeup has been very rapid. Here, the banks just give the stores new machines. I think 80% of all transactions in Australia now are contactless (card/watch/phone). There's virtually no situation now where they don't let you use contactless. Restaurants, stores, they're all happy to give you the machine to tap against.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I'm probably doing 80% of my purchases using my Apple Watch now. Once the banks started to come online here (Australia) the takeup has been very rapid. Here, the banks just give the stores new machines. I think 80% of all transactions in Australia now are contactless (card/watch/phone). There's virtually no situation now where they don't let you use contactless. Restaurants, stores, they're all happy to give you the machine to tap against.

Apologies for my premature comment and not thinking about other countries. I was speaking from the perspective here in the United States. The US is really laggin on this front compared to the rest of the modernized world.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
They're more likely to make it iPhone-free than compatible with the iPad (or at least make it iPhone-free before they make it compatible with all Apple devices you own). The AW is meant to be worn all waking hours and it's not practical to carry something as large as the iPad everywhere you go.

You can carry an iPad touch everywhere as easy as a phone. You'd be surprised at the number of purses (and backpacks) that contain an iPad mini.

Keep in mind, the software that runs on the iPod and Mini is already written (they've just chosen to not release it).

I'm happy to be wrong and have it available everywhere at the same time :)

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
You can carry an iPad touch everywhere as easy as a phone. You'd be surprised at the number of purses (and backpacks) that contain an iPad mini.

Keep in mind, the software that runs on the iPod and Mini is already written (they've just chosen to not release it).

I'm happy to be wrong and have it available everywhere at the same time :)

iPod Touch, yes, but not so easy to carry the iPad all waking hours. I'd imagine they'd make it iPhone-free before they make it compatible with the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.