Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

British repair shop Byte got its hands on an alleged Apple Watch 2 display component last week, and since then, has shared several videos showing off its design and comparing it to the display of the first-generation Apple Watch.

In its newest video, published this morning, Byte tore down the Apple Watch 2 display to give us a closer look at its individual components. According to Byte, the display is "the most advanced display of its kind," with an "incredibly thin" build that "incorporates cutting edge technology."

Using extreme cold, Byte was able to remove the display's cover glass and touch panel from the LCD assembly, along with the EMI shields from the chips. As can be seen in the video, the second-generation Apple Watch display incorporates an NXP NFC chip, which was previously a separate component not built into the display in the original Apple Watch.

What appears to be the touchscreen controller is sandwiched between the NFC chip on one side and capacitors on the other, a build that differs from the first generation device. It's not clear why NFC has been relocated to the display assembly, but it may save some internal space.

As we've seen in previous videos, the Apple Watch 2 display component is thinner than the display of the original Apple Watch (2.12 - 2.86mm vs 2.99 - 3.57mm), but given that we've also seen a larger, thicker battery, the Apple Watch 2 is likely to be the same size and shape as the first Apple Watch, despite the display changes.

The leaked Apple Watch 2 battery, which is for the 42mm device, measures in at 334 mAh, up from 246 mAh in the original Apple Watch. That's a 35.7 percent increase, said to be included to boost battery life and to support the GPS chip that's rumored to be in the second-generation device. Apple will unveil the Apple Watch 2 at a media event set to be held tomorrow, September 7.

Article Link: Apple Watch 2 Display Deconstructed Ahead of September 7 Event, Shows Attached NFC Chip

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
MacRumors serving up the deconstructed apple for dessert.

14340294300_6e3beab424_k.jpg

Reactions: AirunJae

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Wonder if having the NFC upfront like that makes it any quicker to use Apple Pay. Though it has never been that slow when I get to use it, I just want more vendors to use it in their POS registers.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
They are gonna sell a ton of these. So many people are waiting for the 2nd gen to jump in (self included).

Me three!

Watch 1 did plenty to justify the price (so much that I keep forgetting awesome things it can do). But it did them all too sloooooowly. Watch OS 3 fixes that. And now a new generation will be even better still—with at least small refinements. Happy to have waited and done without one.

I wanted to wait for gen 3, but Watch OS 3 has convinced me to jump now. I'll hang on to it for 2–4 years before upgrading, and can only imagine how much these will have advanced by then!

Reactions: ksnell and AirunJae

McTool

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2016
"They are gonna sell a ton of these..."
No, they won't. Poor battery, no sleep measuring, needs an iPhone, too expensive...
I use a lot of Apple stuff but the watch doesn't appeal to me. Still hanging on to Fitbit.

Return Zero

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2013
Kentucky
"Using extreme cold..."

I totally just pictured Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze (from Batman & Robin) when I read this.

Attachments

• arnold-schwarzenegger-as-mr-freeze-dr-victor.jpg
    arnold-schwarzenegger-as-mr-freeze-dr-victor.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 172

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
The bands better be compatible

There will be no need to change the band design for many versions of the watch. If you look at it from the side, you can see that they would have to cut its depth in half before they would be forced to change the band mount design. Many other things would prohibit that depth unless they totally design a new watch. Comparing its depth to the Bulova that I wore prior to getting the AW, its about 3/4 the depth of the AW, albeit with a more tapered off design as it gets to the band. I expect this band design to persist for a very long time.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
Wonder if having the NFC upfront like that makes it any quicker to use Apple Pay. Though it has never been that slow when I get to use it, I just want more vendors to use it in their POS registers.

i really don't think mobile payment will ever take off in the near future. People value convenience too much over security and it's just just easier for most people to take a card from their wallet to swipe. Especially when they only have one main card they use everyday. Also it's even more convenient to stick to the card when they deal with a lot of places that DON"T let you swipe -- you know the places that do the swiping for you. Then you factor in restaurants. It's just the fact that there are too many situations that make having a card mandatory or more "convenient" for the general public.

Merchants have no real incentives to adopt NFC payments, especially when they see the average Joe and Jane are just using plastic or cash to pay. Of course, if you have Samsung Pay, it helps alleviate that problem a little ;)

AirunJae

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Me three!

Watch 1 did plenty to justify the price (so much that I keep forgetting awesome things it can do). But it did them all too sloooooowly. Watch OS 3 fixes that. And now a new generation will be even better still—with at least small refinements. Happy to have waited and done without one.

I wanted to wait for gen 3, but Watch OS 3 has convinced me to jump now. I'll hang on to it for 2–4 years before upgrading, and can only imagine how much these will have advanced by then!

I jumped in on Gen1 and have enjoyed it. I agree that the apps are typically pretty slow, but I mostly use it for notifications, fitness stuff, changing songs on my iPhone, and pinging my iPhone when I've forgotten where I laid it down. I think OS3 plus the new processor is going to be speedy.

Reactions: mdelvecchio
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.