Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a new article centered on the first-year sales of the Apple Watch, The Wall Street Journal reports that Apple is working on including cellular network connectivity and a faster processor in the so-called Apple Watch 2.
There are relatively easy fixes for some concerns. Apple is working on adding cell-network connectivity and a faster processor to its next-generation Watch, according to people familiar with the matter.
The addition of standalone cell-network connectivity onto the wrist-worn device could bring some benefits to users, particularly those who are frustrated with the current generation's heavy reliance on a tethered iPhone to provide basic iMessage and phone call functionality. Although such a feature would undoubtedly require an additional data plan, on top of one they might already have for both the iPhone and iPad, benefits like using GPS, making phone calls, and streaming Apple Music without an iPhone nearby could outweigh the cons for some users.

iphonedualapplewatch-800x528.jpg

The new hints given for the next-generation Apple Watch come on the heels of a collection of rumors that point to the upcoming version of Apple's wearable gaining much-requested independence from the iPhone. Apple began implementing a third-party push for iPhone independency by announcing that all watchOS apps submitted to the App Store after June 1, 2016 will be required to be native applications.

Such updates to watchOS, which Apple introduced in watchOS 2, allow the wearable device to open apps more quickly and provide a smoother experience to users, instead of having to transmit data back and forth between a Bluetooth-connected iPhone. The mention of "a faster processor" in today's report is something largely expected from a product update cycle by Apple, but it should compound the company's efforts to introduce an all-around faster UI for the Apple Watch 2.

Using speculative analyst analysis, The Wall Street Journal also compared the first year of the Apple Watch to the first year sales run of the iPhone, from 2007 to 2008. The analyst estimate puts Apple Watch sales at 12 million units from its launch on April 24, 2015 to the same day in 2016. That number is double the original iPhone's sales of 6 million units in its first year.

The latest rumors for the Apple Watch 2 conflict somewhat in regards to upgrade stats and release dates. One report has suggested that the new wearable will be 40 percent thinner and launch as soon as June, while a more recent research note from KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo points to only minor form factor changes and a heavier focus on internal improvements. Kuo predicted the Apple Watch 2 will launch in the fall, alongside the iPhone 7.

Article Link: Apple Watch 2 Rumored to Include Cellular Connectivity Amid Push for iPhone Independency

Reactions: Jal217

TurboPGT!

Suspended
Sep 25, 2015
That doesn't make it independent, and it doesn't need to be anyway.

The only thing the Apple Watch needs is to be faster. And maybe, in a future model, larger.

Reactions: bobob and Dr.Chroma

irfuel

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2014
Maybe they could include a battery that lasts longer than 1.5 days ...

Bought a Pebble a couple of weeks ago. It does 90% of what the Apple Watch does, costs a fraction and has a battery that lasts a week. And they don't exclude devs from accessing all the features.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
Although such a feature would undoubtedly require an additional data plan,

Or maybe not as there are allready offers available that share one data plan over 2 devices.
Perfect solution would be 2 devices on just 1 celluar number, so one would get calls on the watch if the phone isn't near.

Reactions: mwd25 and Arran

R3k

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2011
Sep 7, 2011
Good developments. Im sure many people would sometime like to leave their phones at home and still have connectivity when they go out, say for a coffee.

Grab keys and walk out.

That said, personally, im still not interested in the device.

djcerla

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2015
Italy
Maybe they could include a battery that lasts longer than 1.5 days ...

Bought a Pebble a couple of weeks ago. It does 90% of what the Apple Watch does, costs a fraction and has a battery that lasts a week. And they don't exclude devs from accessing all the features.

Nowhere near 90%, and nowhere near as nicely.

The analyst estimate puts Apple Watch sales at 12 million units from its launch on April 24, 2015 to the same day in 2016. That number is double the original iPhone's sales of 6 million units in its first year.

And yet, in the twisted imagination of forum commenters and pundits, the Apple Watch is a flop. Far from that. It's version 1.0, go have a coffee and imagine v. 4.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
hehe... speaking clearly

George Jetson reality hour. Users will see the battery drop faster than a led balloon. The watch gets a day (or so) now,,, isn't that the original reason, and probably still stands, as Apple *didn't* do any of this ?

So, what has changed dramatically ?

dbc34

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
I just want a true GPS, and a way to play apple music playlists that don't include songs that I have paid for in the old itunes model(you may be able to do this and I just don't know it yet).

EDIT: Decided to look up how to do it...DONE!

Last edited:

rp2011

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2010
I'm not sure the technology and battery life are there for a good cellular Apple watch yet. I would be happy to be proven wrong, but I don't see this happening any time soon. Unless Apple has a great surprise advancements up it's sleave technology-wise.

I would definitely buy one and leave my phone at home for many activities.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
If the AW2 requires an additional data plan, I still better be able to piggyback off of the 15GB w/rollover plan I currently have with AT&T. No way am I paying an additional fee to have my AW added to my plan along with the two iPhone's currently on it.

I know it's too early to speculate, but I'll hold on to my AW if this is the case.

Reactions: Ladyc0524 and mwd25

Cyberpower678

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2015
Everywhere
I can see the benefits to an independent watch, but that would mean a need for a faster processor, and the ability to download apps independent of an iPhone. Apple Watch App Store?? Theoretically the processors are pretty fast, probably comparable to iPhone/iPad class processors, but they are severely underpowered to prevent any heat exhaust. Unless, people like getting circles burned into their wrists nowadays. I could be behind the times here.

What I'm wondering is if the data service will be something like the kindle, that is free LTE for the watch, or if it will become it's own phone, in which case a SIM is required.

What really needs to happen is that the apple watch needs to be pair-able with Android. (Yes, I just said that) If they are working to make the watch more independent, then there's no need to make it incompatible with Android. Sure there won't be as much symbiotic integration as with iOS, but you know...you can make an App for that. That would definitely go a long way to make the watch much more sellable, if android users, who like and want one, to actually be able to use one.

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
After wearing the Watch for a year now, the only things that could make me upgrade to v2 is faster speed AND iPhone independence over cellular. I'll pay the likely $10/month data add-on. I expect receiving calls would work like a cellular iPad, for FaceTime audio calls or if your carrier supports NumberSync. Just pair it with a Bluetooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.