Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
There are no new or obvious features or speed improvements or external bug fixes in 3.1.1 beta 4 - that I've noticed. I'll report back after a full day of battery usage.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I'm running iOS 10 beta on my iPhone 7 Plus just fine. When I click Apple Watch it installs a beta profile onto my Apple Watch app and prompts to reboot the watch after. That's the entire misunderstanding here is it sets up the Apple Watch app for the beta profile and reboots to provision the watch itself for the beta, however there's no beta update despite the profile being installed. Since it's restricted to developers, why is the profile available on the general beta page for the public?

I understand your point about installing an iOS profile on the watch...but what logic in the world does that have? What's the goal of Apples beta page offering to do that? Isn't it reasonable for end users to expect it to do something?

Anyway I really don't care, I'm out.

Did you literally not read anything I posted and then you went on another rant about the same exact thing. Look at your own screenshot. You are installing the iOS Profile on your watch NOT the watchOS Profile. It what world do you think they are the same thing?

I will literally copy and paste what I said:

"That is merely a popup asking where you want to install the profile you have downloaded. It is the iOS 10 profile, not the watchOS 3 profile. iOS does not know what the profile is until you click install, but you have to select the destination first. Its just like installing software on your computer, you select the installation destination first, then it tells you what you are about to install."

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Coolbreeze, you are installing the iOS beta profile to your watch. Of course it won't work. The only misunderstanding is your assumption that this profile will do something for the watch. It won't.

Thanks. This makes a lot of sense. I guess I still don't understand the purpose of Apple offering to install an iOS beta profile on a watch when it does absolutely nothing. Seems like a counter intuitive concept, but I get it now. Thank you.

mlrollin91: I read all of it. No need to get hostile. I get it. Installing an iOS profile on a watch does nothing. Cool and very logical.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Thanks. This makes a lot of sense. I guess I still don't understand the purpose of Apple offering to install an iOS beta profile on a watch when it does absolutely nothing. Seems like a counter intuitive concept, but I get it now. Thank you.

mlrollin91: I read all of it. No need to get hostile. I get it. Installing an iOS profile on a watch does nothing. Cool and very logical.

Your not understanding though. The watch doesn't know its an iOS profile until after you click install. The phone is merely asking you to select the install destination. Then it realizes what profile you are trying to install. It has to give you the option or you would never be able to install the watchOS profile.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Your not understanding though. The watch doesn't know its an iOS profile until after you click install. The phone is merely asking you to select the install destination. Then it realizes what profile you are trying to install. It has to give you the option or you would never be able to install the watchOS profile.
I get it. What's one use case for installing an iOS profile on a watch? Genuinely curious.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I get it. What's one use case for installing an iOS profile on a watch? Genuinely curios.

There is no case unless you no longer wanted to received watch updates. If you wanted to stay on 3.1 and never update again, the iOS profile will prevent any future updates from being downloaded and installed. People install the TvOS profile on their phones so they don't get iOS updates anymore.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
There is no case unless you no longer wanted to received watch updates. If you wanted to stay on 3.1 and never update again, the iOS profile will prevent any future updates from being downloaded and installed. People install the TvOS profile on their phones so they don't get iOS updates anymore.
Perfect, thanks. Have a good day.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I understand coolbreezes point. iOS 10 won't let you install the iPhone 6 OS on an iPhone 7. For some reason, the profile hardware checks are different or ambiguous when it comes to installing. Sure Apple could probably give you an error when installing to the wrong device, but my guess is like I said, a profile is a profile. iOS nor watchOS differentiates between which one is mean for which device. Why Apple does it? Who knows. Maybe it's a limitation of the OS or kernel.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
3.1.1 beta 4, gen 1 Watch. Put on at 9.30 am today and it's now 23.58 and I have 45% battery left. I used as I normally do. Seems a great increase in battery life.

Reactions: ErikGrim

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 10, 2008
United States
^ Not seeing an increase in battery life in 3.1.1 beta 4.

Same battery life as always for me around this time. Put on watch at 10AM, it's now 4 PM, battery is at 70%

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Crap. Beta 4 has put my Series 2 into an infinite loop and it won't finish updating. For two hours the dash circle around the Apple is going back and forth a tick. Kind of like a clock going back and forth between 3:14 and 3:15 .

Can anyone tell me how you go about sending your watch back to Apple for the reboot?

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
I think the "back and forth" you're seeing is actually a change they made to the progress circle where it blinks the last line/bar to show that the watch is active and hasn't crashed - I noticed the same behaviour on the last public update and it did it all the way through the progress.

Of course that doesn't mean that yours isn't stuck on something and isn't progressing further... :/

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I think the "back and forth" you're seeing is actually a change they made to the progress circle where it blinks the last line/bar to show that the watch is active and hasn't crashed - I noticed the same behaviour on the last public update and it did it all the way through the progress.

Of course that doesn't mean that yours isn't stuck on something and isn't progressing further... :/
Ah cool. Thanks for the info. I'll give it a few more hours before I disturb it.

RadioGaGa1984

Suspended
May 23, 2015
3.1.1 beta 4, gen 1 Watch. Put on at 9.30 am today and it's now 23.58 and I have 45% battery left. I used as I normally do. Seems a great increase in battery life.

My battery on Gen 1 seems to have tanked I took off charger at 6am now 5pm and Im at 35% normally would be at about 60% or 70%.
No change in activity or usage

EDIT: Un-pair and Re-pair seems to have taken care of it. Off at 6am today and now 5:30pm and I'm at 72%

Last edited:

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Is it just me, or have the editable elements of watch faces started to "pulse" when you're customizing them? Indication that Apple hasn't completely forgotten about new watch faces?

friednoodles

Suspended
Feb 4, 2014
When editing a watch face, the selected editing element has always pulsed (since watchOS 1). I think we're more likely to get a new watch face or two with every major watchOS release, not as part of point releases.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Into Day 2 following update: battery life was poor yesterday (expectedly so). Still not great today: 85% after 1hr:49min of usage and 2hr:48min of standby. Extrapolated, would be about 13-14 of hours of charge. Still, not unexpected, but hopefully will improve over time.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Into Day 2 following update: battery life was poor yesterday (expectedly so). Still not great today: 85% after 1hr:49min of usage and 2hr:48min of standby. Extrapolated, would be about 13-14 of hours of charge. Still, not unexpected, but hopefully will improve over time.

As expected, battery life much improved after 2 days.

Reactions: Danny182

Type4O

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Random stand hours in the middle of the night is still happening. I can be a restless sleeper, so I wonder if when I particularly restless, it thinks I am being active?

Reactions: cmbauer

cmbauer

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2016
I loaded the latest beta yesterday and my battery tanked big time. This morning I unpaired and repaired loaded the backup and it seems to be back to normal.

With the new beta, I went to bed with around 89 percent and woke up with like 70, that was with Airplane and DND on. Usually I lose about 5 percent at most.

Will report back after today
[doublepost=1481043321][/doublepost]
Random stand hours in the middle of the night is still happening. I can be a restless sleeper, so I wonder if when I particularly restless, it thinks I am being active?

I was actually seeing this as well. I enjoyed because by 2 pm, I met my stand goal and could be lazy the rest of theday! ha

TwiceNightly

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2008
I haven't found a way to other than to take the Apple Watch off your wrist.

Hey guys, not sure if you ever worked this out but it's in control centre - swipe up from the bottom to get control centre, scroll down slightly and the lock is there, I use it all the time.

Reactions: planetf1

chuyn

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2015
Hey guys, not sure if you ever worked this out but it's in control centre - swipe up from the bottom to get control centre, scroll down slightly and the lock is there, I use it all the time.
As of the 3.1.1 betas, it is no longer there. It used to be but it's been removed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.