Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
I searched and did not see a related post, so excuse me if this has been discussed.

What happens as far as time with the Watch when traveling? I know that the phone will update to the current timezone. Will the watch automatically do this as well? I'm using a couple of itinerary apps during my travels to give it a go and kinda would like to know who's on first. LOL.

I'm on west coast and use one of the icons/ widgets (don't know what these are called) to display east coast time to have on hand when I call family. So will it all be screwy and I'll have to switch them.

Reactions: Bigdog9586

Bigdog9586

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2015
Hopefully not hijacking this when coming back from overseas they wouldn't let you board the plane with a laptop/smartphone unless you could prove it works/boots. I wonder how the watch will fit in.

Reactions: menace3

iwayne

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Santa Clara, California
everything will switch except that secondary timezone widget, you're gonna have to set it to somewhere else if you want, as it will still show the east coast time you set

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I flew recently and wasn't asked to demonstrate any of the iPads, kindles or iPhones we were carrying (two of each!). I doubt they would be massively worried about a smartwatch as it is too small to contain significant explosives. If they are worried then just show the time - simples!

I don't have my watch yet, but I would anticipate that it will change timezone automatically if your iPhone is set to do this? As for other timezones, I would use the world clock feature built in to help with this?

menace3

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2008
Seattle, WA
everything will switch except that secondary timezone widget, you're gonna have to set it to somewhere else if you want, as it will still show the east coast time you set

Gotcha. Thanks. So I'll set the widget for west coast time. So everything will just be reversed. Awesome. Didnt know if there's a way to keep it as is

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I'm going to Egypt at the end of the month and was curious as to whether the watch would automatically update to the new time zone.

H3rman

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2015
It does automatically update just like your phone. Used it abroad myself just last week.

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
The Watch will update to the correct time once your iPhone updates itself (and you re-connect the Watch to the iPhone.)

jonfarr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2012
Portland
Gotcha. Thanks. So I'll set the widget for west coast time. So everything will just be reversed. Awesome. Didnt know if there's a way to keep it as is
Going out of the country soon for my honeymoon and will be doing this as well. I'm just gonna set the world clock widget to west coast time. Looking forwards to trying this out across the world.

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Just actually landed back stateside from Rome a few minutes ago. Apple watch time updated automatically while abroad. I had the widget set to show me CST back home. Also, I kept the watch on my wrist going through security at domestic airports with no trouble. I took it off and placed it in a bin with other personal items while going through security at FCO in Rome to avoid any questioning. Colleagues in Rome were pretty excited to see the watch on my wrist since they are not selling it in Italy set.

Bigdog9586

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2015
I flew recently and wasn't asked to demonstrate any of the iPads, kindles or iPhones we were carrying (two of each!). I doubt they would be massively worried about a smartwatch as it is too small to contain significant explosives. If they are worried then just show the time - simples!

I don't have my watch yet, but I would anticipate that it will change timezone automatically if your iPhone is set to do this? As for other timezones, I would use the world clock feature built in to help with this?
This happened to me last summer coming from China and again in December coming from Amsterdam. I understand this is only when flying into the U.S.

ElctrcJellyfish

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2015
(1) I've never had to show anyone any of my devices booting up, and they haven't asked about the watch.
(2) The timezone updates as soon as the Watch is connected to a phone that has updated the timezone automatically.
(3) If you're going east, and you want to get your stand goal for the day, beware--you'll lose a bunch of hours in the day and so you have to be prepared for that. Make sure you stand on the plane. (On the other hand, going west is ridiculously easy.)

Donstil-nl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
Netherlands
Hopefully not hijacking this when coming back from overseas they wouldn't let you board the plane with a laptop/smartphone unless you could prove it works/boots. I wonder how the watch will fit in.

I have traveled alot (europe > US. US >Europe) and now I am even in Canada and the U.S. For my Holiday but I have never had to proof my MacBook/iPad/iPhone booted. Not in Europe going to the states and never in the states coming from Europe.

I have traveled with my watch (Used it as my Boardig pass btw) but they just don't care about it. For most people it's just a square watch.

I searched and did not see a related post, so excuse me if this has been discussed.

What happens as far as time with the Watch when traveling? I know that the phone will update to the current timezone. Will the watch automatically do this as well? I'm using a couple of itinerary apps during my travels to give it a go and kinda would like to know who's on first. LOL.

I'm on west coast and use one of the icons/ widgets (don't know what these are called) to display east coast time to have on hand when I call family. So will it all be screwy and I'll have to switch them.

Works great. The watch takes the time of the iPhone. So if you change time zones and have cell reception the watch changes. This because the cell tower sends time with its signal. It's not coming from the Internet or something.

larrywoods3

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2015
I've traveled back and forth from Dubai a couple of times since I received my watch and can tell you that the watch automatically updates when the phone switches time zones. Also, as far as the turning on of devices when traveling, I have yet to have an issue and only a few people in the countries that I visited knew what it was.

Reactions: TVTechGrl

Shinigami301

Suspended
Jun 5, 2010
cogito, ergo zoom.
Flew from USA through Paris to Turkey and back last week.

Had no trouble with time zones. And USB outlets in business class work fine with the inductive charger.

Only time I've had to boot a computer in the past decade was once, going through Heathrow airport. Maybe in 04? Can't remember.

I'm one of those people who had to have extra pages put into my passport to handle the number of stamps. Lots of travel.

sxc

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2007
Works great. The watch takes the time of the iPhone. So if you change time zones and have cell reception the watch changes. This because the cell tower sends time with its signal. It's not coming from the Internet or something.
I don't think this is 100% accurate. The phone will work out its time zone from the cell tower and GPS but the actual setting of what the time is, is done via the Internet by syncing with a NTP server.

So if you change time zone and don't have data, the time zone will update but the time itself won't change until it can connect to the Internet.

Reactions: bevbrown42

Donstil-nl

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2008
Netherlands
So if you change time zone and don't have data, the time zone will update but the time itself won't change until it can connect to the Internet.

Nope there is no GPS and Internet involved. Every time a GSM connects to a cell tower the date and time gets synced. If there is a change. Like traveling from one zone to another or Stepping of a plane, the time gets synced automatically.

This (like poster above confirms) works for all phone. And has worked for many years.

I have traveled from GMT-8 to GMT-7 by car today (and last week from -7 to -8) and got no data here but it synced perfectly. No data involved.

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
Interesting on the source of time zone change. Based on the behaviour I have previously seen I also thought a data connection was needed. I'm happy if I'm wrong as that makes the feature more useful.

Given that the option lives down under Location Services, I was also under the impression that it uses your GPS location to decide what the time zone should be. Any opinions on whether GPS is used?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.