Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

claimed4all

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2008
Any word on a activation lock similar to the iPhone? So the watch would be usless if stolen, or till the correct iTunes password is punched in.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Saving battery is something that might interest an iPhone user or two.

The problem is resource limitations. It takes an obscene amount of work to maintain multiple versions of the UI for an OS. At the end of the day, it just isn't worth it.

Source: I worked at a company that once offered multiple "themes" for a complex software product. Maintaining the multiple UIs became a losing proposition and we were forced to cut it. Only a handful of users complained.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
They are not the new first world, they have the largest population numbers WHILE being first world (in other words, they are the biggest target markets for tech). Whereas the "happiest" and pretty rich countries like Denmark, Finland and super-technological Norway get everything later, because of a several-million population.

It is not the population of those countries but the huge import tariffs and bizarre retail distribution agreements that has to do with the way merchant sales have run in Scandinavia for centuries. To this day, the residents of Copenhagen has been screaming for an Apple Store on the Strøget. Many landlords have said they would bend over backwards to have an Apple store on their building on the Strøget.

Issue is some of the most bizarre and antiquated distributions systems are still common law in Scandinavian countries that makes Elon Musk's fight against auto dealer networks look tame. The fact there is a direct Bang & Olufsen store and not an Apple store on the Strøget screams cronyism.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
How is it that he is able to get away with posting these screenshots. Even for public beta testers, this is prohibited.

They aren't actually screenshots; each pixel is a low quality leaked photo of an unreleased Apple product.

Laptopdog78

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2014
Err, iOS has always had a dark mode.

Settings -> General -> Accessibility -> Invert Colors

This is a long way round.....
Just triple click the home button!!
But it's not actually a dark mode, go to your apps screen and it's like your off your head!!

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
Saving battery is something that might interest an iPhone user or two.

This doesn't apply on the iPhone because it doesn't have an AMOLED display. On the iPhone a backlight is always on while the phone is in use, even when the entire screen is black. On the Watch there is no backlight, as each pixel is lit independently. Therefore, while a black background is displayed on the Watch most of the pixels are turned off, saving energy.

Last edited:

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
The problem is resource limitations. It takes an obscene amount of work to maintain multiple versions of the UI for an OS. At the end of the day, it just isn't worth it.

Source: I worked at a company that once offered multiple "themes" for a complex software product. Maintaining the multiple UIs became a losing proposition and we were forced to cut it. Only a handful of users complained.

Been there myself. We had one customer sell a load of BS to a marketing guy that had us spend weeks coding a bunch of looks, custom bitmaps and even behaviors for a specific distribution channel. It almost 10x the maintenance and build variations.

curxxx

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2015
United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan and United Kingdom

These countries are the new first world, people. If your country isn't on this list, you're basically living in the stone age.

(Personally I'm surprised Canada made it)

Hey, Canada is ahead just like every other first world country, personally, I'm offended.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
This doesn't apply on the iPhone because it doesn't have an AMOLED display. On the iPhone a backlight is always on while the phone is in use, even when the entire screen is black. On the Watch there is no backlight, as each pixel is lit independently. Therefore, while a black background is displayed on the Watch most of the pixels are turned off, saving energy.

I stand corrected. Thanks for the information. Interesting stuff.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Any word on a activation lock similar to the iPhone? So the watch would be usless if stolen, or till the correct iTunes password is punched in.

Think that is integrated. For apple pay it only works when it's connected to your wrist... when you put in on again you have to enter a code - not sure how that works though

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
I just don't get it, man... the thing is two inches from your phone when your hands are at your sides. To each their own...

More like 3 feet! I put my watch on my left wrist and phone in my right pocket. :p That is pretty funny to think about though, for those who place it on the same side.

----------

United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan and United Kingdom

These countries are the new first world, people. If your country isn't on this list, you're basically living in the stone age.

(Personally I'm surprised Canada made it)

Made me LOL. I can feel the cringe of every Canadian out there. :cool:

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
I just don't get it, man... the thing is two inches from your phone when your hands are at your sides. To each their own...

Yup. And believe it or not, this can change the social scene where people will not be staring at their phones the whole trip of on a bus, just glancing on their watches and being more social.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
I don't think so. These watch-related apps are dark for consistency with the watch UI. Not using bright backgrounds saves battery life.

Since the iPhone 6s will probably get force touch it will need an OLED display to go along with it.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
There is no GPS in the watch and wifi won't help

But your iPhone has. The app would remember the last GPS position from the iPhone while the Apple Watch was connected, in other words where you "lost" it. Just the same way like Find my iPhone can remember the iPhone's last position before the battery dies.

----------

Since the iPhone 6s will probably get force touch it will need an OLED display to go along with it.

Good point - I think we'll really see iOS 9 with dark mode. Also since there won't be many other new features, it makes even more sense. In 3 months we'll know. ;)

J4B3

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Gamma Quadrant
Finally some info on music syncing!

"Synced Playlist: This playlist syncs when Apple Watch is on its charger. Once it's synced, this playlist will be available on Apple Watch even when it's out of range of your iPhone."

I wish you could select multiple playlists, so you could always have some favourite albums loaded, but this should allow for a smart playlist like 'least recently played' to effectively randomize your loadout daily.

I've personally gave up on iTunes years ago. I want to know if Spotify will release an Apple Watch app. Since you can store playlists locally on Spotify, I see no reason why that couldn't implement a "save and sync playlist" feature as well.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007

The Watch does lock when it is removed from your wrist, requiring a passcode to unlock again.

Presumably it can't then be reset or paired with another iPhone without knowing the unlock code.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.