Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS developer Hamza Sood has shared further screenshots of the official Apple Watch app on iOS 8.2, providing a closer look at what the companion software looks like after pairing an Apple Watch. In particular, the screenshots reveal an Apple Watch setting menu for configuring the app layout, notifications, glances, brightness and text size, sounds and haptics, individual apps, internal options, and more.

Apple-Watch-Settings-800x472.png
Apple Watch settings are similar to those found on iPhone, with About, Software Update and Automatic Downloads menus under General alongside options to adjust the watch orientation, accessibility, language and region, and Apple ID settings. Two toggle switches allow for Handoff and wrist detection to be enabled, the latter of which locks your Apple Watch when you're not using it to keep your information secure.
A few more interesting things. You can select playlists to sync accros, with an adjustable limit up to 2GB pic.twitter.com/d40El8N9sq - Hamza Sood (@hamzasood) March 13, 2015
Sood has shared a full gallery of screenshots with 9to5Mac, which provided the first look at the Apple Watch app back in January based on code compiled by developer Steven Troughton-Smith. The additional screenshots show individual settings for Airplane Mode, Activity, Brightness and Text Size, Workout, Contacts, Friends, Maps, Messages, Passcode, Privacy, Photos, Stocks, Watch Orientation and more.

Apple Watch will be available April 24, with pre-orders starting April 10 in the first wave of launch countries: United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan and United Kingdom. The wrist-worn device starts at $349 for the Apple Watch Sport, while the stainless steel models will retail for between $549 to $1,099 and the 18-karat gold Apple Watch Edition will cost up to $17,000.

Article Link: Apple Watch Companion App Revealed in New Screenshots From iOS 8.2

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I don't want an Apple watch, I don't want an Apple watch, I don't want an Apple watch, I don't want an Apple watch...

When do preorders start?

Narcaz

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
Dark theme is looking very sexy. Possible dark mode in iOS 9?

Edit: Some options like Mirroring are interesting: Select airplane mode on the iPhone -> Watch goes into airplane mode too.

Last edited:

griz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
New London, NH
The health app tracks steps without a watch. Why not give this to everyone? I also wouldn't mind more front and center health reminders.
"It's getting late and you only did 5000 out of your target 6000 steps. Go grab a quick walk and hit your goal."

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan and United Kingdom

These countries are the new first world, people. If your country isn't on this list, you're basically living in the stone age.

(Personally I'm surprised Canada made it)

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
How is it that he is able to get away with posting these screenshots. Even for public beta testers, this is prohibited.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
The health app tracks steps without a watch. Why not give this to everyone? I also wouldn't mind more front and center health reminders.
"It's getting late and you only did 5000 out of your target 6000 steps. Go grab a quick walk and hit your goal."

"You did 10,000 over your target 5,000 steps, go drink another beer ... actually make it two."

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
I go between 'I was crazy to think if ever buy one' and 'the second pre ordering starts, I'm going to buy a watch' with very little middle ground.

mitty

macrumors regular
May 21, 2010
Melbourne
This would be the Apple Watch app that those of us with no intention of buying the Apple Watch can't frakking uninstall.

Trius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
This would be the Apple Watch app that those of us with no intention of buying the Apple Watch can't frakking uninstall.

It would be nice if in the settings you could toggle on and off the built in apps.

sparkhill

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
Before some people has collective *****-fit, isn't 8.2 still beta and how big is the file? iBooks is under 40 MB (no big deal) whole some other Apple apps are closer to 1 GB.

level1807

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2013
United States, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan and United Kingdom

These countries are the new first world, people. If your country isn't on this list, you're basically living in the stone age.

(Personally I'm surprised Canada made it)

They are not the new first world, they have the largest population numbers WHILE being first world (in other words, they are the biggest target markets for tech). Whereas the "happiest" and pretty rich countries like Denmark, Finland and super-technological Norway get everything later, because of a several-million population.

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Finally some info on music syncing!

"Synced Playlist: This playlist syncs when Apple Watch is on its charger. Once it's synced, this playlist will be available on Apple Watch even when it's out of range of your iPhone."

I wish you could select multiple playlists, so you could always have some favourite albums loaded, but this should allow for a smart playlist like 'least recently played' to effectively randomize your loadout daily.

CharlieBrandt09

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2012
Southern NJ
"You did 10,000 over your target 5,000 steps, go drink another beer ... actually make it two."

I dunno - the addiction can get bad. My wife has a FitBit and started with the 10K/day goal. A month later - she gets pissed if she doesn't eclipse 20K. She will literally run in place at night while we watch TV.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
How is it that he is able to get away with posting these screenshots. Even for public beta testers, this is prohibited.

The developer agreement is worded so this is not allowed. However, if he is an overseas developer, it is very hard to enforce and extradite. Also, many of these developers don't care if their account is killed over a confidentiality breech. They just get another Apple ID and open a new developer account. I know many with multiple accounts. One is their "good boy" account with their store apps and such. The other is the "bad boy" account that they use to abuse the **** out of and crack the libraries. Then there is the MFi developers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.