Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patjem

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
Barcelona
I rose my wrist, talked the magic words to Siri on AW: "Please make a reminder to start my AppleTV at 9th of September'

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
To be fair, "Willkommen AUF der Apple Watch" sounds even a bit strange for a German native speaker – the context of "auf" seems unclear to me here. Otherwise, the translation by "ArtOfWarfare" was perfect.
But since we are talking about Austria, everything there sounds strange.

cwt1nospam

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
Absent data from Apple, this is how you know the watch is doing well. If it weren't, they'd have excess supply, which they would then sell into more markets. The fact that so many countries still don't have the Apple watch is a good indication that it's selling well where available.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Shouldn't they just release the watch once everywhere. By now they could've had an Apple Watch 2 or something.

Unfortunately no.

Scandinavian has some of the worst cronyism for retail distribution throughout Europe. These countries distribution agreements are based very long term contracts setting up rigid vertical arrangements to where you can trace every product on a retail floor to the cargo ship, docking and unloading time and even shipping crate.

While the party line is "quality and security control" the reality it is all about keeping competition from bypassing a merchant tradition going back to the middle ages. Some of the families running these distribution chain goes back centuries.

This is why you don't see an Apple Store in Denmark.

Reactions: V.K.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Absent data from Apple, this is how you know the watch is doing well. If it weren't, they'd have excess supply, which they would then sell into more markets. The fact that so many countries still don't have the Apple watch is a good indication that it's selling well where available.
Absent data from Apple, there is nothing that can be gleaned from this. Even if was selling horribly and they had excess supply, they wouldn't flood the market with inventory. More likely this is a controlled rollout; designed to keep the watch in the media over time. Whether it's selling well or not, Apple probably has a set schedule to launch the watch.

Reactions: Straight Meta

HVDynamo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
Maybe it's just me, but a launch without any products available to be sold is not a launch. April 24 was a mess not a launch. Everything seems to be good now, but can we please not call April 24 a launch? Thank you.

Then what other date should it be? Yes, there where problems, but the watch was still officially launched on that day.

dearfriendx

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2011
San Diego, CA
Great news! I love my Apple Watch. I've only encountered my first problem with mine today and it was fixed swiftly with a restart. Glad other countries can experience one soon.

Reactions: JeffyTheQuik

Targets R Us

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2012
re: Willkommen auf der Apple-Watch!

My high school German is a bit rusty, but I would translate that as: Welcome to the Apple Watch!

-Jeff

Reactions: JeffyTheQuik

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
re: Willkommen auf der Apple-Watch!

My high school German is a bit rusty, but I would translate that as: Welcome to the Apple Watch!

-Jeff
That's what I put into the translator, and it sounded gut er... good to me, but with my grandparents speaking Germish around me (German/English), my translations may be a bit off the high German, but more Berliner (I know... a donut).

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
Very good! Welcome to the Apple Watch!

That'd probably be:

Sehr gut! Willkommen zur Apple Watch.

but you wouldn't say that. maybe in austrian:

Sea guad! Vü spaß mit da wotsch! (Very good. Have much fun with the watch!)

depends, where exactly you're coming from.

but thanks!

p.s.: already got it from germany

elmaco

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2012
Best AW feature, besides timekeeping, is the ability to select music and control the volume. I use it all the time.

AW also works really well with a wireless headset at the gym. I wish there was support for pod casts though.

Straight Meta

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2015
Duolingo says I'm 7% proficient in German so far so I'm going to give this a try as the first time I'm seeing German outside the app:

Very good! Welcome from the Apple Watch!

Actually, he wrote "Welcome on the Apple Watch". Welcome can't be used the same way in German as in English. The closest thing that would make sense would be "Österreich heißt die Apple Watch willkommen", which barely means what you were trying to say.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
That'd probably be:

Sehr gut! Willkommen zur Apple Watch.

but you wouldn't say that. maybe in austrian:

Sea guad! Vü spaß mit da wotsch! (Very good. Have much fun with the watch!)

depends, where exactly you're coming from.

but thanks!

p.s.: already got it from germany
I hope you enjoy it as much as I have enjoyed mine. For me, it is a matter of convenience, and using Apple Pay is just the cherry on top of the ice cream!

(At least no one complained about the Sehr gut! part:D !

hctWien

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Vienna, Austria
To be fair, "Willkommen AUF der Apple Watch" sounds even a bit strange for a German native speaker – the context of "auf" seems unclear to me here. Otherwise, the translation by "ArtOfWarfare" was perfect.

No, it doesn't sound strange. At least not in Austria and southern Germany. There is quite some variation in German grammar ...;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.