Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MoreAwesomeDanU

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
I own multiple luxury watches, works in tech, and is a big apple fan.

But i just can't see myself buying this thing. The simple fact that something so timeless will be outdated in a few months just does not connect with me.

This reminds me of the aftermarket gold iphones. Luxury and fashion should be timeless, with a sense of history of you owning it. Not something you throw out for a new, updated version every year. Especially when you KNOW this first gen model is gonna be lacking in features.

kettle

macrumors 65816
This watch is fashion first and tech second. Prepare to see pretty faced anorexic females grace fashion magazines. Or guys in expensive suits looking down on us peasants who bulk at the price tag.
This watch is not made for the average Joe. It's for pretty people that like to brag.

The problem is - average Joe is right.

The iWatch will become a symbol of poor value - 99% of similarly expensive/targeted watches will still justify their price tags.

Who really likes to brag about spending big money on chocolate gold coins when they could have spent the same money on actual gold coins?

maybe I'll change my mind when apple figure out how to reflect substance and a sense of eternity.

Last edited:

sputnikv

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
This reminds me of the aftermarket gold iphones. Luxury and fashion should be timeless, with a sense of history of you owning it. Not something you throw out for a new, updated version every year.

what you describe is exactly how fashion works. fashion is anything but timeless, it is a reflection of the times

mr.bee

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2007
Antwerp, belgium
I don't get why Apple is going for a fashion angle over a tech angle.

Because as Ive already said, no one minds an iphone to look the same but a watch is personal and should have a more personal "fashionable" design.

Second because it doesn't has all the sensors Apple wants, the push lies now on the fashion part. They probably won't push the fashion thing so hard with the next versions when more sensors will be implemented.

Antares

macrumors 68000
I don't get why Apple is going for a fashion angle over a tech angle.

Because watches are a fashion piece, first and foremost. The high end version is not meant for tech fans. Apple does have a version of the iWatch for them, though. You'll definitely see advertising and kiosks for the rest of the market. But you need to cater to both demographics.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
The great Apple and their loyal (be it a geek or a hipster or a fashionista or none Or all of the above) fans will be here for a long ride of pure fun.

The watch industry is feeling the big quake already like what Apple did when they revolutionized the mobile computing and telecommunication industries.

So many will be negatively / positively impacted by the disruptions. And yet Apple will save even the lives of their dying or unpopular / less popular competitors.

Phobophobia

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
The iWatch will become a symbol of poor value - 99% of similarly expensive/targeted watches will still justify their price tags.

I think one aspect you are forgetting is brand power. Apple is one of the most valuable brands in the world. I would argue even more valuable than Rolex or any other watchmaker. They have major clout, and I doubt Apple cares if people think the watches are a "poor value". They will sell these in droves. I believe over time it will be a very successful product.

Also, have you considered that not everyone dislikes the design of the Apple Watch? I love it, and think that as it is featured in more and more magazines and high-end stores its appeal will rise. To each their own.

SirCheese

Suspended
Sep 30, 2014
Fort Myers, Florida
The great Apple and their loyal (be it a geek or a hipster or a fashionista or none Or all of the above) fans will be here for a long ride of pure fun.

The watch industry is feeling the big quake already like what Apple did when they revolutionized the mobile computing and telecommunication industries.

So many will be negatively / positively impacted by the disruptions. And yet Apple will save even the lives of their dying or unpopular / less popular competitors.
I doubt the watch industry is feeling anything on an unreleased product.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I'm not convinced that the Apple Watch is going to be a success in the same way the iPod and iPhone have been. But maybe Apple isn't aiming for that. I find it interesting that Apple is trying to mix expensive watches with technology that is constantly evolving and thus has a short lifecycle.

The people I know who own Rolexes or similar watches don't trade up every year or two for the latest and greatest model. On the flip side, does anyone really think people who buy the Apple Watch Edition are going to pass it down from generation to generation the way families typically do with quality timepieces?

I think the Apple Watch is technology that, like most of the products Apple makes today, will be completely obsolete within ten years -- if not sooner.

I guess the Edition is solely about making a fashion statement today rather than having a quality timepiece to pass down to future generations. It will be interesting to see what the upgrade cycle is like for the watch.

vinced45

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2015
Chicago
Apple Marketing at its best.

I won't be buying a gold Watch but I will be buying an Watch or sport edition. They currently aren't marketing the other watches because they don't have to. If the rumors are true with the initial shipment and the split (5-6M with a 50/33/17) then they will easily sellout the Watch and Sport Edition. The gold will take them some time to sell out if they ever if it is going to be between $2000 - $4000. Also yes it may not be a timeless watch but it will definitely keep a high resale value as do all Apple products. If you add in the fact that the value of gold may increase, you be able to sell it for more than you bought it for. Either way it goes Apple will have created another billion dollar revenue stream (e.i. $3-5 Billion). Buy some AAPL now. lol

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Probably another Apple product not being available at "normal" resellers, i.e.:
- Apple Premium Resellers
- Apple Authorised Resellers

Just Apple Store, Apple Store online and select (watch / jewellery) stores..?

BTW, I understand this, it's just showing Apple really is no way near the Apple Computer™ company it once was.

NeXT up: Apple Car available at Car Shows.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
really starting to wonder just what do you get for $349 when most of their ads/marketing appear to be for the rich

I've got a sneaking suspicion you might get a great deal, partly subsidized by the rich spending $4,000 on an Edition watch that has 300% margins (i.e., gold cost $700, internals $100, manufacturing and overhead $200).

Phobophobia

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2003
I'm not convinced that the Apple Watch is going to be a success in the same way the iPod and iPhone have been. But maybe Apple isn't aiming for that. I find it interesting that Apple is trying to mix expensive watches with technology that is constantly evolving and thus has a short lifecycle.

I agree completely with these statements. I am also looking forward to seeing how Apple balances the sometimes opposing factors of mass appeal and luxury, fashion and utility, and timelessness and obsolescence.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007

The people I know who own Rolexes or similar watches don't trade up every year or two for the latest and greatest model. On the flip side, does anyone really think people who buy the Apple Watch Edition are going to pass it down from generation to generation the way families typically do with quality timepieces?

Ahh, but the women I know who have expensive handbags that cost in the multiple thousands of dollars each, they do buy a new handbag every year. And from what I've heard, the sales for those high end fashion items are dominated by the folks who buy a new one every month.
Apple might be stepping into a different game here. Not one that I've ever played in or had interest, but I have friends who play in that sandbox. There is cash available to be spent on stuff that is desired.

cleirac

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2014
I doubt the watch industry is feeling anything on an unreleased product.

http://americasmarkets.usatoday.com/2015/02/18/apple-is-disrupting-two-more-companies/

http://m.seekingalpha.com/article/2926846-fossil-group-desperate-for-an-answer-to-apple-watch

http://www.cultofmac.com/311187/swatch-will-launch-answer-apple-watch-3-months/

http://www.business2community.com/startups/garmin-launches-vivoactive-smartwatch-compete-apple-iwatch-01115231

Blah blah blah ...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.