Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SammyNad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2016
Toronto
The one thing I miss about my Microsoft Band was the integration (and display of info) with Microsoft Health: https://kbdevstorage1.blob.core.windows.net/asset-blobs/4000123_en_1

I've tried - literally - every Apple/Iphone fitness app. I find it very difficult to get a clear reading if I'm improving in quantity (how many times did I make it to the gym this wk, vs last wk) and/or quality (Am I getting stronger? Leaner? And by how much week by week).

Do you know of any web platform that imports Apple Health data, and displays it in a user friendly way? If not, what is the best app - in your opinion - that does this?

Thanks.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
I don't think any program online is allowed to get your health data
Only iPhone apps can through the HealthKit API

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
I don't think any program online is allowed to get your health data
However a 3ed party iOS app could import the data from Health and then display it on it's web portal. As an example WiThings will display (app or web) certain data imported from Health like steps.

Last edited:

bob24

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2012
Dublin, Ireland
It is a design choice by Apple and I don't think they will change any-time soon. Your health data is stored in a specific encrypted area of your phone only. All Apple can see is the encrypted data as part of your iCloud backup f you have one.

This means the data cannot be displayed on a web portal or synchronised with other devices through iCloud.

Those are strong drawbacks for that approach but all in all I personal like it better that way (I am not too keen on a company like fitbit having a clear copy of all the health related data their devices gather about me).

As others have said, the solution if you are OK with sharing your data might be to install an app which can import data from Apple Health on your phone in an unencrypted manner (with your authorisation) and have that app upload it to an online platform.

SammyNad

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2016
Toronto

If that's the case, what is the best way (on the iphone) to gauge improvements (How many times did I go to the gym this week vs last week? How many calories did I burn this wk vs last wk)? Do you use the health app... something else? Thanks.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
If that's the case, what is the best way (on the iphone) to gauge improvements (How many times did I go to the gym this week vs last week? How many calories did I burn this wk vs last wk)? Do you use the health app... something else? Thanks.
The Health app should show that kind of information

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
You can take a look at Gyroscope –
https://gyrosco.pe/

I've been looking at the free version this week, and just paid for a month of the Pro version today. It doesn't do anything with your "stand" data, but looks like it covers everything else...and more.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
The Activity app on the phone does, too, but in a basic way. Doing a workout gives you a little green dot next to each day's completed (or not-completed) activity rings.

That Gyroscope service looks pretty comprehensive, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.