Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Seb Hughes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
Im considering getting the charging dock for the Watch but was wondering is it really worth it? Seems a lot of money for just a dock. Anybody here have one and can share their views on it?

marbla

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2013
Greifswald, Germany
Take this with a grain of salt because I am waiting for my watch to arrive but I ordered the Spigen dock which is half the price even when you ad the cables.

Reactions: Elwots

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
For now, because I only have the Sport band, I'm fine with just the puck and cable. Lays flat on the shelf; easy and simple.

If I get a bracelet, I'll get the Apple dock. Packs flat for my laptop bag, soft surface to keep my SS nice, and comes with a long extra cable.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
It's pricey but high quality materials and build all around, it's surprisingly weighty ad solid but plush at the same time - a luxury item for what it does for sure.
I wish there were a black color option. White is so 90s looking (it's an off white, kinda light cream color tho).

Last edited:

BaddAdvice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2016
I have one and really like it. You can rotate the puck up so you can use the watch in Night Stand mode. Of course, there are cheaper options out there that achieve the same effect, but you know how this Apple stuff goes - their accessories just "work" with their products.

Cubbiemolly

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2016
Canada
Doesn't it have a built in puck and included lightening cable? Those alone make this more affordable. i was considering it because I would then be able to keep the charging puck, that came with the watch, in my laptop bag for work. Please let me know if my info on this is wrong.

Sarah

pcall1128

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2015
Pennsylvania
I have the apple "UFO" charger as well, and I like it. It looks awesome IMO, works flawlessly for what I need it to do. One thing that I can say is it can handle any band on the watch as opposed to other stands that won't support it if you have a heavier band on it, i.e. Link bracelet.

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Some chargers may fail to support the watch with a heaver band, but the Evolution Lab Nightstand can handle them all.
It's also a chunky nugget unlike the half-inch thick Apple dock (wide, sure, but as flat as the watch).

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Doesn't it have a built in puck and included lightening cable? Those alone make this more affordable. i was considering it because I would then be able to keep the charging puck, that came with the watch, in my laptop bag for work. Please let me know if my info on this is wrong.

Sarah
You're right, you don't have to dedicate your existing puck to use it.

If you want, you'd only need to bring one Lightning cable, and unplug it from the dock when the watch battery is full, then use it to charge your phone.

Seb Hughes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
I ended up biting the bullet and went for the Apple charging dock. Its a nice accessory but I must admit it is very overpriced for what it is (doughnut with the magnetic charger). When I first put the watch on I got a message saying "This is an unsupported accessory" or something to that effect which was very weird so I took the watch off and put it back on and not had the message since. Reading reviews of the dock on Apple.com they were charging 65 pound last year and now its 79 pound which is annoying.

Seb Hughes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
I made a charger out of the box that shipped with my SS. I really like it. Very easy to do.

Before I got the dock I put it in the plastic box I got with my SS (very fancy box I must admit) but it involves bending the cable. You able to share a photo of your DIY charging dock?

Srbell67

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2010
Has anyone bought one of these and then returned bc it isn't that worthwhile compared to the regular charger??

ddrulez

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Germany
I use the Apple charger. I don't regret to buy it. It looks nice and it works great.

b47a988201388c83d804b0539b3d3f52.jpg

59935272001385cc05a0b044e8266cd3.jpg

Reactions: matrix07

Seb Hughes

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2008
You have to use the original cable coming with the watch and insert it into the dock.

The dock comes with a 2 meter lightning cable. The actual charger component is attached to the "doughnut", thus you don't need to use the cable that came with the watch.

ddrulez

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2012
Germany
Oh you are right.
Yeah some time passed by. I wonder where I have the cable ^.^;

I had a other dock before I got the Apple one and there you have to use the original cable.

lsh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I'm happy with the Apple dock too although I might have considered the Elevation if it was an option then. I like the nightstand view and it folds up well for travel. I don't buckle my strap when docked and it's easy to use that way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.