Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davem20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
I can’t get google maps on my iPhone to send routing notifications to my watch. Is this a deliberate strategy of apples to force you to use their maps? Is there any trick to make google maps work on Apple Watch?

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I can’t get google maps on my iPhone to send routing notifications to my watch. Is this a deliberate strategy of apples to force you to use their maps? Is there any trick to make google maps work on Apple Watch?
is there a google maps app for the AW? that might be the culprit ...
I'm happy with Apple Maps ;)

tvt037

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2024
If you have Google Maps installed on your iphone, then you should have a Google Maps app on your Watch also. Open the app on your Watch, then a message on your Watch will tell you to open the Google Maps app on you phone to start navigation. You will not get a map view on your Watch, only turn by turn arrows with voice and vibration alerts. You cannot use Google Maps on your Watch without your phone.

Reactions: arkitect

davem20

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2018
If you have Google Maps installed on your iphone, then you should have a Google Maps app on your Watch also. Open the app on your Watch, then a message on your Watch will tell you to open the Google Maps app on you phone to start navigation. You will not get a map view on your Watch, only turn by turn arrows with voice and vibration alerts. You cannot use Google Maps on your Watch without your phone.
90% of the time when google maps is navigating on my phone, the google watch app won’t recognize it. It’s very frustrating that apple blocks notifications from google to the watch.

tvt037

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2024
Make sure you have Google Maps notification to Watch on. It’s strange that it’s intermittent. Mine works fine, i just don’t like that I can’t get a map view and need my iPhone with me also. When I go out I like to leave my phone at home or in the car.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.