Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
You empower them by treating them just like everyone else.

The rub here is that some people empower folks that way. Others use "I'd treat anyone else the same" as a justification for treating certain people like crap. It's a very subtle line.

The question isn't "could you substitute 'man' and have the same comment said", its "would the comment even have been said if the person being discussed were a man." If the answer to the second is "no" then the comment is sexist.

Cuyler

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Chicago
Well. If a movie opens on a Friday and I walk up to get a ticket on Friday 5 minutes before the movie and dot get a ticket because it's sold out doesn't mean the movie didn't open. I admit, not the best comparison but there will be thousands of people with watches in wrist on April 24. Hence the 24th is the launch. Soft launch maybe? (Like soft open?)

So what you are saying is that it's 100% DEFINITELY NOT a launch on the 24th if you can't buy them in stores even though there will be THOUSANDS of people in the general public walking around with Apple Watches on their wrist?

Using your example, if all Friday showings of a movie sold out early in the week, it would be wrong for the theaters to advertise tickets as "available Friday". They'd be better off saying "order tickets now".

You might call the 24th a launch. Maybe it'd be clearer to call it the ship date. After all, orders started on the 10th — couldn't that be considered as a launch date?

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
The persons who are triggered because one guy said 'this women' are the real sexists here.

Agree. Time to put on big-boy pants stop getting your panties in a bunch people. Oh wait.....are those sexist comments :eek:

Cuyler

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2009
Chicago
I can understand that they want people to order online for a new product, since they want the product to feel speciel, in that no one can get it right away. Annoying, but I get it.

But not even have it available to see it live in stores, like they did with the Macbook? That is just low.
You can see the watch live in stores (at least here in the US — I assume the watch is on display in Germany, France and the UK). My local store had fully functional models fixed to a table — I was able to play with them all I wanted to without an appointment.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Couldn't agree more.

The persons who are triggered because one guy said 'this women' are the real sexists here. She IS a woman and it's not an Insult.

The person who can do the job best should do it. It doesn't matter whether it's a man, a woman, a robot or even fish. Minorities shouldn't be more protected because a company needs to fullfil a quota.

IMHO Angela did a good job. Apple has less watches than people want - online preorder + live demo in the stores is a great solution.... But they definitely should 've told everyone earlier. Available 24.4.15 is misleading.

In a world where senior level positions and the tech industry in general are still dominated by men, it's easy for one to construe comments about "a woman being in over her head" as sexist. I'm curious to know if any other Senior Vice Presidents of Retail and Online Sales at Apple have received as much criticism around here. How any of you can claim to know she's not qualified to be doing the work she's doing is beyond me. And do you think she makes these decisions alone?

Personally, I'm critical of the recent push to move the "customer experience" out of stores and online, because I think it appears to extend beyond the watch release and could very well end up resulting in a loss of jobs for Apple Store employees.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
And it remains to be seen when in the "4/24 to 5/8" window it actually arrives, My order confirmation email was dated 2 minutes after pre-order started at 12:03 AM. I wonder when it will actually arrive?

My e-mail is time stamped 3:03 and I BETTER get mine on 4/24.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
No, what I've been saying is to the GENERAL PUBLIC if you say available on the 24th, they expect it to be in stores on the 24th. Even if it sells out, it was available to who ever got there first.

I'm not sure why the difference is so hard to understand. The commercial should have explained this to the 99% who don't read tech sites etc.

The fact Apple changed the website proves my point. The message was not clear to the MAJORITY - not us.

Well. If a movie opens on a Friday and I walk up to get a ticket on Friday 5 minutes before the movie and dot get a ticket because it's sold out doesn't mean the movie didn't open. I admit, not the best comparison but there will be thousands of people with watches in wrist on April 24. Hence the 24th is the launch. Soft launch maybe? (Like soft open?)

So what you are saying is that it's 100% DEFINITELY NOT a launch on the 24th if you can't buy them in stores even though there will be THOUSANDS of people in the general public walking around with Apple Watches on their wrist?

whatos

macrumors 6502a
I wouldn't be surprised if the watch is delayed a mere six days and begins arriving May 1st. That's not far off and makes a lot of sense. Apple may have taken more orders than they expected initially.

It makes a lot of sense to hold the release, get more watches ready, then begin shipping

K4LK

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
As one of the many people who ordered within the first minutes of the presale, I would quite frankly be very angry if someone was able to walk into an Apple Store on the 24th and walk out with an Apple Watch before I get mine.

If they are going to put the watch in stores before the preorders have been fulfilled than what is the point of preordering?

Exactly what happened with my iPhone 6+. Almost daily, I would read about people walking in the Apple Stores and buying their iPhone while I waited 5 weeks for a Verizon backorder.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
In a world where senior level positions and the tech industry in general are still dominated by men, it's easy for one to construe comments about "a woman being in over her head" as sexist. I'm curious to know if any other Senior Vice Presidents of Retail and Online Sales at Apple have received as much criticism around here.

Have you already forgotten about her predecessor? Pretty much everyone agreed from the start that that guy was a dead loss. I don't really agree with the criticism of her, but neither do I think that anyone criticizing her is a misogynist, even if they dare calling her a 'woman'. :eek:

Last edited:

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
What a total **** up. The master of logistics Mr Cook fails again. I'm going to start calling him Mr Bean from now on.

Why Mr Bean? Who or what is Mr Bean? What a weird and random thing to throw into the conversation.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
Have you already forgotten about her predecessor? Pretty much everyone agreed from the start that that guy was a dead loss. I don't really agree with the criticism of her, but neither do I think that anyone criticizing her is a misogynist, even if they dare calling her a 'woman'. :eek:
I never called anyone a woman hater, I said the comment could easily be read as sexist. It came off that way to me, and others as well.

Regarding criticism of predecessor: It was a legitimate question, so thanks for the answer. I haven't been posting and reading these forums long, and I don't pay much attention to who's working for Apple.

RemE

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Oh ya, bring back the long lines, pluuueeese. I did that exactly once, waited hours at an Apple Store and they ran out of stock, never again.

Ordered a black sports watch, confirmed email stamp receipt came back at 12:08am PDT with a 4-6week delivery date. Doesn't seem like they stocked up that much if they were this far out in just a few minutes?

I'm a very happy Pebble Steel user and am excited to see if this watch is much better, need to see how the battery holds up, the 1 week life on the Pebble comes in handy at times. If it's not a magical experience it's going back within a week.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
You can see the watch live in stores (at least here in the US — I assume the watch is on display in Germany, France and the UK). My local store had fully functional models fixed to a table — I was able to play with them all I wanted to without an appointment.

Went and tried one on last night. Not sure what you are talking about.

On a side note....it's like a freaking slice of butter on your wrist and even more impressive in person. Can't wait to get mine in the 24th...

...Which is why I wrote "like the Macbook" and not "Like the watch".

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Shorter: we were clueless about which of the models would sell so we under produced to prevent excess inventory. We now have a better idea and have ramped up full production.

MacMulti

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2013
Though I don't see immediate usage for myself, but may see owning one. Just love the fluid in :apple: products.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
This must be the only crazies Apple launch i've ever seen...

- They bring out a watch (several)
- Then they restrict it to 'hand's on appointments" including a small selection to get one.

- Those who expected a delivery date may be shocked by Apple smiling and pushing the dates back due to "limited supply"

- Even though supply was limited, they ran out within a few hours of launch.

Does anyone know what the missing link is ?

drwebber

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2011
Now we're talking!. Good to see someone else getting in on the buffing cloth joke. I've stared a trend.
Hi dotnet. Good to see you again. ;)

I hear that apple created a incredible new triple micro fiber cloth just for this. It is reinforced cotton with pure little child sweat to mend it all together.

Never before has a product like this been introduced. Especially just to clean a watch face.

bjdraw

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2008
Tampa FL
This must be the only crazies Apple launch i've ever seen...

The original iPhone was far crazier.
  1. No pre-orders
  2. The Apple Stores closed in the middle of the day and reopened at 6pm
  3. The lines formed days before as the Apple Store was the only place
  4. Personally, I waited in line for 10 hours (which was a blast, btw) only to see others walk in and buy a phone 45 minutes after, no line, no wait.
  5. Couldn't even use the phone (completely locked out) until the next day because the activation servers were so overloaded.
  6. Signed a 2yr contract with AT&T even though the phone wasn't subsidized
  7. AT&T started subsidizing phones a few months later and others only paid $200 for the same phone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.