Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrew1995

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
just wanted to make a thread on how blown away I am on the battery life of my SS S2 link watch. I've had it for about 3 weeks now and so far the battery life has been amazing. Initially I was expecting to charge it every day like my phone. But the device lasts me from Monday to the end of Friday. With my days typically starting at 8 and ending at 4. I turn it off when I'm home.

Of course now, I'd like some tips on squeezing even more out of it or simply some tips and suggestions for the watch in general.

Reactions: Ffosse and LiveM

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
The battery in the Series 2 has a 30% larger battery. That said, you can improve the battery by reducing the screen brightness, disabling 'Hey Siri', disabling or reducing the haptic feedback.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ffosse

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
M-F???? I dunno if that's possible. I'm getting about 2 days. Maybe a little over 2 if I don't do anything.

Are other people getting that too?

andrew1995

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 28, 2013
M-F???? I dunno if that's possible. I'm getting about 2 days. Maybe a little over 2 if I don't do anything.

Are other people getting that too?

I don't have my emails pushed to the Watch as I have it on manual. The probably contributes to it but I get Monday - Friday, turning it off when I'm home for the evening.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
I get 2 days but have emails pushed, screen quite bright, its on all day (6am - 8pm maybe) and then all night too as it monitors my sleep and I get all notifications etc and Im very happy with that as I was expecting to charge it daily!

SMELTN

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
I get 2 days but have emails pushed, screen quite bright, its on all day (6am - 8pm maybe) and then all night too as it monitors my sleep and I get all notifications etc and Im very happy with that as I was expecting to charge it daily!

I am thinking about using mine to sleep now. What app(s) are you using for sleep monitoring that are any good?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

That about where I am at for battery life. I don't use any sleep monitoring though. But still great battery life for easily two days. And I have not applied the newest update.

chemistry76

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2011
I am thinking about using mine to sleep now. What app(s) are you using for sleep monitoring that are any good?

Sleep Watch - auto detects your sleep. I really like it and is has a nice interface. The only drawback is that it only stores one week of history within the app.

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
I got M-F as well without Mail notifications and using a minimalist watchface.

pradip patel

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2016

anticipate

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2013
Battery life on S2 is stunning. I used to barely get 1 day with a 1 hr workout on S0 on WatchOS 2... and on WatchOS 3 I had to charge mid day. S2 on Watch OS 3 I can get a solid 2+ days without a workout and 1.5-2 days with a workout in. Its quite impressive actually. Especially that Apple doesn't advertise this at all. And I have tons of notifications, email etc on.

gsucyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2014
My battery life has been great. I do a workout pretty much everyday and by the I go to bed I have around 70% or so left after around 17 hours. Granted, I usually have my phone with me when I do my workouts, but I still wasn't expecting the kind of battery life I have been getting

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I'm getting 2 days with minimal use; 1 day if I use the GPS and/or stream music to my earphones extensively.

I'm pretty pleased with it.

lclev

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2013
Ohio
I can get 2 days - that is all day and all night. I always keep it muted but use strong haptics and medium screen brightness. I also have it set to keep the watch face lit for 70 seconds and wrist raise is activated.

Overall I am very pleased. It last a lot longer than my S0 which would last the day but be getting low by night time.

Lisa

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
Just got mine on Christmas. So far it looks like I'm gonna get 2 days before re-charging, but I haven't tried making the mentioned setting changes. Based on what I've heard about the watch, 2 days is perfectly fine with me.

IngerMan

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2011
Michigan
Since the latest OS update I am getting 2 plus days. I did not bother bringing the charger with me on a 3 day trip over the Holidays.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Just got mine on Christmas. So far it looks like I'm gonna get 2 days before re-charging, but I haven't tried making the mentioned setting changes. Based on what I've heard about the watch, 2 days is perfectly fine with me.

The battery life you're explaining is about average and/or where it should be.

BillGates1969

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2008
Poole, UK
I must admit I am well impressed with the battery life of my SS42 S2.

I have a SS42 S0 and i would take it off charge at 8am, do at least one hour workout (I say at least as sometimes 1 hour in the gym and sometimes walk the dogs as well), normal notifications/Siri etc and I would put it on charge at around midnight with about 15% left - sometimes flat.

My SS42 S2 for the same timespan is at over 60% when I go to bed, so I leave it on! I haven't yet tried to see when it would go flat - I think the end of the second day. Really impressed!

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
I still had a very surprising 12% after 41 hours as of yesterday evening. Mind you, not with heavy use. That was with two 30-min indoor workouts, but no music streaming or GPS use. Not a lot of notifications, used the watch alarm two mornings in a row, checked heart rate a number of times, checked the time 2-3 x hr, fiddled with the screen for 2-3 mins in direct sun (so full brightness), rejected three phone calls from the watch, and it was never more than 20' from the phone, either. Watch is relatively new and only has been through perhaps the equivalent of 3-4 complete charge cycles.

So generally optimal conditions, I think.

Stunning compared to the S0 though.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I must admit I am well impressed with the battery life of my SS42 S2.

I have a SS42 S0 and i would take it off charge at 8am, do at least one hour workout (I say at least as sometimes 1 hour in the gym and sometimes walk the dogs as well), normal notifications/Siri etc and I would put it on charge at around midnight with about 15% left - sometimes flat.

My SS42 S2 for the same timespan is at over 60% when I go to bed, so I leave it on! I haven't yet tried to see when it would go flat - I think the end of the second day. Really impressed!

And with the GPS toggled off, the 30% makes a huge difference.

andeify

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2012
UK
My new S2 has lasted 57 hours with 19% remaining before plugged in. This was with no workouts, just quite a few notifications, a few apps, short calls and messages.

Im extremely happy with this Watch!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.