Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the Apple Watch Series 2 looks virtually indistinguishable from the Apple Watch Series 1 to the naked eye, tech specs confirm that second-generation models are actually slightly thicker and heavier than original models.

apple-watch-2-collection-ceramic.jpg

38mm models of the Apple Watch Series 2 are 11.4mm thick and weigh 28.2 grams, compared to 10.5mm and 25 grams for original 38mm models.

Similarly, the new 42mm models are 11.4mm thick and weigh 34.2 grams, compared to 10.5mm and 30 grams for original 42mm models.

This means that all Apple Watch Series 2 models are 0.9mm thicker and up to 4.2 grams heavier, likely due to the inclusion of an up to 35% larger battery, but the real-life difference on the wrist should be relatively unnoticeable. The width and height of the Series 2 models remain unchanged.

Apple-Watch-dimensions-series-1-vs-2.jpg

Apple did not confirm that Apple Watch Series 2 models have a larger battery, but it is likely considering that battery life is equal to original models despite the Series 2's inclusion of a faster S2 chip and GPS. A future teardown of the device should confirm the larger battery capacity.

Article Link: Apple Watch Series 2 is Slightly Thicker and Heavier Due to Larger Battery

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Battery life being the same .. I'm sticking with the pebble.

I'm wondering if it would really be the same if you didn't use the GPS in the Series 2. Apple lists the battery life as the same 18 hours for the Series 1 and Series 2 even tho the Series 2 is thinker for maybe a bigger battery and has a GPS.

If it has the bigger battery and you don't use the GPS then the battery life should be longer in the Series 2 since the Series 1 has the same CPU upgrade and maybe the original size battery since its thiner.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
My 42mm battery lasts all day and only gets down to 58% or so. I then power it off, then turn it back on in the morning to use it again all day - thus only needing to charge it every second day. This was definitely not a thing I was complaining about when getting it.

My partners 38mm is another story though. She goes through a full charge daily.

Happy for an improvement in battery life, though it's unrequired for me. When it can get to a week on a single charge, I'd be impressed.

icanhazapple

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2009
I'm ok with this. Straight up, the performance of the first gen device was lacking. And that's okay, it's a 1st gen device. The 2nd gen device hits the performance mark, but not the form factor mark. That's ok, at least one box is checked off now.

3rd/4th gen iWatch devices will hit the sweet spot - performance, and increased thinness. I will probably pick up a 3rd or 4th gen Apple watch, once the thinness reaches a level that is equal to that of my mechanical watch.

Reactions: oneaburns

nia820

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2011
So much for a thinner watch. I'll probably be upgrading anyway for the speed. I just hope my old watch bands will fit.

Reactions: nagromme

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
There may be some confusion here. The new Series 1 also has the same processor as the new Series 2, so the original Apple watch isn't the same product as today's Series 1. Thus, with the new CPU the dimensions may have changed.

RoboCop001

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I'm wondering if it would really be the same if you didn't use the GPS in the Series 2. Apple lists the battery life as the same 18 hours for the Series 1 and Series 2 even tho the Series 2 is thinker for maybe a bigger battery and has a GPS.

If it has the bigger battery and you don't use the GPS then the battery life should be longer in the Series 2 since the Series 1 has the same CPU upgrade and maybe the original size battery since its thiner.

There's still a difference in performance because the graphics chip is better in Series 2. They didn't upgrade that part for Series 1. It'll probably still improve the battery life without GPS on (I wonder if they'll give that option), but not by that much I'd think.

Kinda sucks for Series 1, which would see less battery life compared to the original.

sshambles

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2005
Australia
I just want a watch that looks like a watch, not a mini iPhone. Samsung can do it, why can't Apple?
Because then it would look like every other watch....

Buy an ordinary watch if you want a rounded shape.

I'm curious as to how easily the ceramic will break when it's hit against something solid. My aluminium sport is pretty tough and it's been knocked into some hard surfaces by accident without a scratch on it.

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
There's still a difference in performance because the graphics chip is better in Series 2. They didn't upgrade that part for Series 1. It'll probably still improve the battery life without GPS on (I wonder if they'll give that option), but not by that much I'd think.

Kinda sucks for Series 1, which would see less battery life compared to the original.

and the screen is twice as bright

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.