Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

catmonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
I just wanted to share my Apple Watch experiences 3 weeks in and how I've moved from a 38mm Sport with White Band to a Stainless Steel 42mm with Leather Loop and others.

I originally ordered two sports (one white, one pink) for me and my Fiancée. The first thing I said when I opened the box was 'wow this smaller than I thought' - however me being me I tried to live with it and convince myself it was fine for me - 165-70cm wrists - first gen - didn't need to spend any more money etc etc.

I bought a black sport band to improve on its looks as I had also questioned how the aluminium looks for all occasions, I wanted to wear this watch for work, at the weekend and for meals/social gatherings.

After the return period it dawned on me that if I was going to keep looking at my wrist and thinking 'did I make the right choice?' Then I should do something about it.

I turned to eBay and found a 42mm SS w/ black leather loop - with black sport band and Spigen stand for £579 - followed by purchasing the 5 bead Hoco band.

As soon as I took it out the box I was gobsmacked at how different it looked and felt, in of course a very good way. The size is better suited even to my smaller male wrists and I knew no matter the occasion the watch would fit in with its stainless steel casing. The sapphire screen surprised me the most - not because of its scratch resistance, but how it masked the screen and truly blurs the lines between screen and casing - I find it has a beautiful slightly off black shine to it too.

I have to say, I thought I would love the leather loop, however the sports is more comfortable and almost looks as good - the Hoco band in my opinion beats them both - for £30 it is incredible.

Moral of my story - I could not be happier that I decided to spend the extra and get an Apple Watch which I'm completely satisfied with and have no doubts in what so ever.

The experience has proved how much of a personal device the Watch is - and only yourself can decide which size, band and collection is best suited for you.

My fiancée - she still has her AWS, but only uses it during the week at work and to focus on fitness, however at the weekends & for social occasions she goes back to her traditional Marc Jacobs.

8ad9ec7786dac8ce95b991e0f6c0bb3a.jpg
127487e687670996a86a081f4c4fa381.jpg
3b60fdbefc538c9098c85dc43b0b3d66.jpg
40a340aa33428e05876911dba690fde7.jpg

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
Nice! I actually really like the feel of the LL and generally will use that as my daily band, as it is a fair bit "classier" than my BSB and will match my wearing a suit for work a little better. The BSB does get its fair share of use though, as I would never work out with the LL on.

With the fact that you're now 3 weeks in and you posted pictures of both watches, does this mean you are keeping both versions? Or were the pictures from when you first got the SS and you've since returned the Sport model?

xotigu

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2014
I too for one switched to SS not just because of its classier looks but also it carries the more scratch resistant sapphire screen + stainless steel case that I can buff whenever there are scratches. Very happy with my decision.

catmonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
Nice! I actually really like the feel of the LL and generally will use that as my daily band, as it is a fair bit "classier" than my BSB and will match my wearing a suit for work a little better. The BSB does get its fair share of use though, as I would never work out with the LL on.

With the fact that you're now 3 weeks in and you posted pictures of both watches, does this mean you are keeping both versions? Or were the pictures from when you first got the SS and you've since returned the Sport model?

The pictures were taken just after delivery of the SS, the sport has gone back now - although I have the other halves to compare to still as she is keeping hers.

I think the LL needs a bit more of a chance to grow on me, it's the only band in the Watch collection I really liked the look of besides the link bracelet - sometimes I wonder if it makes it too flashy in front of clients so I have been toning it down with the BSB (IT Trainer wearing smart trousers, shoes - but with a branded polo shirt)

catmonkey

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2006
I too for one switched to SS not just because of its classier looks but also it carries the more scratch resistant sapphire screen + stainless steel case that I can buff whenever there are scratches. Very happy with my decision.

I need to get round to buying a polish/metal cleaner of some description to buff out a few minor scratches around the casing.

As its a wearable product I don't feel disheartened or annoyed that this can happen - whereas if my iPhone 6 was to get scratched in my pocket or accident I'd be pretty annoyed.

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
The pictures were taken just after delivery of the SS, the sport has gone back now - although I have the other halves to compare to still as she is keeping hers.

I think the LL needs a bit more of a chance to grow on me, it's the only band in the Watch collection I really liked the look of besides the link bracelet - sometimes I wonder if it makes it too flashy in front of clients so I have been toning it down with the BSB (IT Trainer wearing smart trousers, shoes - but with a branded polo shirt)
Yeah, I figured as much, but wasn't fully sure if you had sent it back.

I work in a hotel as part of the senior management, so I'm in a suit for usually 10+ hours a day for 5 (sometimes 6) days a week. Generally though, most people don't pay that much attention to accessories as long as they're not wildly inappropriate, and prior to the AW I even wore the original Pebble and no one batted an eye. By comparison, the AW is much classier, even with the BSB, but I do enjoy having a classier band.

I actually had the LL for a bit before trading it in for an ML, which I thought looked cooler and might be more functional as I live in a humid climate. However, liking to wear my watches on the looser side doesn't really work well with the ML so I'll be trading it back in for the LL. While I'm at the store I think I want to try on the Link Bracelet, but I'm somewhat afraid that I'll like it too much and want to leave the store with one...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.