Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
but see, the additiona reflectivity makes it somewhat harder to find the end of the screen, and the beginning of the black border. so that helps retain that edge to edge effect in sunlight.

sapphire wins.

Reactions: catmonkey

freediverx

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2006
This is not news. It has been a known tradeoff in the use of sapphire crystal since long before the first Apple Watch rumors began. I have yet to hear anyone complain about the quality of Apple Watch's display under sapphire crystal.

Reactions: Jax44

catmonkey

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2006
but see, the additiona reflectivity makes it somewhat harder to find the end of the screen, and the beginning of the black border. so that helps retain that edge to edge effect in sunlight.

sapphire wins.

This is precisely why I prefer the look of sapphire having had both - plus I can still see the screen in direct sunlight without issue.

Reactions: Prattdizzle

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
The clarity from the lack of reflection will be negated by all them scratches! :p

I simply can't understand how people scratch their device screens. I've stuck my iPhone in my pocket with keys, my wallet, badge, etc and my screen is pristine. Plus, all the videos online show that you need to literally rub sandpaper to scratch the glass on Apple devices. It makes no sense how so many people scratching their device screens.

Reactions: Prattdizzle

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
To be honest I actually preferred the SS over my previous sports watch for the way light catches on the screen of the SS. I actually think it makes the whole watch looks more luxurious and flows better with the design, and I never had any issue with readability.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Not entirely surprising. The Sport model is the entry level device (largest percentage of units solid), but moreover, the one that would see heavier use outdoors due to its intended use cases (exercise). In other words, screwing up the "lowest end model" would probably have the largest impact on profits -- anything other than excellent performance per dollar was simply not an option.

I went with the Sport to minimize my initial outlay (I expect I'll bite for next year's hardware). The fluoroelastomer bands have been super comfortable. Visibility even at the lowest brightness has been impeccable (despite lots of outdoor exercise). It also weighs substantially less (case is 30g instead of 50g). I like the idea of a Stainless Steel watch with a sapphire face, but not having worn a watch for nearly 20 years, the Sport has proven excellent. I may opt for a regular stainless steel watch in the future, when I've acclimated to wearing something on my wrist.

It's also satisfying my main use case: 8 pounds already lost, with 15 to go (3 lbs under my medically ideal weight).
You believe the marketing that this is the "sports model"? It's just the budget one through and through, but you can't call it budget, so you call it "sport". Is the Sports model less prone to damage from impact, are the insides reinforced, can the material take more damage before resulting in a scratch?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
This does not surprise me. My SS is pretty hard to read in direct sunlight.
I have a SS as well and i have not had any problem reading it. Of course I am not wearing it when I am on the beach in a blister sun. :cool:

Really, I don't remember ever not being able to read the watch when I tried. Probably because I automatically adjusted my position without thinking.

ChrisCW11

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2011
Seems like all Apple's plans for sapphire have fallen flat. Sapphire is starting to sound like a cheap inferior product for displays, not the premium luxury material Apple was hoping for.

Now, if Apple comes out with Ion-X Sapphire 7000 Series display surface, I might be willing to pay $40,000 for a watch and $2000 for the phone that it is handicapped to.

scaramoosh

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2014
This is old news and production on Sapphire sucks for the environment due to the crazy heat that is needed to work with it.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
My Apple Watch Edition has the same problem in bright sunlight. It's annoying, but overall I value the social status I acquired with my purchase more than worrying about trying to use it.

I thought Apple Watch Edition models created their own golden glow, even with the screen off; an orb of ownership with its own halo that allows you and others to bask in its radiant light.

Last edited:
Reactions: V.K.

Nodger

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2011
I purchased a Space Grey Sport and a SS to compare and it was immediately obvious that the sapphire screen was more reflective. As a result the Sport screen appeared blacker and more legible, whereas the SS screen appeared a light-grey. Just one of the reasons I opted for the SGS over the SS.

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
Not entirely surprising. The Sport model is the entry level device (largest percentage of units solid), but moreover, the one that would see heavier use outdoors due to its intended use cases (exercise). In other words, screwing up the "lowest end model" would probably have the largest impact on profits -- anything other than excellent performance per dollar was simply not an option.

You sure do give AAPL a lot of credit for planning. I think it just worked out this way. :)

Reactions: Lazy

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
so it's scratches vs. reflections. super.

get a screen protector - it will probably make the scratch invisible and protect you from more. i already got about 10 tiny scratches before getting one. it's still a screen protector, so it will probably feel and look a bit worse than the native screen, but there's only so much you can do. after getting those scratches after about 4 weeks of having the watch - and without noticeable bumping or scratching it - i'm doubtful, if ion-x glass was the right choice for a watch-screen. now hearing about the more reflective sapphire, it seems like there still is no auch thing as a free lunch...
Now we need a comparison of the ion-X screen + screen protector vs the sapphire.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
My Apple Watch Edition has the same problem in bright sunlight. It's annoying, but overall I value the social status I acquired with my purchase more than worrying about trying to use it.

Lucky you, I only got the Apple Care for it, because I can't afford the Edition just yet.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
I simply can't understand how people scratch their device screens. I've stuck my iPhone in my pocket with keys, my wallet, badge, etc and my screen is pristine. Plus, all the videos online show that you need to literally rub sandpaper to scratch the glass on Apple devices. It makes no sense how so many people scratching their device screens.
You won't believe it, but I have and had my iPhone 4S in an Otterbox, but as dust and whatever gets in there moves around it scratches and makes an unremovable outline in the shape of the front facing camera/loudspeaker area as well as home button right on the glass.
So, I am looking at different cases for my 6S when I buy it, but to suggest the glass is is not sensitive to anything but sandpaper is a little far fetched.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I've never had an issue with looking at my sapphire apple watch with the sun blazing outside.
That surprises me. Even on my Apple Watch Sport I can just barely make out anything on the screen when it's in bright sunlight.

things

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2014
apple didn't design it with an anti-reflective coating on the sapphire? tut, tut, that's basic optics

my navitimer has ar coating on both faces of the sapphire, maintains excellent transmission even in extreme light

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
The clarity from the lack of reflection will be negated by all them scratches! :p

Let me guess!! You bought the SS watch and you were pissed to find out there are not much difference between SS and sport one, except the price.

But now you are double pissed to find out the lower model outperforms the more expensive one on something :)

By the way, I really bang my watch a lot, there is no single scratch on my sport models screen and I have it since 24th of April.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I have a SS as well and i have not had any problem reading it. Of course I am not wearing it when I am on the beach in a blister sun. :cool:

Really, I don't remember ever not being able to read the watch when I tried. Probably because I automatically adjusted my position without thinking.

funny you say that. I literally am on the beach :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.