Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
Has anyone else tried this?? Especially on an original Apple watch??

I noticed a prompt on my original Apple Watch Black SS of "charger not supported" last night, I went to take it off the charger and saw the screen was completed dislodged. Right off the bat I suspected the battery since I saw older posts about that...and it is. Nice bulge that pushed out the screen. (screen still worked fine though. I unpaired it, shut it down, placed it in a ziploc bag to prevent it from this insanely dusty room! [eyeroll] ). I guess I should be happy the battery lasted this long?

Since this "ancient" watch is out of warranty, It does look like from what I gather Apple will replace it for $79? (Whenever local Apple Stores in Philly area open back up) And I already looked at DIY kits that we can do this ourselves, ranging from 14 bucks up to 35 from "iFixIt"

I get that this watch is totally obsolete, it's slow...BUT still looks great. I'm think $79 is perhaps too much to replace the battery for the S0 - the watch itself now is probably not worth $50-60...BUT it will save hassle.

The DIY videos on YouTube doesn't seem TOO bad, extreme patience would be needed - especially separating this metal clip that protects the 2 display connections. Maybe reapplying the new adhesive to "glue" back the screen to the case. I think I could tackle this.

I did see in an Amazon review for a DIY kit, someone that has a Series 0... this original has a screw under the display cables, unlike Series 1...I guess newer models?

All the videos Ive seen so far on replacing Apple Watch battery, they have "S1" (which shows up under the battery once removed) I do not know what it says under the battery on "Original - aka Series 0"

Thanks

dO2nFmM.jpg

Jxdawg

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2019
I cant speak to the DIY part, but did you look and see if there are any local repair shops that would do it? I think most charge less than $50 to replace the battery on a phone, so I dont see why they would charge more than that for your watch.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I cant speak to the DIY part, but did you look and see if there are any local repair shops that would do it? I think most charge less than $50 to replace the battery on a phone, so I dont see why they would charge more than that for your watch.

I did, I called a few places nearby that are actually open. Batteries and Bulbs, 2 other local cell phone repair shops. They do not replace Apple Watch batteries "anymore." Guess they used to...maybe too many problems, too risky? Who knows. I'll try a few more.

Yeah $40-50 bucks I'd have no problem shelling out since some of these kits I see on Amazon are all over the place in price. Reviews are extremely mixed as well. 50% chance the battery will work.

I get it..I did have my old 6 Plus phone replaced by a repair shop, that 3rd party battery went dead 5 days, a new replacement lasted for about a month. Went back again, store was no longer in business. ugh.

Ended up buying a real OEM Apple battery and did it myself, no issues doing that. The watch is slightly intimidating I guess, very tiny parts!

Reactions: Jxdawg

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I personally have never attempted a battery replacement on the Apple Watch. But here’s what I do know after having extensive experience on this forum specifically:

The two ‘ribbon connectors’ that are attached to the display and to the logic board, you can easily damage them. Also, if the display starts to ‘flicker’, double check the connection. The other issue members have run into is the ‘force touch‘ on the display starts misfiring when you push on certain quadrants of the display, if that happens, you’ll have to retrace your steps.

Do not use super glue to re-apply the display to the casing, use a quality clear sealant with a minimal amount, as you don’t want to have that interfere with any of the components/ports.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I personally have never attempted a battery replacement on the Apple Watch. But here’s what I do know after having extensive experience on this forum specifically:

The two ‘ribbon connectors’ that are attached to the display and to the logic board, you can easily damage them. Also, if the display starts to ‘flicker’, double check the connection. The other issue members have run into is the ‘force touch‘ on the display starts misfiring when you push on certain quadrants of the display, if that happens, you’ll have to retrace your steps.

Do not use super glue to re-apply the display to the casing, use a quality clear sealant with a minimal amount, as you don’t want to have that interfere with any of the components/ports.

Thanks. Yeah those ribbons make me a tad nervous, it may look "easier" on some YouTube videos, usually it's never that "easy" for me at least. Didn't know about the force touch misfirings. The adhesive on the DIY kits is this extremely thin 3M strip...looks ok I guess, but one wrong move, it can be ruined, tangled. Without that, no way would I use any glue, that would be a total disaster. :)

Eh, thanks again, I just may hold off until the nearby Apple Store opens, no major rush right now. - the other places I've called won't touch the watch.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Thanks. Yeah those ribbons make me a tad nervous, it may look "easier" on some YouTube videos, usually it's never that "easy" for me at least. Didn't know about the force touch misfirings. The adhesive on the DIY kits is this extremely thin 3M strip...looks ok I guess, but one wrong move, it can be ruined, tangled. Without that, no way would I use any glue, that would be a total disaster. :)

Eh, thanks again, I just may hold off until the nearby Apple Store opens, no major rush right now. - the other places I've called won't touch the watch.

Good call waiting for the Apple stores to reopen. The reason you won’t find third-party repair shops to repair/replace specific parts, they are not trained to, where iPhones are far more manageable in terms of having the necessary tools, internal space to work with, etc.. Chances are, when third party physically open the Apple Watch, they’ll probably break/damage the internal components (Ribbons as mentioned). Plus, they don’t have access to Apple‘s OEM battery for the Apple Watch, unless they’re using some cheap third-party junk Chinese battery, which can only create more issues on its own.

Good luck.

Justamar

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2008
I've replaced the battery before after having this exact issue on a series0, i ordered one from ifixit, the install was straight forward because the display was already off. The ribbon cables can be a bit challenging but the tweezers from https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Essential-Electronics-Toolkit/IF145-348?o=2 made it easier. you can probabaly get the tweezers alone.

I'd get a quote from the in-store techs being that yours is a steel watch and worth more than my cheapo aluminum one.

Small tabs of the clear sealant along the edges of the display when putting the adhesive down is a good idea, after that use some rubber bands to hold it down over night.

Reactions: PhillyGuy72

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I think it would be a nice personal project, if you can afford the $30 - 40 bucks. But would I strap that battery of an unknown provenance onto my wrist everyday??

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I've replaced the battery before after having this exact issue on a series0, i ordered one from ifixit, the install was straight forward because the display was already off. The ribbon cables can be a bit challenging but the tweezers from https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Tools/Essential-Electronics-Toolkit/IF145-348?o=2 made it easier. you can probabaly get the tweezers alone.

I'd get a quote from the in-store techs being that yours is a steel watch and worth more than my cheapo aluminum one.

Small tabs of the clear sealant along the edges of the display when putting the adhesive down is a good idea, after that use some rubber bands to hold it down over night.

I got this kit for Xmas about 3 years ago - before I really needed it. It's been extremely handy, used this to replace my iPhone 6+ battery. Even the torx bits helped me open/replace my iMac hard drive last year.

After thinking about it, reading the replies, yeah I think that's what I'll be doing, just get a estimate from Apple on a new OEM battery. I have seen a few older posts on YouTube (from 2017,2018) where Apple just gave the person a Series 1 replacement (or a series 2 replaced a series 1)..I have no idea if this is still the case? If this was a sport version, I'd might try it myself...but I still like this old steel too much to potentially risk destroying it.

Thanks for all the input!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Rubber bands are a bad idea, and the reason for that is, they apply to much pressure, which can actually force the adhesive out over the edges of the casing and/or cause and unevenness of how the display confirms to the casing. Your best option would just be to use ‘blue painters tape‘, it applies just enough pressure and it’s safe for the display as well.

ppj845

macrumors regular
May 23, 2020
Also have an SS S0 here. Wonder if go to Apple and pay for a battery replacement right now, which series watch will be returned...

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2019
So happy to see threads about repairing even an old Apple product instead of needing a new one all the time. I always feel good whenever I see someone still using an original iPhone or first gen Watch. Enjoy what you like and the environment is better off with less things being thrown into the garbage.

As for Batteries/bulbs places, which are still called Batteries+ in my hometown, they wouldn't touch an Apple product. Years ago I tried to get them to replace the one in my 3GS (which was 3 years old at the time but the battery was really bad) and they outright said 'Apple doesn't allow us to change their batteries/the phone would reject it' and I wasn't sure if they were BSing me or if it were true--but, given the results I'm glad they refused. We tried years ago to get some old NiCD DeWalt batteries 'rebuilt' by them but all of them lasted 5 minutes or the charger refused saying 'defective pack' all the time.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Also have an SS S0 here. Wonder if go to Apple and pay for a battery replacement right now, which series watch will be returned...

If you’re requesting Apple to replace a battery in your first GEN watch, they will return the exact same watch back to you. If your first GEN watch has a hardware defect where it can’t be repaired, [assuming it was under warranty for example], then they would probably replace it with a Series one/two. There’s no reason why Apple would give you another watch replacement if you’re Voluntarily want to battery replacement ‘out of your own pocket‘.

Reactions: sananda

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007

I had my stainless steel S0 battery bulging out too a year ago. Went to Apple store for battery replacement and they replaced the entire watch, exactly same model though. They said something about the swelling battery may damage internal components, so they usually replace it with a new watch. Same as iPhone too I think.

It’s well worth the money in my opinion.

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I had my stainless steel S0 battery bulging out too a year ago. Went to Apple store for battery replacement and they replaced the entire watch, exactly same model though. They said something about the swelling battery may damage internal components, so they usually replace it with a new watch. Same as iPhone too I think.

It’s well worth the money in my opinion.
Interesting! Well, I'm patiently waiting for the Apple store down the street to reopen. (MAYBE June 5th around here as restrictions start to relax in the Philly area...who knows)

But since this is inside right smack in the middle of a mall, again...thats going to be interesting.

I never sent any Apple products to be fix via mail, that part I guess could be done...it's new to me.

Don't think anything else inside is damaged, the screen was fully responsive before unpairing and shutting it down, battery just seemed to bulge upward popping the screen loose.

IF they replace it with a S0...thats fine. I would hope its new?? Not some out of box used model with a scratches on outer case. I've kept this SS black in pristine condition in 5 years.

ppj845

macrumors regular
May 23, 2020
If you’re requesting Apple to replace a battery in your first GEN watch, they will return the exact same watch back to you. If your first GEN watch has a hardware defect where it can’t be repaired, [assuming it was under warranty for example], then they would probably replace it with a Series one/two. There’s no reason why Apple would give you another watch replacement if you’re Voluntarily want to battery replacement ‘out of your own pocket‘.

I remember right around the 3 year mark when people had swollen batteries, for some people the SS S0 were replaced with S2. I actually haven't heard anybody who requested a battery replacement that didn't get their whole watch replaced (Although all DPs were swollen battery cases not battery replacement request after 3-year warranty). It definitely could be because swollen batteries may damage the insides. But I would assume since the glue was too hard to open without damaging the case and too difficult to re-apply without compromise waterproofing, it's easier to just replace the whole watch. Just like what Apple does with their iPad repairs (replace the whole device instead of replacing parts).

It is also my understanding that if you request a battery replacement for your iPad, with 100 dollars (or so) they don't "replace the battery", they just give you a "new" device. As what I have seen on my researched though, the pre-requisite for iPad battery replacement request is that the battery fails their battery test (less than 80% of designed capacity). I'm not sure if the same pre-requisite applies for Apple Watch battery replacement request.
[automerge]1590354810[/automerge]
Interesting! Well, I'm patiently waiting for the Apple store down the street to reopen. (MAYBE June 5th around here as restrictions start to relax in the Philly area...who knows)

But since this is inside right smack in the middle of a mall, again...thats going to be interesting.

I never sent any Apple products to be fix via mail, that part I guess could be done...it's new to me.

Don't think anything else inside is damaged, the screen was fully responsive before unpairing and shutting it down, battery just seemed to bulge upward popping the screen loose.

IF they replace it with a S0...thats fine. I would hope its new?? Not some out of box used model with a scratches on outer case. I've kept this SS black in pristine condition in 5 years.

Yeah I'm thinking of doing the same if the battery gives up. S0 even tho is slow, since for me the usage is only notification and music control while working out, I don't see the value of spending another 300+ for a S5 that does the same thing just half a second faster....

Last edited:

McScooby

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2005
The Paps of Glenn Close, Scotland.
I might upgrade this year, but I’m still rockin’ a S0.

The battery popped out about 4 months out of warranty (2.5 years later) so I took it to the :apple:Store.

Genius had a good look, said as no physical damage & it was a known issue, they couldn’t guarantee it, but sent for repair/replacement.

Couple of days later I got it back, refurbed watch & zero to pay.

I just use it for time, txts & Apple Pay, so does it’s job, lasts the day & is still waterproofed.

i wouldn’t waste time messing about with it, just take it to store when open, if they say no, then look to replacing it yourself!?

CobraPA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
Lansdale, PA, USA
I would try Apple online. Generally the watch gets sent out from the store anyway, so you sending it in usually is just as fast. We had one replaced for swollen battery as well. If Apple is still doing that, then it is no charge, and even extends some period after warranty expires. S0 will normally be replaced with S1, from my experience, or newer model if no stock.

They may tell you battery replacement fee up front, or higher if out of warranty. Then if bulging battery is determined to not be caused by damage, the fees were waved (in the past.)

PhillyGuy72

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
Philadelphia, PA USA
I would try Apple online. Generally the watch gets sent out from the store anyway, so you sending it in usually is just as fast. We had one replaced for swollen battery as well. If Apple is still doing that, then it is no charge, and even extends some period after warranty expires. S0 will normally be replaced with S1, from my experience, or newer model if no stock.

They may tell you battery replacement fee up front, or higher if out of warranty. Then if bulging battery is determined to not be caused by damage, the fees were waved (in the past.)

Just got back from Apple Store for the swollen battery, made the appointment last week thankfully when the local store/mall opened last Friday.

Eh, basically I'll see what they say and I guess the price THEY decide. It seems so convoluted, I was quoted $249.00 for the repair. I quickly said to the guy..."the website says 79.00 for a battery replacement" (then said "which site?"....but then saw the price on his iPad. Ummm??)

Anyway..I can't even figure out right now what the convo was to be honest.

For $79, they don't do a repair...I'll get a new watch, same model. Ok cool...i'm fine with that, that's why i came in.
But for $249, I'll get a new watch, same model??? Huh! The Apple employee is just a middle man. It's where its sent makes the decision.

My invoice says "
WATCH FLAT RATE$ 249.00$ 249.00

Yet here, https://support.apple.com/watch/repair/service/pricing - The price matches "screen repair"
The screen is perfectly fine and even functional.

They'll be in touch and I can agree to what can be done.

Didn't pay anything today, they'll send it out. In a week or 2 when they get back to me:

YEY to the $79 "repair" (old one gets recycled I suppose)
And a big fat NAY to a $249 - give me back my watch and I'll attempt this myself!

Absolutely moronic.
There's my little update
- rant over. (sorry)

---
--- edited JULY 3---

Apple called this morning, yeah this will be a $79 (plus tax) fee.
They just needed payment info before sending it out via FedEx. Clarification I got from the "admin" of the store, after the cust. service rep explained the issue yesterday, this is in fact a battery flaw. the $79 applies.

I get the feeling the guy I spoke to yesterday may be a new(er) employee??..not sure.
But if so, I get it. I've worked in retail, been there done that.

Explained like in previous posts above, they don't repair my watch...they just simply give me a new one - same model.
"Should be here by NEXT Friday" - I'm totally cool with that.

Last edited:

ppj845

macrumors regular
May 23, 2020
Yeah definitely should be $79 battery service if they won't do it for free because of the design flaw that apple just doesn't want to admit and recall. Let's hope it's an SS S2 or S3.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Yeah definitely should be $79 battery service if they won't do it for free because of the design flaw that apple just doesn't want to admit and recall. Let's hope it's an SS S2 or S3.

Issues like this need to extend beyond a ‘Senior advisor’, it should be escalated to corporate and I guarantee a ‘different my result would follow. Never settle for something if the situation wasn’t handled appropriately or effectively given the concern out of the OP’s control.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.