Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
If the Apple Watch Ultra 2 is a "sports watch", why on earth do notifcations take over the screen during an excercise and you have to press the crown to get back to the workout app that is currently active?

Is there an option on the Apple Watch to disable annoying non-sports notification during workouts?

Reactions: klasma and haruhiko

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
That is not a solution, that is a work around. A sports watch should disable notifications that blocks active workout apps during a workout.
I use the Fitness focus mode - I do not get any interruptions while I am working out - you can pick the apps if you always want to be notified. Really simple and works great. Good luck!

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
I use the Fitness focus mode - I do not get any interruptions while I am working out - you can pick the apps if you always want to be notified. Really simple and works great. Good luck!

Thanks, I will try this out. Quite strange "Fitness focus mode" is not automatically engaged during a workout though.

I will look on Google on how to do this.

Last edited:

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
Thanks, I will try this out. Quite strange "Fitness focus mode" is not automatically engaged during a workout though.

I will look on Google on how to do this.
You can choose to automatically enable it - from the phone settings. Go to Focus, you will see all the options there. I think there is what you are looking for!

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
You can choose to automatically enable it - from the phone settings. Go to Focus, you will see all the options there. I think there is what you are looking for!

I just tested it after setting it up on my iPhone and it now will automatically disable all notifications when a workout is active.

This should fix it.

Many thanks for the help.

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
I just tested it after setting it up on my iPhone and it now will automatically disable all notifications when a workout is active.

This should fix it.

Many thanks for the help.
You are most welcome! I’m the same way when I workout. I feel the ping on my wrist and glance over. For me, I wanted weather alerts to come through. I like how you can setup individual apps as well. Glad to help!

PatrickNSF

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
It would be great if the AWU handled notifications during workouts like the current Garmin watches do. When I get a notification while running with my Garmin 965, I get a small banner at the top of the screen (which doesn't block most of the running data). I can tell if it's email or a text. If it's email I don't do anything and the banner goes away. If it's a text and I want to see it, I can press the down button and see the full text. Otherwise, I ignore it.

Of course, this requires running with a phone (which I rarely do), but it seems like a better way to handle notifications when turning them off entirely isn't an option.

Reactions: drew0020 and Zest28

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
If the Apple Watch Ultra 2 is a "sports watch", why on earth do notifcations take over the screen during an excercise and you have to press the crown to get back to the workout app that is currently active?

Is there an option on the Apple Watch to disable annoying non-sports notification during workouts?
RTFM. BUT the issue was already solved thanks to the forum😊

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
RTFM. BUT the issue was already solved thanks to the forum😊

What you mean RTFM?. First of all, the fix does not make use of a feature of the Apple Watch, it's a feature of the iPhone.

And that you have to setup something on your iPhone to get your Apple Watch Ultra 2 functioning as a "sports watch" is kinda of a joke.

Typical Apple sheep here thinking it is a "RTFM" issue rather than an Apple issue. Because no other sports computer I own does this BS like the Apple Watch Ultra 2 does. This is literally the first time I have seen any "sports computer" do something BS like this.

Last edited:

TracerAnalog

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2012
What you mean RTFM?. First of all, the fix does not make use of a feature of the Apple Watch, it's a feature of the iPhone.

And that you have to setup something on your iPhone to get your Apple Watch Ultra 2 functioning as a "sports watch" is kinda of a joke.

Typical Apple sheep here thinking it is a "RTFM" issue rather than an Apple issue. Because no other sports computer I own does this BS like the Apple Watch Ultra 2 does. This is literally the first time I have seen any "sports computer" do something BS like this.
Oh here we go again with the ‘Apple sheep’. I’m out.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
Oh here we go again with the ‘Apple sheep’. I’m out.

It's the truth. Blaming me instead of Apple their horrible notification system for as a "sports watch" is clearly a you know what.

And good that you are out, because you contributed nothing, except creating noise by blaming me instead of Apple their own messed up notification system.

Last edited:

Thor_9

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2023

I would guess because the watch isn’t strictly a sports watch. Some people need notifications when they are working out. Others don’t.

Perhaps during setup the watch should tell you about how to disable notifications during a workout.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal

AW has always been a companion tool to the iPhone…
For you, get a Garmin and get on with life

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
I would guess because the watch isn’t strictly a sports watch. Some people need notifications when they are working out. Others don’t.

Perhaps during setup the watch should tell you about how to disable notifications during a workout.

Apple should simply improve their notification system during workouts. It shouldn’t be needed to be disabled in the first place.

Last edited:

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 11, 2022
AW has always been a companion tool to the iPhone…
For you, get a Garmin and get on with life

What kind of excuse is that? I have other sports computers that have an iPhone app and I don’t need to disable to notification system to make it usable as a sports watch.

I don’t need to buy a new Garmin as I am already covered as I have many other sports devices (which do notifications much better than the Apple Watch Ultra 2 and I do not need to disable the notifications on them).

Last edited:

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
What kind of excuse is that? I have other sports computers that have an iPhone app and I don’t need to disable to notification system to make it usable as a sports watch.

I don’t need to buy a new Garmin as I am already covered as I have many other sports devices (which do notifications much better than the Apple Watch Ultra 2 and I do not need to disable the notifications on them).
You are the one calling others here “ sheep”, and, why don’t you mark this thread as “solved” if you don’t want others to comment? After all this is a 1M+ members Internet forum…

And to repeat myself, I and others do want notifications during workouts and we have options to deal with that.

Good bye

Reactions: Thor_9
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.