Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ToasterZapper

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Hi all, I’ve got an Apple Watch ultra on order and wondering which strap people are using for sports (running, weights etc). Do any of the sports bands look good with it? Photos would be great if you have any to share.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Hi all, I’ve got an Apple Watch ultra on order and wondering which strap people are using for sports (running, weights etc). Do any of the sports bands look good with it? Photos would be great if you have any to share.
Do a search in this forum and you’ll find plenty threads/photos

CyberDavis

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2022
I use a Nike Sport Loop with my Ultra when running or doing Fitness+ workouts.

Reactions: Abazigal

humerc

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2015
I have multiple Sport bands from my older series and loved them, but for the Ultra I use mainly the Ocean band - it feels and looks just better and it is great for sports (in my case mostly the gym). I also have the alpine band but use it not really that much.
The sport bands just look a little to small on the Ultra for my taste.

Reactions: dms_91

ToasterZapper

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
I have multiple Sport bands from my older series and loved them, but for the Ultra I use mainly the Ocean band - it feels and looks just better and it is great for sports (in my case mostly the gym). I also have the alpine band but use it not really that much.
The sport bands just look a little to small on the Ultra for my taste.
Them looking too small was also my worry. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of choice out there though. I’d love a good wide band like you get for the garmin fenix.

ToasterZapper

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
Cheers all, I’ll take a look at the ocean bands. Perhaps should have gone for that with the watch over the green alpine loop.

doolar

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2019
I love my Nike Sport Band for running, kept it from my S5. I got the Ocean Band with my Ultra, and while I am very happy with it, I prefer running with the Nike one. Can’t really say why exactly, perhaps out of habit, I’ve ran to the mood and back with the Nike band. :)

ToasterZapper

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
I love my Nike Sport Band for running, kept it from my S5. I got the Ocean Band with my Ultra, and while I am very happy with it, I prefer running with the Nike one. Can’t really say why exactly, perhaps out of habit, I’ve ran to the mood and back with the Nike band. :)
If you can would be great to see a photo with your Nike band, no worries if you can’t. Out of interest what colour Nike band is it? I’ll be doing quite a bit of running and strength training with my watch but will be using a chest hr so not too concerned about getting a perfect fit with a strap.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
29CA0888-7D78-48BD-9F19-7F06349FA3FE.jpeg F4778B40-145E-40B7-AF10-3EA5958EBCFE.jpeg 5878F3F0-F08C-42DB-A255-9090235C3286.jpeg 3DAD0DFB-4CFA-4B75-AC68-8FB1F4736F41.jpeg C3851804-6B47-45CF-939B-F10B210D3D1B.jpeg 2B0210FA-8F85-4D8C-8CC3-342E1732F76F.jpeg

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
I’d also be curious what Ultra bands that folks find to be more breathable than the Nike ones with holes in them. I‘m not even any kind of super or regular athlete, mountain climber, etc. but after trying my current Nike band with holdes for more breathability, it makes much more sense to me (at least currently) to keep using this one even if at very close inspection it might be 1mm or 0.5 mm thinner than I’d like it to be / than the other bands I have.

In other words, now that people have used them for a month or so, does anyone find if the Ocean band or any other Ultra ones more breathable, less sweaty and stifling than the Nike (or other) bands?

bookofxero

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2017
Them looking too small was also my worry. There doesn’t seem to be a lot of choice out there though. I’d love a good wide band like you get for the garmin fenix.
I bought a 3rd party one from Amazon that is fairly wide and looks fine with my Ultra.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Great pics, thanks for posting! Those are the bands I prefer currently, perhaps I’m overlooking something but it just seems like nothing can beat the hole-punch design for breathability and less sweat buildup.
I've taken those pics to see how it looks, I have yet to wear my Nike bands with the Ultra, ocean band looks much better imho and it is similar in "breathability" to the Nike bands ...

Reactions: ndouglas

ToasterZapper

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
yep, exactly how I feel ... Halloween is around the corner, so I will wear that black/pink and black/purple for a few days, will see how that goes
I’m not brave enough for the yellow ocean band so gone with midnight. I do very much like the yellow though. Unfortunately the band will arrive before the watch; still long lead times here in the uk. Will report back with photos when I have it.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I’m not brave enough for the yellow ocean band so gone with midnight. I do very much like the yellow though. Unfortunately the band will arrive before the watch; still long lead times here in the uk. Will report back with photos when I have it.
well, I do have the midnight too as the yellow with long sleeve shirts (blue-ish) stands out, so I wear that to work a couple days/week, but, for the most part I'm wearing the yellow, as we a little more "laid back" here in California :cool:

Reactions: ToasterZapper

ToasterZapper

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
well, I do have the midnight too as the yellow with long sleeve shirts (blue-ish) stands out, so I wear that to work a couple days/week, but, for the most part I'm wearing the yellow, as we a little more "laid back" here in California :cool:
Too bright and happy for the UK 😛

• Haha
Reactions: ndouglas

ndouglas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2022
I've taken those pics to see how it looks, I have yet to wear my Nike bands with the Ultra, ocean band looks much better imho and it is similar in "breathability" to the Nike bands ...
Oh cool tha’s good to know! I wonder if it would fit my AW7? so the material is kind of porous? Intriguing…

I do like the look of that band compared to the Nike ones, for sure.

jamesschmidtke

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2008
I do the blue trail and the midnight ocean band sometimes, they both look great. When working out though I often need quick adjustments to flip the watch or move to a different arm to get out of the way of cables, kettlebells or machines etc. The quickness of the trail is unparalleled and the customization of the strap. The ocean band looks decent for sure but with the lock and loop system make it not a fast adjustment. I am someone who hated the previous nylon straps because of the wetness, it’s less bothersome with this band and a bit quicker drying. Just my two cents. Happy lifting!
454E0E1C-92F5-4B0E-93DA-A7EBC51B8E40.jpeg

CyberDavis

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2022
I liked my Nike Sport Band, but when I upgraded to Ultra I just found that possible adjustments meant it was either too loose or too tight, so changed to Nike Sport Loop.
After my initial reluctance I found the loop more comfortable, and helped ensure more reliable heart rate readings.
Still a shame though as I liked my Nike Sport Band.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToasterZapper

ToasterZapper

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2021
An update on this.

Watch arrived yesterday which is a good week ahead of schedule (uk based and ordered from Apple online for delivery).

For context my wrist is ~185 and I primarily run and weight lift.

I went for the green alpine loop (large) but also ordered the midnight ocean band which I’ve been using on my s5 until the ultra arrived.

The alpine loop is a great fit for me and it hooks two loops from the end which is great and avoids it being on the bottom and rubbing on stuff. The colour (of the band) is much lighter than I expected but the build quality is great. The midnight ocean band I much prefer; imo it is more comfortable and more breathable.

I come from wearing garmin fenix watches, the last one being a 7x so I don’t find the ultra to be too big. In fact I think the aesthetics of it are far better IRL than photos get across.

Happy to answer questions/post more photos. I’m on my iPhone and tried posting a couple but it errored.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.