Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcmeyer5

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2008
Sorry if this has been answered, but will the Watch allow NFC payments if paired with the 5/S/C family of phones?

THAT would be a reason to get it if you don't plan on going from a 5 to a 6.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Sorry if this has been answered, but will the Watch allow NFC payments if paired with the 5/S/C family of phones?

It will work for NFC payments when paired with an iPhone 5S.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
Except people don't leave their CC's laying on a table, bedroom or car.

The comment that the Apple watch will stop crime is hilarious! :p

Keep the posts coming.

----------

So wait... you must now touch the watch, enter a pin to unlock the watch & access the passbook app then pay?
Yup, that's more convenient than reaching for my wallet.

And I find you deliberately misinterpreting what I said hilarious! I have had my wallet stolen I have never had my watch stolen, I'm not saying it can't happen, but as soon as your property is no longer under your direct control, it has become less secure, whether watch or card.
I completely stand by my statement that it vastly reduces the risk of skimming, note that was the only crime I said that it would reduce.

You've also gone out of the ways to deliberately misunderstand the process of paying with the watch.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
If Apple is smart, they'd design it so it detects TouchID when we first use our iPhone 5s/6/6+ upon wearing the watch and this takes the place of having to enter the passcode.
What about users who have an iPhone 5 or 5C that doesnt have TouchID? Apple Pay via the watch still works for users linked to these phones.

From the Apple Pay page on the apple site :-

Apple Pay is compatible with these devices.
iPhone 6 iPhone 6 Plus Apple Watch
Paired with iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, or iPhone 6 Plus. In-store purchases only.

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012

From the site:

"Paired with iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, or iPhone 6 Plus. In-store purchases only."

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see it was already quoted.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Then they'd need to put up with the cumbersome step of entering the passcode every morning unless they upgrade to a newer iPhone model.
Which if they have an iPhone 5 wont be as cumbersome as the process they are well used to of entering a passcode everytime they unlock their phone!

I really dont see a one of code entering as cumbersome....and to be honest there could be days where you are not going to any shop and have no requirement to enter the code to activate Apple Pay or if you happen to on the off chance out of the blue then you enter the code there and then quickly. Then there are the times that you are in a shop and use that fangled cash stuff you have in your other trouser pocket from your phone!

cRizz

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2012
So you enter your PIN and can make payments. Then every night you get home and take it off to charge and the next day you have to re enter the PIN. Sounds like just one more POS to remember every morning while I'm getting ready for work. No thanks.

EDIT: Apparently needfx realized the same thing I did.

Half the iPhone users didn't do that already multiple times a day to unlock the iPhone since 2007 before Touch ID :roll eyes:

Edit: Bransoj, you got me :D

juannacho

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
Is there a mechanism in place to prevent people from touching the watch with a sensor? For example, if you're standing in a crowd, someone standing next to you could potentially touch a sensor against the watch to initiate a payment.

It's harder to do this with the iPhone 6 when it's in your pocket because it requires Touch ID authorization, but the Apple Watch doesn't need this and it's easily accessible on your wrist.

Surely when you want to pay for something with the watch, you'd need to go into the "Apple Pay" app? I doubt it just sits there on your wrist beaming cash at everyone and anyone in the vicinity?!

Certainly safer than my contactless debit card at any rate

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Surely when you want to pay for something with the watch, you'd need to go into the "Apple Pay" app? I doubt it just sits there on your wrist beaming cash at everyone and anyone in the vicinity?!

Certainly safer than my contactless debit card at any rate

https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/

"Double-click to pay and go. You can pay with Apple Watch — just double-click the button below the Digital Crown and hold the face of your Apple Watch near the contactless reader. A gentle pulse and beep confirm that your payment information was sent."

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Which if they have an iPhone 5 wont be as cumbersome as the process they are well used to of entering a passcode everytime they unlock their phone!

I really dont see a one of code entering as cumbersome....and to be honest there could be days where you are not going to any shop and have no requirement to enter the code to activate Apple Pay or if you happen to on the off chance out of the blue then you enter the code there and then quickly. Then there are the times that you are in a shop and use that fangled cash stuff you have in your other trouser pocket from your phone!

Half the iPhone users didn't do that already multiple times a day to unlock the iPhone since 2007 before Touch ID :roll eyes:

Edit: Bransoj, you got me :D

I understand that; however, I didn't use a passcode before TouchID so it's cumbersome to those of us who aren't used to it.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
That's the problem with this idea, they can check it there and then. They put the watch on their wrist enter the pin, and it tells them the pin is wrong... at this point they hold the knife to your neck and ask again. :eek:

So, when they take the watch, you *RUN*. You'd be *amazed* at the distance people can cover in the time it takes to put on a watch, much less try the PIN.

andy.senn

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2014
Eau Claire, WI
I think this is an awesome idea, and the fact that it allows users to make payments without disclosing any account information to the merchant is revolutionary! What I don't understand are the skeptics.

Some people are failing to make the contrast between this system and the one in use today. If you misplace your wallet, have a card stolen, or disclose your card information to a malicious merchant or one that is targeted by identity thieves, they have all they need; however, if someone wanted to compromise your Apple Pay account, they would need to get a hold of your Apple Watch (which I speculate would be much more difficult to remove from one's person than a wallet) and they would either need to know your PIN or acquire the watch with the wrist intact.

For those who really believe that Apple's new device will cause our society to devolve to a state where people sever each others' wrists to steal their identity: I think you would have much bigger things to worry about, but let's pretend that does happen. What if the watch, in addition to requiring constant skin contact, required a heartbeat as well? For example, what if after 5 seconds of no heartbeat, the device would lock itself?

Most importantly, however, is the fact that this service is completely optional. If the skeptics choose not to use it and it does get compromised, they can laugh at the rest of us and say "I told you so!", but until then, I feel much more comfortable with this than I do keeping my cards with me 24/7.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I think this is an awesome idea, and the fact that it allows users to make payments without disclosing any account information to the merchant is revolutionary!

It's not a new idea. Google Wallet uses a virtual card, for example.

However, yeah, anything that prevents mass info loss like the Target or Home Depot hacks, is good.

If someone has your pin code and watch, it is exactly as secure as someone having your pin code and credit card. Basically you would have to cancel as quickly as possible.

Exactly. Stolen card. Stolen phone. It's up to you to let your bank/CC know as soon as possible.

But it's even more important if the PIN is stolen as well. As I've noted before, having more security involved in a transaction does not always help you in a dispute. On the contrary, it can make it harder to prove that you didn't make the purchase. People with chip & PIN cards have been burned by this.

However a lot of people are robbed by having their credit/debit card cloned, the watch would stop this crime.

Yep. Any modern chip-based payment system stops the ability to clone cards, which is why the credit card companies are pushing them.

I accept that the watch probably won't be accepted everywhere, but it doesn't change that when it is accepted it will be more secure. I don't see how that is a gimmick.

The watch will be accepted anywhere that NFC payments are.

The security is mostly for the CC company's benefit. As anyone with good credit who's had a card or number stolen before knows, you aren't held liable.

Yes, according to Apple:
http://www.apple.com/apple-pay/

Apple Watch
Paired with iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, or iPhone 6 Plus.
In-store purchases only.

That's weird. Why only in-store? I thought that one whole point of Apple Pay was that TouchID allowed for more secure online purchases.

--

As for the double-click NFC enable on the watch, why????!!! That totally negates the whole convenience factor of being able to pay with only one hand free.

I mean, gosh. The whole point of NFC payments is supposed to be convenience and speed. Not adding more steps, which add nothing to the liability protection we already have with CC payments.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
In real life, the annoying part will be when you're in line behind someone trying to pay with their watch that hasn't been reauthorized yet.

It'll be even worse if they left their phone somewhere else :)

one could make a buffoonery video akin to the one apple did to demonstrate the current payment proess

harmonthe3rd

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2010
Appleton, WI
Not very secure. Crafty thieves would just have a slither of plastic at body temp to slide underneath the watch as they nab it. Im sure someone will start selling a tool. Bad idea to leave something authorised for a long time period. Asking for trouble.

No product is theft proof. The idea is to make it harder and take longer for a theft to accomplish their task. Which means by that time they are unable to use the information they were seeking. Yet how would a theft match your skin or body temp without removing the watch from your wrist?

snorkelman

Cancelled
Oct 25, 2010
That's weird. Why only in-store? I thought that one whole point of Apple Pay was that TouchID allowed for more secure online purchases.

As I understand it its not TouchID related, it's the additional NFC hardware in the 6 that allows the ApplePay online purchases (not the NFC transmitter but the secure one time code generator part of it)

Wheras as the watch has that NFC hardware for in-store use scenarios then the owner of any phone it can pair with (5/5c/5s and the 6s) can use the watch for physical in-store payments

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
It's not a new idea. Google Wallet uses a virtual card, for example.

Yeah, I can see why Google Wallet would falter here. According to Apple's website, the information is stored on the device in the Secure Element and not on Apple's servers.

So if Apple's servers were hacked they cannot retrieve Apple Pay card information. Yes they use the card on file with the iTunes accounts. Those numbers are still vulnerable (at the moment) to hacks. All of your other cards are not accessible to a hacker.

If Google's servers were hacked, there would be millions of users with exposed credit cards.

Time will tell and various security teams can put this to the test when Apple Pay is rolled out next month, but I see this as a win for Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.