Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What new storage options would you like Apple to offer?

• Keep it as it is! 50GB, 200GB, 2TB, & the family/friends workaround for 4TB options *only*

Votes: 38 14.4%
  • Add option for 6TB

Votes: 37 14.0%
  • Add option for 8TB

Votes: 31 11.7%
  • Add option for 10TB

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Allow users to select as much storage as they need in 1-2TB increments

Votes: 169 64.0%
  • Other (please comment below)

Votes: 12 4.5%

• Total voters

phill85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
After multiple iPhones, iPads, Mac Laptops, etc., I am sitting at 3.8TB’s of data in my iCloud. Anyone else almost maxed their storage out? I can’t just start deleting things… the vast majority of all of my data is from pictures and videos, spread out of the last 14 years.

Apple, if you’re listening… PLEASE give us higher/more storage options for iCloud!

Let me know what you think!

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
I personally hardly use the iCloud storage I have now. I became a minimalist around 2018 and went through and deleted a lot of the stuff that I didn’t need anymore. Doesn’t seem an option from your post.

It would be nice if they let you select as much storage as you would need.

metman888

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2022
I’ve been using iPhones since the 3GS, multiple iPads and MacBooks and I’m currently using 18GB of 50GB plan I’m on. I do have a clear out every now and then, I can’t comprehend how you’re using nearly 4tb. I do realise I’m considered a light user. Current phone is only a 128gb model, same with iPad.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
I’m currently using 486MB out if 5GB, only use it for keychain, safari bookmarks and health data.
I have ~3.5TB of data that I happily manage on my Mac, incl copying photos/videos from iPhone to Mac, and incl multiple local backups.
I have no intention to ever use any cloud service for my data.
Having said that, for those who do use and want to use iCloud, I think Apple should offer more choices

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
After multiple iPhones, iPads, Mac Laptops, etc., I am sitting at 3.8TB’s of data in my iCloud. Anyone else almost maxed their storage out? I can’t just start deleting things… the vast majority of all of my data is from pictures and videos, spread out of the last 14 years.

Apple, if you’re listening… PLEASE give us higher/more storage options for iCloud!

Are you relying on iCloud instead of buying a higher capacity device?

I ask because I don't have your problem. Every iPhone I have ever bought brand new has always been the maximum capacity Apple has offered at the time.

iPhone 5 - 64GB
iPhone 6+ - 128GB
iPhone 6s+ - 128GB
iPhone 11 Pro Max - 512GB

I do have a 2TB iCloud sub. But I also have Dropbox with 4.1TB and a 100GB Google One sub.

I don't have your issues…

2023-05-14 11.57.50.png

phill85

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 19, 2010
Thanks for the many responses. iCloud works for me because it’s automatic, and works without you having to do anything once paid for. I find that the data I have have had the longest without having issues finding it, is on iCloud, at this point. For me it’s about convenience, rather than speed or cost. I do realize others have prioritized those aspects of storage.

I find it interesting that people can have iPhones etc for years… and be using 50 megabytes out of a half terabyte. I buy an iPhone, Fuji cameras, etc., in order to actually use them and take pictures, videos. Lastly, for the person who asked, I use the highest capacity iPhone and iPad’s they offer… but data isn’t backed up simply because it’s saved on device.

Attachments

• B836CE97-700E-4A01-B1C5-2DE22ADEE718.jpeg
    B836CE97-700E-4A01-B1C5-2DE22ADEE718.jpeg
    176.7 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:

philstubbington

macrumors 6502

I don’t seem anywhere near close to using up the 2TB I have now. Shutdown my Flickr account in favour of iCloud, most documents are on OneDrive and video is primarily on the GoPro cloud, so don’t see any need for it personally.

TVreporter

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2012
Near Toronto
I have 2TB plan and 550GB used between myself and wife - estimate 90 percent are photos and videos.

Now that my son is getting one of our phones, I’m sure my shared plan storage is going to fill up faster than I like!

Apple should offer levels for every TB.

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Are you relying on iCloud instead of buying a higher capacity device?

I ask because I don't have your problem. Every iPhone I have ever bought brand new has always been the maximum capacity Apple has offered at the time.

iPhone 5 - 64GB
iPhone 6+ - 128GB
iPhone 6s+ - 128GB
iPhone 11 Pro Max - 512GB

I do have a 2TB iCloud sub. But I also have Dropbox with 4.1TB and a 100GB Google One sub.

I don't have your issues…

View attachment 2201962
I have enough space in my devices. But iCloud is another level of backup strategy for my Mac/iPad Pro and iphone. I don’t use any other cloud storage provider, for me it’s more about an additional backup in cloud than convenience.

VampyricGentleman

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2022
South Wales, UK
I think the default needs to be larger - don't need the TB however.
Definitely, I only use it for storing photos and videos I’ve taken on the phone so they are on my iPad later on for blogging or social media. It does store my backups for my devices and heath too. So most of the time I go just over 5gb each month so I’m paying for 44gb I don’t and probably won’t use each month.
Well i assume most of you pay for icloud+, but i got fed up

Compared to google, apple's 5gb just feels pety. It's really not enough nowadays. If base tier was 10-15gb it would be doable

But i assume it's all part of the cow milking plan again
It probably is milking the user but think 15gb which Google has offered for years now would be a good base point.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have enough space in my devices. But iCloud is another level of backup strategy for my Mac/iPad Pro and iphone. I don’t use any other cloud storage provider, for me it’s more about an additional backup in cloud than convenience.
I started with Dropbox around 2011, back before I had an iPhone. Once Dropbox launched the ability to backup my camera roll I turned it on.

Apple abandoned the PowerPC era for syncing devices in 2012 with the iPhone 5, my first iPhone. So Dropbox backing up my camera roll became invaluable. Since all my photos then go straight to any Mac/PC/device that has Dropbox installed it's a simple matter of periodically moving photos out of Dropbox to a backup location that itself gets backed up. In the mean time, my photos end up in my daily backups because the Dropbox folder is part of the computer backup. Dropbox is also currently still compatible with Mojave, the OS I am using on my 2009 MacPro.

I pay Dropbox for the max storage not (primarily) because of photos on my phone though. I have multiple computers that run weekly backups to my MacPro's Dropbox folder - which then go up to Dropbox. The backup of my camera roll is just convenience.

So, I'm only paying for iCloud storage as a backup to the backup. It really isn't relevant, nor is it even convenient compared to Dropbox. But if I need to restore my device from an iCloud backup it does then becomes convenient. I had to replace my iPhone last year and that is why I got the storage. I didn't want to have to dig out all my photos from backup and put them back on my device.

That happened anyway because for some reason iCloud didn't actually backup all my photos. But it did make it easier to get them back on my iPhone.

Thankfully Dropbox covered me.

Reactions: TechnoMonk

fegnomashic

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010

I completely agree. My family is getting closer to 2TB all the time. Mostly our photo and video collection.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Well, if Apple doesn’t have enough datacenters to house all of those hard drives (ssd or otherwise), they can’t really offer more storage options.

Me just one quarter away from reaching 2TB, and I don’t see the trend going down anytime soon. My OneDrive for business would probably need a substantial storage upgrade later down the line as well, since photo libraries are backed up on two storage providers…

Reactions: subzento
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.