Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PadreQuevedo

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2008
Seattle
In the past I had an iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4S and now I have a Galaxy Note 3.

iPhone has excellent hardware but I can't see myself going back to iOS. Too restrictive. For some people it's a good thing but not for me. I want versatility.

At home I have 2 MacBooks Air, Time Capsule, Airport Extreme, Airport Express, Apple TV. Pretty much what people call "Apple environment".

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Poor old Samsung, they and LG are the only companies showing growth compared to Apple.

Must suck to be making gains and profit up against a parochial favourite...

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Oh, I'm sure Apple could make the cursor look familiar :)

View attachment 456804

Or they could just use the fingerprint sensor to move a focus highlight from field to field. No cursor needed.

Both the cursor and focus scrolling ideas are bad suggestions in terms of usability. Quite a suboptimal method of providing one-handed operation on a large phone.

The cursor is just a pain as most people don't have the finger dexterity and precision to make this a worthwhile method of interaction now. My Blackberry worked this way; enough said.

Field-based focus scrolling is frustrating because there's no consistent order, so you usually have little confidence in where you're going with it. Once you're there, then what? Scroll through a keyboard? Given how many apps on the desktop are bad at establishing a reasonable tab-focus order (yeah, call me old school; I like keyboard navigation), there's no way this would ever work out for the average user.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
What is it that you think Google does with this data that Apple doesn't?

Well, I know Google uses my data to provide targeted ads and sell demographic information because that's exactly how they make money. And they seem to be making lots of money with it.

I also know Apple doesn't use much of the data for ads because iAds looks like it's an abysmal failure. And because there's no way a company that obsessed with keeping secrets would sell their collected information especially when selling hardware makes magnitudes more money.

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
Think about what's the difference between Google's business and Apple's business.

I hope I don't start a war with this...

Google was always more open source based so it was more translucent with its methods. Apple is always shrouded with secrecy, so it could be doing the exact same things. Yet, we as consumers, may not be fully aware of the extent of data collection.

I think a huge majority of companies do data collection. It's just not as blaringly obvious nor as easy to access information on.

I'm not bashing or condoning but there are no clear boundaries here.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I hope I don't start a war with this...

Google was always more open source based so it was more translucent with its methods. Apple is always shrouded with secrecy, so it could be doing the exact same things. Yet, we as consumers, may not be fully aware of the extent of data collection.

I think a huge majority of companies do data collection. It's just not as blaringly obvious nor as easy to access information on.

I'm not bashing or condoning but there are no clear boundaries here.
I think there is some truth to this POV……Apple seems to have this "halo" effect. That if they do something then it is better and more important and done for the right reasons than anyone else……..trust them they know what is best for you than you do…..

kdarling

macrumors P6

Yep. If you look at Google's and Apple's privacy policies, they're practically identical, right down to both saying that they aggregate anonymous data to use/share with other companies.

Both companies store info about our purchase history, devices, location, etc.

The biggest difference to me is that Google provides a personal dashboard (google.com/dashboard) where you can see what ad categories they've put you into, and you can edit those. (I do that if they keep showing me ads for something I finally found and bought.) You can also delete/modify all sorts of settings, from search history to custom voice recognition storage.

Apple has no similar way for us to know how they categorize us for ads.

aiom

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2013
Well, I know Google uses my data to provide targeted ads and sell demographic information because that's exactly how they make money. And they seem to be making lots of money with it.

I also know Apple doesn't use much of the data for ads because iAds looks like it's an abysmal failure. And because there's no way a company that obsessed with keeping secrets would sell their collected information especially when selling hardware makes magnitudes more money.

Apple is making a lot more with a lot less market share. Google net income for the past 4 years, 10.7b, 9.7b, 8.5b, 6.5b

Apple: 37b, 41.7b, 25.92b, 14b. The more noble or cooler company doesn't always make more money (look at oil companies). Apple makes a lot because it has a good product and it charges for it. Google gives everything for free and makes some money in advertising.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
You do realize Samsung isn't the only phones with larger than a 4" screen, right? S4, LG, G2, Nexus 5... the list goes on. The problem with this graph is Apple is the only manufacturer selling a phone with iOS on it. Look how many companies sell Android phones. A more fair comparison would be Apple vs. Android phones. If you add all the other companies that make Android phones up, it clearly blows Apple away. I'm sure if other comanies made phones with iOS on it, it would not look nearly as skewed as it does here.

But if you look at revenue and profits of Apple's iphone division vs android OEM rev/profits, it would tell a drastically different story

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
But.... But... 3.5 inch screen is the perfect size. Why do the blind loyalist now want a 4+ inch screen. The loyalist said a 4 inch screen couldn't be used with one hand. But on the iPhone it's possible. They said 4.3 inches was too big too, now they say 4.7 inch is the sweet spot. Why does the loyalist's goal posts keep moving?
They said a cheaper iPhone will kill Android, but somehow it didn't work out that way. They all laughed at the bigger screens, but now they follow Samsung who has made bigger screens and smaller bezels since the beginning.

I was happy with the 3.5" phone honestly. I was ok with it being 4" at most (though would have been just as happy with it staying 3.5").

I still don't want it bigger than 4" and I really hope these rumors are wrong. Well, unless the only change they make is the bigger screen. Basically what I fear is that if they go with offering a bigger screen it also means that if you want the phone with the good specs you'll also have to deal with the bigger screen. And if you want a smaller screen you'll have to deal with lesser specs. Some of us want the top of the line hardware but not the big screens. iPhone honestly was the last resort if you wanted a premium phone that wasn't some huge screen.

xofruitcake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
Apple is making a lot more with a lot less market share. Google net income for the past 4 years, 10.7b, 9.7b, 8.5b, 6.5b

Apple: 37b, 41.7b, 25.92b, 14b. The more noble or cooler company doesn't always make more money (look at oil companies). Apple makes a lot because it has a good product and it charges for it. Google gives everything for free and makes some money in advertising.

heh heh, not at all. Apple is a hardware company while Google is really a software company. If you look at their earning statement, Itune etc is small portion of Apple's quarter revenue and earning. Motorola is a large part of Google revenue but they are losing money for Google. Hardware companies has crazy up and down cycle and software companies tends to have more stable yoy revenue and earning. They are different kind of companies and there is no real reason to compare them..

jhtrico1850

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2007
But if you look at revenue and profits of Apple's iphone division vs android OEM rev/profits, it would tell a drastically different story

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/05/03/with-8-8-market-share-apple-has-73-of-cell-phone-profits/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...industry-profits-while-competitors-lose-money

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tonybra...s-market-share-but-apple-makes-all-the-money/

----------

heh heh, not at all. Apple is a hardware company while Google is really a software company. If you look at their earning statement, Itune etc is small portion of Apple's quarter revenue and earning. Motorola is a large part of Google revenue but they are losing money for Google. Hardware companies has crazy up and down cycle and software companies tends to have more stable yoy revenue and earning. They are different kind of companies and there is no real reason to compare them..

Apple is not like every company. They have advantages in hardware and software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.