Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Did you buy your computer used/second hand?

----------

Yes it was since i had already downloaded it by then :p

Nope.

I also discovered the problem and it's downloading now. It was a big mistake on my part, I screwed up and an hour or so of download time was wasted. :eek:

Vulkan

macrumors 6502
Apr 16, 2005
Useless, TX
Exactly the problem. What is the solution? Mavericks is free, but to get it one still has to install the older versions which are not free. Or will Apple change this?

If it's free, just download a torrent. It won't be illegal and I am sure many torrent sites will have it.

----------

Fantastic, at last Apple starts following Microsoft in shipping their service packs free!

Keep in mind here, Microsoft gave away a SERVICE PACK needed to Fix Windows 8. Apple gave away an OS Upgrade for Free, that makes a great OS better.

----------

The only thing I am really waiting for is OS X Server 3.0 (aka Mavericks Server). It's still not showing up on the Mac App Store.

BayouTiger

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
New Orleans
Reusing the Installer

Has anyone copied the downloaded installer over to another machine to install without a second download. I got it downloaded on my 50MB cable at the office, but I really don't want to have to download it again for my other Macs. Generally OS X deletes the installer from the Applications folder after completion but previously I have always kept a copy on an external for future reinstalls without an issue.

tooobe

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
Has anyone copied the downloaded installer over to another machine to install without a second download. I got it downloaded on my 50MB cable at the office, but I really don't want to have to download it again for my other Macs. Generally OS X deletes the installer from the Applications folder after completion but previously I have always kept a copy on an external for future reinstalls without an issue.

I'm sure this still works.

haddy

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
Okay just installed....seems okay. Install process took a wee while...."less than a minute to go" took about 10mins both times and this is on my maxed out late 2012 27' iMac with the 768 sad.

SkydiveGuy

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
Sneaky bastards

My company just spent $3000 to get Apple Volume Licensing and Apple Maintenance Licensing.

So they stole our money and also allow everyone to instantly upgrade before Dell/Quest has an opportunity to update their software for us to use it.... so if any end users decide to upgrade on their own, their system will be inoperable.

While Im happy as a consumer that its available now, a little lead time for the corporate customers would have been nice...

hyperduc

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013

Yes, you can copy it over later across the network or airdrop if you copy it to another location other than Applications before installing in your main mac. (After installing it will delete the installer from Applications folder)

OR you can create a USB installer. Highly recommended...
To make a bootable USB of the GM, use this method:

Your 8 GB USB drive should be called Untitled and formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). The installer should be called Install OS X Mavericks.app and should be in your Applications folder.

Run this in terminal and wait about 20 minutes:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

You should see something like this:

Erasing Disk: 0%... 10%... 20%... 100%...
Copying installer files to disk...
Copy complete.
Making disk bootable...
Copying boot files...
Copy complete.
Done.

You can then boot up from the USB by holding down the option key, then install the GM from the USB.

Credited here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1649986/

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Spoken like a true fan boy.

No. Spoken as someone who has used and supported Windows for 20 years, and who has used OS X for 5 years.

Tell me how I'm wrong.

----------

Why are you bothering to answer a troll? He watched the entire keynote just so he could run over here and piss you off. Don't let him.

Good point. But calling him out on that was pretty low hanging fruit. :)

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
Yes, you can copy it over later across the network or airdrop if you copy it to another location other than Applications before installing in your main mac. (After installing it will delete the installer from Applications folder)

OR you can create a USB installer. Highly recommended...

Credited here: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1649986/

Thanks!

I have to ask something a bit stupid but I've never had Windows installed along side OS X until now.

Is there a way to do a clean install of OS X on that section of my partition and it not screw up my Windows 8 install? Even if it's a relatively lengthy or stupidly time consuming process, I'd LOVE to know what and how to do it.

DDrivera717

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
Well everything has been going fine for the past 24 hours till this afternoon when my fan decided to max out. No apps were open asides from activity monitor and noticed "com.apple.IconServicesAgent" had a 313% cpu usage. A force close solved the problem though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.