Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Why do people keep calling it the iPhone 5 when it's going to be the 6th generation iPhone. It will either be the iPhone 6, iPhone LTE, iPhone 4G, or something like that. iPhone 5 would mean it's the 5th iPhone they ever made, which isn't true.

So, the iPhone was the th iPhone they ever made,
the iPhone 3G was the 3Gth iPhone they ever made,
the iPhone 3Gs was the 3Gsth iPhone they ever made,
the iPhone 4 was the 4th iPhone they ever made,
and the iPhone 4s was the 4sth iPhone they ever made.

Right? Because that's what you're saying it *has* to mean if they call it the iPhone 5.

It's a model designation, not a counter. It's *never* been a counter, and it's only ever *looked* like a counter *once*. Get over it.

----------

"The new iPhone"

That's my guess, as well.

RRRize

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2008
I agree. Posts like the OP don't seem to get this fundamental fact: A multitouch device is defined by its size. The iPod touch is an iPod. It is not a small iPad. The iPad is an iPad. It is not a big iPod touch. A device of intermediate size would be a completely different device with a different target function. Because they all run iOS means that they can share many of the same apps. Sharing apps, however, does not change the fact that they are different devices.

This would all be true if not for the FACT that:

an iPod touch IS an iPhone without the phone functionality AND
an iPad IS just a bigger iPod touch.

Same devices, different sizes, phenomenal marketing! Don't get it twisted!;)

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
I was wondering if my 42" 1080 tv 10' away meets Apple's notion of a retina display. Anyone got the math on that?

Never mind - I forgot about this site. Basically, 42" @720 >8' away is beyond visual acuity @ 20/20, and 42" @1080 >5' away is beyond visual acuity. So, I guess my 42" tv at 720p is already a retina display! :D

Last edited:

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
I have no doubt that Apple tests all sorts of shapes and sizes for potential new products. That doesn't mean that any of them stand a chance of production. In their labs there probably are iPads from 5" up to 15" in different aspect ratios etc. That's part of R&D, and a company like Apple invests heavily in R&D.

The only way this thing is for real is if the current iPod Touch is getting killed off. Additional space would make for more battery room, and more room for storage. They've wanted to kill off the iPod Classic for a while now, if they can get more storage into a Touch, they may be able to pull it off.

Beyond that, the iPod Touch is a popular gaming device. Especially for kids and teens who's parents aren't ready to bite the bullet on a phone with a monthly data plan.

Increasing the size and capacity of the iPod Touch could be a smart move. Even if a 7.85" iPad is coming, that device would still be too big to slip into a pocket and from the sound of things, wouldn't have a Retina display. The iPad Mini being rumored really just sounds like a cheap iPad. A 5" iPod Touch with Retina could easily be presented as a premium product to replace a cannibalized one.

That may also indicate that the iPhone will continue to have a 3.5" display, which while some may complain, is a major differentiator between it and the other Gigantophones on the market currently.

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
5'' has got to be the most ridiculous size ever. It's smack in the middle between tablet and smartphone. If this rumor is true, then I doubt the display will be used for anything smartphone/tablet-like. That leaves the question: What could use a 5'' display that isn't a smartphone or tablet? Perhaps a touchscreen remote? Possible. It's possible for a remote to use a 5'' display if it's long and narrow, like they usually are.

prestonkd

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
Alabama
I'm pretty sure I already have the remote for the Apple TV. Actually, two of them. A big one and a small one.

These guys actually have a "terrible" track record on predictions. Whatever Apple is working on, you can be pretty sure that most of us won't know about it until Tim Cook or somebody announces it at an Apple event.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
IF this rumor is true it is the remote for Apple TV +.

The mid sized iPad is probably the K-6 ed model. Might even be wifi only or most sales to wifi markets.

The oddball dimensions might be 16:9 for video previews and simply display traditional apps in a frame.

Rocketman

Wirelessly posted

Touch screen remote for the apple tv.

Cold be that and a gaming pad too.

guspasho

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2011
Can you keep these pictures to non-productive sites like failblog and Facebook please? Personally, I find them seriously annoying, pointless and immature.

Like this topic is productive?

I came in here to ask MacRumors to stop publishing every little thing that gets submitted to it, especially stuff as highly questionable as this. The quantity of iPad Mini/iPhone Mini/etc posts is maddening. Apple doesn't fragment their iOS ecosystem like Android does, and won't ever introduce a new device or a "mini" anything without a very compelling reason. You want an iPad Mini? It's called an iPod Touch.

Apple makes all kinds of prototypes that will get junked and never see the light of day. Them ordering a few units of something or other means nothing.

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
Seems pretty unlikely to me.

I seriously doubt that Apple would introduce a new handheld resolution at this stage, since they've made it clear that they want to keep the current two form factors; the resolution-doubling technique (a.k.a. 'Retina') is a cleverly simple way of reaching high DPI displays without the hassle of resolution independence and the creation of vastly different application user interfaces.

The iPad may have 'created a new category of device', but there were always attempts at devices in that size category. The iPad nailed it, and didn't seem like a crazy new device (there was room for its form factor). I honestly can't picture the need for yet another device size, though.

5" display is getting into Galaxy Note territory (which I personally think is stupid and pointless) and 7.85" is a sub-optimal iPad size (in my opinion). If I were in charge of Apple, I'd leave all the device types as they are and concentrate on improving each category, as the company has done until now.

It's interesting to play with these rumours, but I think that these different size ideas are a bit silly.

Reek99

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
Wirelessly posted

Ok I can see a Apple TV dedicated touch remote out of this, I don't really see an iPhone the big nor an iPad that small. So I've been thinking what else could be revelutionized in our wonderful world of art and a Market that's not been booming cause of a plateau effect, Just in my opinion So don't go bashing me cuz I'm not as smart as you or know everything just like you. I like to play the Apple guessing game like everyone else and here's my Guess ((((((-drum-roll-)))))
A in car Audio Head Unit with ios/ touchscreen ( 5" sounds about right) to seemlessly play Music, talk on your iPhone via Bluetooth (of course), and add a whole laundry list of things that could be done, say use the hotspot off ur phone to enable Internet thru the Unit for GPS or whatever. Just think about it.
Like I said this is just my guess so don't kill me with the negatives.

Aug 19, 2008
hmmm.... Apple TV Remote and/or GameConsole GamePad with Touchscreen... such the new Nintendo Wii U?

----------

A in car Audio Head Unit with ios/ touchscreen ( 5" sounds about right) to seemlessly play Music, talk on your iPhone via Bluetooth (of course), and add a whole laundry list of things that could be done, say use the hotspot off ur phone to enable Internet thru the Unit for GPS or whatever. Just think about it.
Like I said this is just my guess so don't kill me with the negatives.

Well, I definitely can see a "Car Digital Hub"...

however, most of Car Radio already use 7" touchscreen. So I have hard time to believe they could come with a smaller screen size.

My 2 cents :)

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
I could see this being true. Either they will release an iPad Mini or they will make the iPod Touch larger. ;-)

Option #1:
iPad
iPad Mini
iPod Touch
iPhone

Option #2:
iPad
iPod Touch (5")
iPhone

- Joe

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
this is the iPDA you fools! ;) remember Apple was supposed to work on a PDA before they released the iPhone..

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
It's two 3.5" screens
It's a 5" screen
It's a 7" screen
It's a big iPhone
It's a small iPad
It's an iPod Touch with a data plan
It's a TV Remote
It's a PDA
It's a car stereo component

It's a rumor.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
No way there's gonna be a 5'' (giant) iPhone AND a 7.5'' iPad (mini)...

How about a 15" iPod Touch??? :D I'm sure someone could use it.

This kind of rumors are what the lack of good news does to a nice day like today was supposed to be.

----------

Mac Otakara... strikes again. They have a stunning history of inaccuracy.

Well,they need people to go to their site and click on their Ads so they could make money... :D

deftdrummer

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
San Diego
Wirelessly posted

Never. Gonna. Happen.

I could just see it now: "hey tech friend, should I buy iPad mini or 'real' iPad? Which is better?"

Confusion ensues. Customer buys neither. What would a smaller device offer?

If portability and price decreases are the sole reasons apple would jump on this then they'd be grossly misinformed. A smaller iPad is not what anyone wants. A phone fits the small end of the spectrum while the iPad itself makes up the market for anything "bigger."

I just don't see a use. Of course my opinion is subjective and not of the mainstream, but I would think the mainstream even would wonder what the deal is with a smaller device.

DoctorWho

Suspended
Jun 18, 2011
Hobart, Tasmania
Wirelessly posted

To the people saying that it'll be a new remote: There's no way. You already have 3 remotes. They're called iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.