Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone-6-Touch-ID-250x248.png
Unlocking an iPhone via Touch ID in lieu of a passcode makes it much easier to maintain security while preserving convenience, and Touch ID's ease of use has left many Mac users wondering when a similar feature might be introduced for Apple's desktop and notebook machines.

There has been speculation Apple might introduce dedicated Touch ID fingerprint scanning hardware for the Mac, but as it turns out, Apple is working on a simpler way to allow a Touch ID to unlock a Mac, and it's a feature that could be included in OS X 10.12.

Apple engineers are designing an auto unlock function that would allow an iPhone to unlock a Mac when in close proximity, alleviating the need to enter a password on a password-protected Mac.

The feature, which uses Bluetooth LE frameworks, will presumably work similarly to the automatic unlocking function on the Apple Watch, which allows an unlocked iPhone to bypass the passcode restriction on a connected Apple Watch. In this scenario, an iPhone's Touch ID button would likely be used as a verification method for simpler logins.

It's also possible that a connection with an Apple Watch could be used to unlock the Mac even when an iPhone isn't present, making the process even simpler. This concept has already been demonstrated through the Knock app for the iPhone and Apple Watch, using a Bluetooth connection to unlock a Mac instead of a password. Knock requires an iOS app and a Mac app to work, but an Apple-designed feature will undoubtedly be simpler.

The unlocking feature would likely work hand-in-hand with Apple Pay support for web browsers, also rumored to be coming soon. Remote Touch ID authentication from the iPhone or Apple Watch may be used to confirm purchases made via Siri on the Mac.

Features planned for OS X 10.12 are not yet set in stone, so there is a chance that the unlocking function could be shelved until a later date if work is not completed in time.

Because OS X 10.11 El Capitan focused heavily on internal updates and optimizations, Apple appears to be aiming to debut new features in OS X 10.12. Along with the unlocking feature, Apple is also working on integrating Siri into the Mac and we may see improvements to Photos and iTunes.

Details on Siri for Mac and the prospective design of the dock and menu bar icons can be seen in a post we shared yesterday.

Article Link: Apple Working on OS X 10.12 Feature Allowing Macs to Be Unlocked via iPhone's Touch ID

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Honestly, I hope this is temporary and there will be a fingerprint sensor built into Macs. Not everyone has iPhones, and most importantly, I'm not about to pull out my phone to unlock it, open an app, then fingerprint it again. Might as well enter my 6-digit password because that's about as secure my computer needs to be since nobody even has access to it.

Bbqthis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2015
Bay Area, CA
Honestly, I hope this is temporary and there will be a fingerprint sensor built into Macs. Not everyone has iPhones, and most importantly, I'm not about to pull out my phone to unlock it, open an app, then fingerprint it again. Might as well enter my 6-digit password because that's about as secure my computer needs to be since nobody even has access to it.
Where would you propose putting the finger print scanner?

garirry

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2013
Canada is my city
Where would you propose putting the finger print scanner?
On MacBook Pros, you could just put it near the power button, and change the power button to something else. On desktop computers, just place it directly into the power button, it's round anyway so there won't be any design complications. On MacBooks it might be a problem though, I'll admit.

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
Another solution in search of a problem to solve. Who really needs this? And what are the security implications of the handshake/data transfers needed between iOS and OS X?

Reactions: alvindarkness

American Hero

Suspended
Jan 25, 2016
There has been speculation Apple might introduce dedicated Touch ID fingerprint scanning hardware for the Mac, but as it turns out, Apple is working on a simpler way to allow a Touch ID to unlock a Mac, and it's a feature that could be included in OS X 10.12.
Apple engineers are designing an auto unlock function that would allow an iPhone to unlock a Mac when in close proximity, alleviating the need to enter a password on a password-protected Mac.

Google has had this feature for years. In fact, it's not limited to just a Phone unlocking a computer... it's also available in a proximate area, and also when you connect certain devices to blue tooth and NFC. Although this is strictly for having your phone staying unlocked, but Apple is copying the same basic ideas but limiting it to Mac's when the iPhone/Watch is nearby instead.

Bbqthis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2015
Bay Area, CA
On MacBook Pros, you could just put it near the power button, and change the power button to something else. On desktop computers, just place it directly into the power button, it's round anyway so there won't be any design complications. On MacBooks it might be a problem though, I'll admit.
I would think it would be better to implement it as part of the trackpad/mouse. Reaching behind my iMac or a Mac Pro to unlock the machine with a fingerprint seems awfully inconvenient.

rudychidiac

Suspended
May 2, 2012
Lebanon
I currently use MacID and it works perfectly. I set it to unlock my macbook whenever I enter the room. However the only inconvenience is that it requires to keep the iOS app open which is annoying sometimes.

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

American Hero

Suspended
Jan 25, 2016
This is dumb as hell... Put a Touch ID sensor on one of the keys and be done with it

Touch ID doesn't even have to be on one of the keys. Just build the sensor right into the track pad. Second, partner with Visa Checkout & MasterCard Paypass so users can use Apple Pay right from a Mac in places where those payment services are accepted, and build on from there.

I can't believe an average guy like me knows more than Tim Cook and his "innovators" at Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.