Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soyazul

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2015
Argentina
Club world cup is and always has been a useless worthless competition.

The only clubs worth playing are in European champions league.. All other clubs around the world won't be able to compete and will get thrashed easily.

This new World Club Cup is a bold move by FIFA. I think it is a very interesting concept that deserves a chance. You are showing the typical European arrogance will fall as the one shown by Mbappé before the World Cup.

South American teams will recover the pride and the shine that used to have. Maybe 2025 won't be the case, but 2029 Will give us a South American champion again.

2012 Corinthians: 1 - Chelsea: 0
2006 Internacional de Porto Alegre: 1 - Barcelona: 0
2005 São Paulo: 1 - Liverpool: 0
2003 Boca Jr. 3 - Milan: 1
2001 Boca Jr. 2 - Real Madrid: 1
1994 Velez: 2 - Milan: 0
1993 São Paulo: 3 - Milan: 2
1992 São Paulo: 2 Barcelona: 1

soyazul

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2015
Argentina
This isn’t the competition to get huge subscriber numbers.

I’m from England and we obviously love our football but I don’t know many people that have ever watched this competition.

This new World Club Cup is a bold move by FIFA. I think it is a very interesting concept that deserves a chance. You are showing the typical European arrogance will fall as the one shown by Mbappé before the World Cup.

South American teams will recover the pride and the shine that used to have. Maybe 2025 won't be the case, but 2029 Will give a South American champion again.

The earlier you go, you will see more South American teams.

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Formula 1, now Fifa...
Wrestle the Tour de France, Americas Cup and Olympics away from the abysmally bad NBC exclusives and film it in immersive video for the Vision Pro (w a couple 360deg cameras on boats, bikes & drones and I'll buy one and sign up just for that. Every year I just end up having to pirate all the coverage from Europeans in random languages and qualities.

Reactions: zapmymac

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
Just another excuse for Apple to charge me more, so I can subsidize sports, of which I watch none/zip/nada/zero.

I hope they break Apple up into at least 3 separate companies.

slkjflla

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2017
It’s being massively reconfigured and virtually rebranded though.
The amount of elite teams taking part, and the change in the calendar will make it much more popular than before.
It’s not Champions League, or Premier League levels popular, but much more than before.
Honestly, I highly doubt it. I've been watching football for decades and the current incarnation of the FIFA Club Cup is a complete irrelevance to most European fans. I'm not even sure if I've ever watched a game from it.

Whats-a-computer?

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2024
You are showing the typical European arrogance will fall as the one shown by Mbappé before the World Cup.

South American teams will recover the pride and the shine that used to have.
I wouldnt call it arrogance. We just dont care about a tournament only because fifa wants us to. Im sure South American Teams can win. But nobody In Europe will know it, because nobody here knows/cares about club world cup anyway.

Jeehut

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2021
Mainz, Germany
And so, the spatial revolution of soccer live-streaming begins! I can’t wait to experience my favorite sport in 8K 180° 3D. 😍

icolove

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2012
And so, the spatial revolution of soccer live-streaming begins! I can’t wait to experience my favorite sport in 8K 180° 3D. 😍

Well, considering that a lot of stadiums are still not equipped to live broadcast 4K, you're gonna be waiting a while for 8K.

ds2000

macrumors 6502a
May 24, 2012
Pretty sure in the UK, the WorldCup has to be on free-TV. I imagine many other countries are the same

nawoo

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2008

South American teams will recover the pride and the shine that used to have. Maybe 2025 won't be the case, but 2029 Will give a South American champion again.

The earlier you go, you will see more South American teams.
south american teams can't defend. Even if they win, its because the european teams are playing their reserve squads.

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Don't think it will be free to air if Apple secures the rights. Apple may even charge an additional fee to get access to the content.

icolove

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2012
Don't think it will be free to air if Apple secures the rights. Apple may even charge an additional fee to get access to the content.
It'll be a tournament no one cares about anyway, 2026 is the real deal. This is just another attempted FIFA cash grab. The tournament doesn't even have title sponsors yet or confirmed venues.

Reactions: Whats-a-computer?

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
Honestly, I highly doubt it. I've been watching football for decades and the current incarnation of the FIFA Club Cup is a complete irrelevance to most European fans. I'm not even sure if I've ever watched a game from it.
Much like the ‘Nations League’ it’s just another way to monetise a game that is getting too expensive.

If it was more about entertainment than money the Champions League would go back to being a 100% knockout competition like the old European Cup.

The most exciting and interesting cup competition in the world is still the FA Cup. Every team in the country gets a shot and it normally results in some great giant killings by the minnow semi-pro leagues which in turn gets more money into grassroots football.

They should fold the sub-par Europa League into the Champions League (with the CM teams as round 4 seeds) with results 100% knockout. It widens participation and could lead to some interesting upsets like AEK Atenas knocking out Real Madrid because they had a bad day.

The big teams would still dominate but the smaller ones would have their day.

DownUnderDan

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2018
Hobart Australia
Most ATV+ Shows are A++. Excellent quality content, not all appealing to my taste, but it's quality content.
I just need more free time to watch. Unlike other services who have a ton of mediocre movies and shows, and only a few good ones.
Thats a new spin on the "I'll buy anything from Apple if its new and shiny".

widestload

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
manchester UK
CLUB world cup, yet the image in the story shows national team kits? 😅. And unfortunately with so many of the big (fan base) clubs not be included due to recent performance, the viewership of the event is probably going to be way down from where it could have been.

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
Club World Cup has always been a third or fourth rate competition and perhaps it will become relevant, perhaps it won't.

The interesting matches are between the CL and Libertadores winners and even those have become quite one sided along the years.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Thats a new spin on the "I'll buy anything from Apple if its new and shiny".
And here’s another example of someone repeating other people’s empty comments, at the purest degree of ignorance.
An empty comment from someone who has no clue (and no money).
Just go back to playing with you Huawei phone.

mdatwood

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
This isn’t the competition to get huge subscriber numbers.

I’m from England and we obviously love our football but I don’t know many people that have ever watched this competition.
Fair point. I was saying it more generally when people say they don't want to pay for sports on a service, that oftentimes it's the sports contracts covering the cost for the non-sport watching people.

imtoretto

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2023
oh hell nah, more subs payments? no thank you, im just fine watching the MLS from a link on the web for free.

soyazul

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2015
Argentina
This is a message for all Eurocentrists and only Premiere League cares:

Historically the majority of the most talented players in the world who play in the biggest clubs in the world are from South America.

Football is a global sport, and the new World Club Cup has been reconfigured to create club competition with the best clubs in the world from all continents.

I firmly believe in this idea. So I kindly ask you to open your mind and reconsider this tournament as something diverse and fun as National teams FIFA WORLD CUP. I am sure that you'll be hooked immediately at the moment you see your favorite team advancing in the tournament.

South American teams will recover the pride and the shine that used to have. Maybe 2025 won't be the case, and an European team will win. but 2029 Will give us a South American champion again.

Thank you and good luck!

soyazul

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2015
Argentina
south american teams can't defend. Even if they win, its because the european teams are playing their reserve squads.
I advise you to read a little and watch some videos on YouTube.

and you will see the European teams with all their best players giving all their effort to beat their opponents in the World Cup final (first was called Intercontinental Cup and then FIFA Club World Cup) and in 2025 will have national teams FIFA World Cup configuration with 32 clubs around the world

here is the 2000 final played by. Real Madrid Vs Boca Jr.

Historically the majority of the most talented players in the world who play in the biggest clubs in the world are from South America.

Football is a global sport, and the new World Club Cup has been reconfigured to create club competition with the best clubs in the world from all continents.

I firmly believe in this idea. So I kindly ask you to open your mind and reconsider this tournament as something diverse and fun as National teams FIFA WORLD CUP. I am sure that you'll be hooked immediately at the moment you see your favorite team advancing in the tournament.

2000 Boca Jr. 2 - Real Madrid: 1

Thank you and good luck!

soyazul

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2015
Argentina
I wouldnt call it arrogance. We just dont care about a tournament only because fifa wants us to. Im sure South American Teams can win. But nobody In Europe will know it, because nobody here knows/cares about club world cup anyway.

This is a message for all Eurocentrists and only Premiere League cares:

Thank you and good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.