Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have been a die hard apple customer for 10 years now but it's ******** like this that is making considering selling every apple product I have and never buying anything apple again.

Over an app that is not the sharpest tack in the bunch? A little over the top don't you think? But hey, I'll take your apple products off your hands for a very reasonable price.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
This sentence is extremely insightful: it's suicidal to tie your own company's fate to a target platform that only has ONE distribution channel.

You got a lot of down votes because people here typically don't like to hear the truth.

No, the downvotes are because it's ridiculous and illogical, but mostly because it's a lie. Over 80% of mobile app profits are on iOS, so the plain fact is, if you're going to be in that business, it's financially suicidal not to target iOS. All businesses have risk factors, and the tiny risk that your app might run afoul of an edge case in Apple's policies (it wouldn't be a story if this sort of thing was common) is a risk that any sane person or company would take.

--Eric

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
No matter what others are saying I am for one glad Apple is going to help them keep the amp and just make sure its UI does not look so much like SIRI. Good for Apple and I like to see more of this than just outright removal. :)

Mr. Gates

macrumors 68020
One of the many reasons NOT to write software for Apple's iOS platform. On the long run, it's suicidal to tie your own company's fate to a target platform that only has ONE distribution channel and that is run by a company with Apple's arrogant attitude. Apple just doesn't play well with others and is afraid of any competition - but that fear never kept Apple from ripping off other developers' ideas and afterwards selling its rip-offs as "revolutionary" new features. It's both pathetic and disgusting.

Well said, thought out and very true.

I Like you Winni

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
... and the tiny risk that your app might run afoul of an edge case in Apple's policies (it wouldn't be a story if this sort of thing was common) is a risk that any sane person or company would take.

--Eric

Most developers would give anything to have the publicity of being "picked on" by Apple in this way.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
No, the downvotes are because it's ridiculous and illogical, but mostly because it's a lie. Over 80% of mobile app profits are on iOS, so the plain fact is, if you're going to be in that business, it's financially suicidal not to target iOS. All businesses have risk factors, and the tiny risk that your app might run afoul of an edge case in Apple's policies (it wouldn't be a story if this sort of thing was common) is a risk that any sane person or company would take.

--Eric

You're attempting to disprove what the previous poster said by making a different point. Both of you are right, just in different ways. It is probably not great practice to focus your business on a proprietary platform of another business, but at the same time, iOS is the dominant platform in terms of application profit. Evi put all its eggs in one basket. it is what it is

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I bought Evi a while back when I had my iPad 2. I used Activator to assign it to launch Evi upon a long hold just like Siri on the 4S. I only used it occasionally, but it was nice to have an alternative to Siri on my device which arbitrarily could not run Siri.

Lito

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2003
And asking Evi...

Me: Are you Siri?

Evi: I don't know right now - try asking it again next week.

26 Feb 2012 22:03

:cool:

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    206.3 KB · Views: 57

MacAddict1978

macrumors 68000
Jun 21, 2006
HUH???

So are they going to remove all the other calculator, weather, texting, note-taking, and mail apps from the AppStore because they're "confusingly similar" to the native ones?

And the native ones suck... which is why we download them from other developers. If only they'd let us delete the native apps. Native weather is the most useless piece of #%)#%)# ever. And some of us don't ever look at stocks, or our news apps have stocks set in them anyway.

izniznot

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
Loss?

I bought Evi yesterday. This am I asked "What film won the Oscar 2012? The answer I got back was - I forget exactly and I've already deleted the app- "Hugo and the Artist battle for..." I asked for directions from my house to Davis CA and it referred me to Google Maps or some such. While watching an Apple commercial featuring Siri, I simply asked "where are the nearest gas stations?" and got back a link to a webpage for "Menchies" or something like that. It was then, and that question was the last of several unsuccessful attempts to get immediately actionable information, it was then that I deleted it and felt glad that I had forgotten to recommend it to several folks, so they could take advantage of the cheap price(.99). Sorry, evi; you just ain't my type.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
You should learn to read. If you know how to read then you should learn to comprehend. From the very article you quoted:

Despite the eye-popping growth numbers, the total number for mobile malware remains minuscule, compared with malware targeting traditional computers.
If you read "total number for mobile malware remains minuscle" and understand "Android is malware ridden" you have a problem. Also, again from the article:

"Hackers are incented to target Android, because there are simply more Android devices as compared to the competition," said Hoffman.
Apple is slightly more secure due to its screening policies and closed marketplace, but iOS users have their own set of mobile security challenges, according to the report.
Mobile devices are just as vulnerable to browser-based attacks triggered when a user navigates to a malicious Website as computers. There are fewer choices available for iOS users when it comes to security products to protect them from these kinds of threats.

"This lack of software protection and a competitive security market leave users with little protection if malware were ever to make it through Apple's application-vetting process," the report found.

In fact, there are several examples of developers slipping apps past Apple's screeners last year. The most prominent example was when Apple researcher Charlie Miller got a seemingly innocuous app approved for the App Store, and then was able to use the app to remotely execute code on devices.

TL;DR: The article states that malware in mobile device is growing but still very low compared to desktop computers. iOS is only slightly better compared to Android but has his own set of problems. Original poster doesn't know how to read and/or comprehend.

Last edited:

cg0def

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
I'd say Apple bought the wrong company but there is no reason why they can't just buy one more and merge the two engines that is unless the internal version of Siri already does all that Evi has to offer.

kokako

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Evi....Siri.....jesus some people try anything to cash in, name too close functionality ripped off, to the developer go make a fart app you plagiarist gimp.

ADMProducer

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2010
Apple should really try to address the real-life similar or confusing things such as the apps that clearly call themselves things like "iMessage". I am not one of those confused folk, but many uninformed users are.

It is hard to mix-up something that is an app and then something that is integrated into the system. Notwithstanding their immediate GUI differences.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
"1984" has arrived.....courtesy of the Apple "Iron Fist"

I tried submitting my topdbag.com companion app and they deemed it "offensive" even though I had given it all adult ratings.

It's not even that offensive. Its pictures of dbags you vote up or down. Hardly that offensive. Apple decides for us all what is offensive or not.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
The simplest response from Apple would be to make Siri part of the next iOS upgrade for all of its mobile products instead of limiting it to the new hardware.

unlinked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2010
Ireland
You're attempting to disprove what the previous poster said by making a different point. Both of you are right, just in different ways. It is probably not great practice to focus your business on a proprietary platform of another business, but at the same time, iOS is the dominant platform in terms of application profit. Evi put all its eggs in one basket. it is what it is

Speaking of being right and wrong, Evi is available on both iOS and Android.

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
Evi is hit and miss for me, but has 2 important things over Siri.

1. It works on my iphone 4.

2. It does actually pull information up for the UK.

Evi wins.

jasvncnt

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2011
New Jersey
WOW! If you can't see this as how shameless Apple is when it comes to getting rid of the competition, then you gotta be the biggest blind loyalist around. They go on an endless rant about Samsung, yet use their parts. They take apps off the app store that for the sole reason of putting it on a newer device and nothing older. Then they call Android fragmented and that you have to keep upgrading if you want the newest OS or apps. Apple is without a doubt afraid of competition. They know the market is moving faster than they ever would, so the only way to catch up or slow down the market is sue or remove the competition. They know they're the type of company that rely heavily on blind followers, who will never question their choices. They can come out with a 2 inch display on the next iPhone, and it's guaranteed the blind followers will buy it with complete joy. What a joke.

EXACTLY. One of the best posts I have ever read here.

talaria-racing

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Not surprised. Apple always has assumed we are all too stupid to tell the difference about anything. Like the difference between Apple tablets and Samsung tablets - DUHHHH!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.