Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Hey, I was wondering if I can swap out my iPhone 5 via AppleCare plus if I have some dents from dropping it. The damage is all cosmetic for now but it's starting to bother me.

I'm willing to pay the $50 fee.

I'm just curious if they will let me do it if there's nothing wrong functionally with the phone.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Hey, I was wondering if I can swap out my iPhone 5 via AppleCare plus if I have some dents from dropping it. The damage is all cosmetic for now but it's starting to bother me.

I'm willing to pay the $50 fee.

I'm just curious if they will let me do it if there's nothing wrong functionally with the phone.

Technically no. However, that doesn't mean they won't make an exception and swap it out for you anyway.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I've been wondering the same thing about a 4S I have had since October 2011. I'd be interested to hear what other people's experiences have been.
I'm thinking of scheduling an appointment at the Genius bar to ask them about a replacement because the battery is starting to show its age after all this time. Would also be nice to get a replacement device that doesn't have small scratches all over the screen. I'd also be happy to pay the $50 replacement fee.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Normal wear and tear will not get you an Applecare replacement. The phone has to be damaged!!! ;)

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
take it in, ask for replacement if they refuse pick it up off the counter and let it slip out of your hand onto floor. pay $50. walk out

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Well, it covers accidents now, so submerge it in water and take it to the store

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
I don't understand why anyone would purposefully do an AppleCare replacement this early in the iphone 5's life. Use it as a phone and I'm sure a legitimate opportunity will eventually present itself.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I don't understand why anyone would purposefully do an AppleCare replacement this early in the iphone 5's life. Use it as a phone and I'm sure a legitimate opportunity will eventually present itself.

I'm abroad right now and I figure I'd do it when I get back in May. If something else happens then I still get one more replacement (with another $50 fee) as AppleCare+ covers two accidental damage claims.

By the end of the year I may get the next version and give this one to the wife (who will probably use a crazy case so any new cosmetic issues won't be a problem - she uses the survivor case on my old 4S right now).

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
I'm abroad right now and I figure I'd do it when I get back in May. If something else happens then I still get one more replacement (with another $50 fee) as AppleCare+ covers two accidental damage claims.

By the end of the year I may get the next version and give this one to the wife (who will probably use a crazy case so any new cosmetic issues won't be a problem - she uses the survivor case on my old 4S right now).

U could still transfer your remaining AppleCare+ plan to a newly purchased iPhone, if you are getting a 5S, that is

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
U could still transfer your remaining AppleCare+ plan to a newly purchased iPhone, if you are getting a 5S, that is

Coverage does not transfer between phones unless its a service replacement. An upgrade would have to have a separate APP+ purchased for it. However, the OP could see about getting a pro-rated refund.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.