Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spaceman Spiff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2003
Alright, somewhat of a unusual situation here. My brother is selling his iBook, and posted it online online for a price lower than he would've charged if he had full Applecare, which we had thought he didn't because it didn't show up entering his serial number online. He found someone interested who's coming in less than an hour to quite possibly buy the iBook. A half hour ago, I realized that we did have the extended plan lying around, but it had not been enrolled after being bought along with the iBook. It's unfair to spring this on him now and ask him for more, so we were resigned to giving it away to him. Then I realized that now, the iBook and Macbook plans are the same. My brother is getting a Macbook now. My question is this:

Can we enroll the plan that was originally bought for the iBook for the Macbook? Or is it too old?

Thanks for the help!

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
If it's been more than 12 months since the purchase of the iBook, you can not enroll it in AppleCare.

Spaceman Spiff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2003
Oh, the iBook's fine. It's only 11 months old (and a day). My concern here is if the Applecare is only valid for that iBook, and if not, than is it valid for a new Macbook? The Applecare was purchased 11 months ago as well, it's just not enrolled. Has it already been counting?

reh

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2003
Arkansas
As long as it's an AppleCare box for an iBook, you're good to go. It's not specific to that machine until you register it.

Edit: I'm not sure if you could use it on a MacBook.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
definitely call Apple and ask.....since it wasnt ever registered then I suspect there's a good chance you can use it for the macbook.

There have been threads from people here asking a similar question because they bought applecare for their macbook and upon examination of the applecare box find that it has the product ID number for applecare for an ibook.....IIRC, what people are saying is that they've been told it's usable for the macbook......so definitely worth a call to Apple to ask

Spaceman Spiff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 9, 2003
Alright, thanks for the help. I'll put a call into Apple.

Mind you, I've never been able to figure out the right phone number to call with. There's an Apple Store line, which is for ordering and assistance with operating hardware you already have. There's an Applecare line, which concerns stuff you have Applecare for. Where's the plain old question or tech support line?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.