Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SCMedic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 8, 2008
Applecare warrantied an issue with my phone, but told me not to restore from backup because it may have been a software bug. I know, makes no sense, but whatever...

How do I re-pair my watch without losing a years worth of fitness data?

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I don't think there's a way to extract the AW backup from within the iPhone backup so simply restore as a new AW and pair it to the new backup.

However, were they merely guessing that it might be the corrupted backup that's the culprit? If it was just a guess, I'd restore from the backup anyway and see if it occurs again. You should have a 90-day extension of the existing warranty if applicable and can replace it again if the backup is indeed the culprit.

Last edited:

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Good reason to use iCloud daily and a supplemental (encrypted) iTunes' backup a couple of times a week.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Good reason to use iCloud daily and a supplemental (encrypted) iTunes' backup a couple of times a week.

This doesn't really address the issue of the OP's losing fitness/health data as a result of having to do a clean install due to a possible corrupted backup. Once you can no longer use an existing iPhone backup, the AW backup goes with it. That's why I suggested restoring from the backup anyway to see if it's actually the culprit.

If it's corrupted to begin with, both iCloud and iTunes versions are most likely corrupted especially if you find out after the fact.

Reactions: ericwn

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Corrupted backups are rare though. My wife and I actually have backups going all the way back to original iPhone. It's more of a problem for the anal-retentive types who insist on doing clean installs just because.

They are not that rare as I have friends who had bad back ups and I also had a back up that was corrupted. I have always used back-ups to restore my devices but I have had to use a back up previous to my latest due to it being corrupted.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
They are not that rare as I have friends who had bad back ups and I also had a back up that was corrupted. I have always used back-ups to restore my devices but I have had to use a back up previous to my latest due to it being corrupted.

Just because you and your friends have had corrupted backups and my wife and I have never had them are meaningless as they're merely anecdotal. If corrupted backups were common, we'd be hearing a lot more about them right here on MR. The later is a truer indication of how common or rare a particular problem is.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Just because you and your friends have had corrupted backups and my wife and I have never had them are meaningless as they're merely anecdotal. If corrupted backups were common, we'd be hearing a lot more about them right here on MR. The later is a truer indication of how common or rare a particular problem is.

Just because you and yours have never . . . . .

You just seem to want to argue. I have read about them here, I did NOT say they were common but for the argument you are trying to change what I said. I suspect you lack friends.:p

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I have read about them here, I did NOT say they were common but for the argument you are trying to change what I said.

If you were to do poll here on MR "Have you ever had a corrupted backup?," the poll results will most likely indicate that it's a rare occurrence. MR tends to attract any mention of problems regardless of how rare or common they are so "having read about them" is meaningless without context. Likewise, more common problems such as the crescent moon camera issue on the iPhone 6/6+ were reported here left and right.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
If you were to do poll here on MR "Have you ever had a corrupted backup?," the poll results will most likely indicate that it's a rare occurrence. MR tends to attract any mention of problems regardless of how rare or common they are so "having read about them" is meaningless without context. Likewise, more common problems such as the crescent moon camera issue on the iPhone 6/6+ were reported here left and right.

That would mean your comments are as meaningless as mine. Have a great day Jay, go hit the boardwalk, you might get "lucky"!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.