Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weeag

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 27, 2005
I'm looking at picking up a mac at Best Buy because they have better financing (1-yr no interest vs. 90-day) but I also want an AppleCare policy which Best Buy doesn't sell. Anyone know if you can pick one up seperate from Apple to apply to the new mac from Best Buy?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
You can purchase it from Apple anytime no matter where you purchased the computer from. Just make sure you activate it before your 1 year warranty is up. Just because you have it doesn't mean it's activated.

L

Lau

weeag said:
I'm looking at picking up a mac at Best Buy because they have better financing (1-yr no interest vs. 90-day) but I also want an AppleCare policy which Best Buy doesn't sell. Anyone know if you can pick one up seperate from Apple to apply to the new mac from Best Buy?

Yes, you can. You can buy it direct from Apple (online or in a store) or at various computer retailers, Amazon, and similar. You can even find it on eBay....

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Indeed it can. It's been almost a year and I bought AppleCare for my PowerBook today in Floriduh, for Floriduh! :) Yay!

Thank you, Apple. I'll never have to complain about AppleCare again.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Suggest you check out eBay for applecare, i picked up applecare for my iMac for nearly half price...

SHadoW

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
shadowmoses said:
Suggest you check out eBay for applecare, i picked up applecare for my iMac for nearly half price...

SHadoW

I did a similar thing for my powermac, I bought mine from Apple main 'authorised' repair center in Ireland for alot less than I could from Apple. It's worth shopping around :)

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I ordered Applecare for my Powerbook today, and it shipped today too. :)

I notice tax appears, when you checkout, which always bothered me, for a warranty tax seemed stupid. However, when the final order shipment email came the tax had been removed. :)

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005
:eek: Interesting question - how long does Applecare last for? 3 years? And is this from purchase date of the mac, or from when activated? So say if I were to activate it at the near end of my standard one year, would I be on nearly 4 years?

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
LastLine said:
:eek: Interesting question - how long does Applecare last for? 3 years? And is this from purchase date of the mac, or from when activated? So say if I were to activate it at the near end of my standard one year, would I be on nearly 4 years?

AppleCare basically extends the manufacturers warranty (1 year) for another 2 years (for a total of 3 years) and gives you free phone support from date of purchase.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
skubish said:
One question I had is:
What do you do when you get the Applecare box? Is there a disc you need to register you computer?

Thanks
It will tell you. You just have to go to a webpage and enter your serial number and the applecare number.

Avarus

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2006
You can also call up tech support and buy it through them, it'll get registered immediately to your computer and you have an apple care box thingy sent to your house.

misam

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
Near Seattle
Start date

I ordered a MacBook Pro with applecare. Does the applecare start from the day I purchased the computer or the day a initially register the computer? It would really suck if this month of waiting for the computer is also using the applecare time!

Thanks, Sam

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
It's usually from the day you purchase the computer. Because of a long time from order to shipping, I believe Apple will start it on the day they ship the computer.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
In my opinion I would NOT go for the BBY financing options because their credit card simply sucks...

Instead I would rather apply for American Express and get 6 months no interest financing, AND get 1 year additional warranty. If you buy Applecare which makes your AppleCare warranty to 3 years, with the AMEX, you will get a total of 4 years of warranty. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.