Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cornfedgrowth

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 17, 2004
so i'm considering buying a new powerbook soon. What are everyones thought of buying the Applecare protection plan. I've always been skeptical of extended warranties... any help would be appreciated!
-alex

stoid

macrumors 601
Since you are spending so much on a classy laptop, it's always nice to have the peace of mind in case something breaks after the first year. You also might want to check out SafeWare for insurance against accidental damage, theft, and natural disaster as AppleCare does not cover that.

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
cornfedgrowth said:
so i'm considering buying a new powerbook soon. What are everyones thought of buying the Applecare protection plan. I've always been skeptical of extended warranties... any help would be appreciated!
-alex

The best part about AppleCare is - you don't have to buy it at the outset. I've had my Powerbook for 354 days now and have been covered under the 1-year standard plan that comes with. I am going to buy Apple care (very soon) to extend my plan 2 years. Most companies make you buy it at the outset.

kbonnel

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2004
In a nice place..
I agree with you, if you are going to get AppleCare, do it after you purchase the machine. If you require phone help, do it after 90 days. If you don't care about the phone help, then do it before your 1 year runs out. You should get the benefit of those couple hundred dollars for the first year, not Apple. As always, money now is worth more, than money later.

k

carletonmusic said:
The best part about AppleCare is - you don't have to buy it at the outset. I've had my Powerbook for 354 days now and have been covered under the 1-year standard plan that comes with. I am going to buy Apple care (very soon) to extend my plan 2 years. Most companies make you buy it at the outset.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
AppleCare is easily worth the price, although I agree you should wait till the year is almost up. It's pretty cheap peace of mind, and odds are you won't lose much money - the laptop is likely to need at least one repair in three years. I don't ever buy extended warranties - except for these.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.