Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDr0id

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
No new thunderbolt display :( Oh well, I'm sure Kuo can't know everything so I'll keep my fingers crossed...and I was really hoping Apple TV would be refreshed sooner.

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto
No new thunderbolt display :( Oh well, I'm sure Kuo can't know everything so I'll keep my fingers crossed...and I was really hoping Apple TV would be refreshed sooner.

I'd love to see a new thunderbolt display and I'm at the point where I think that they must be pretty oblivious to the rest of the world if they won't update it very soon.

Mr USneun

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Well, if the "low cost" iMac is going to follow the iPhone pattern, it means it will be 100 $ cheaper than the next one and will lack many features, to make everybody want to buy the next model. :eek:

Unfortunately, everything on the "normal cost" model will have to be added as extra paid options (RAM, drive, keyboard, screen …) :(

As a result, you'll start by considering a "low-cost" iMac for just under $ 1.000 but you'll end up spending twice as much for the iMac you really need… If you can still afford it. :confused:

=> "Low cost" for Tim and Co means more expensive for us.

If you can't afford an iMac, don't consider buying one. It will never get cheaper.

BobbyCat

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Beyond
If you can't afford an iMac, don't consider buying one. It will never get cheaper.

You're obviously new to this game. The price for an entry model iMac has always evolved round $ 1.000-1.200 - sometimes even as low as $ 700 -, but maybe you weren't born back then?

Since 2012 the entry model has however increased, now at $ 1.299 and with significant restrictions inciting to buy at least the next model for $ 1.499 or even the one at $ 1.799.

If you don't understand why some people are upset about the evolution, no need to argue, read previous comments about it instead.

Last edited:

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
The retina display was added to the iPad mini late last year. You want that "much improved"? :confused:

Color gamut is terrible. Comparing an iPad Air side by side with an iPad mini makes it so clear. The colors are visibly DIFFERENT. pale.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Color gamut is terrible. Comparing an iPad Air side by side with an iPad mini makes it so clear. The colors are visibly DIFFERENT. pale.

It's not that bad. I have the 128GB Retina Mini and take it with me everywhere. The display is pretty darned amazing on it.

I also have an Airbthat I use just at home. Side by side looking at the same picture on both, the colors are better on the Air but they are far from terrible.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
It's not that bad. I have the 128GB Retina Mini and take it with me everywhere. The display is pretty darned amazing on it.

I also have an Airbthat I use just at home. Side by side looking at the same picture on both, the colors are better on the Air but they are far from terrible.

See comparison attachment below... Can you guess which is the air and which is the mini? (and don't watch this on a mini, it misses the whole point! ;))

As someone who takes a ton of pictures with a DSLR, it's a compromise I just cannot make.

if you want to do the same comparison with your own Air and Mini, just use this link on both devices: Link to purple pattern

Attachments

• IMG_2670.JPG
    IMG_2670.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 145
Last edited:

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
No issues with mine. Very happy with it.

most people probably wont notice, or care to be honest.

Nothing wrong with that. the iPad Mini doesn't stop working cause the colours are off or oversaturated.

doesn't mean that Apple didn't quite live up to their reputation for making "premium" products with little issues.

An unfortunate situation that has been cropping up more and more lately

dagamer34

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2007
Houston, TX
Uh - does that means that we will see letter boxing of Iphone 5 apps?

I don't see a way around it unless Apple tips his hand at WWDC and let the developers know of the 3rd resolution they will have to support (4/4s/5/5s and now 6)

If anything you'll see Apple dropping MAJOR hints about Auto Layout. That's about it (but that's really all a smart developer needs).

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
Time for an iWatch... Maybe, Mac mini can wait a few months longer...

Others are selling wearable computers including Google and Samsung. Apple might do quite well with an iWatch if they market it correctly and if they avoid making the kind of clunky crap that Samsung (Gear) and Google (Glass) are showing right now. Gear and Glass are not exactly a hard targets to beat: Dick Tracy watches and Borg eyepieces. But if Apple waits much longer, there is the risk that these guys might figure out how to do enough things right that Apple finds themselves entering a crowded rather than a relatively empty playing field.

For Apple to make the margins they are accustomed to without subsidies, the iWatch is probably going to come in over $500. I saw some complaints in this thread about the $1000 model but that's the top of the line not the entry level version.

As for waiting a few extra months for a new Mac mini, I don't see the problem as long as Apple updates it some time in early 2015. Perhaps its appeal as a low cost entry is working well enough they feel they don't need to update it right now.

As for Apple engineers being spread too thin, I say great. It's better than having them all sitting on their thumbs or having inter-divisional wars like other tech companies such as Microsoft are known to do.

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2014
I'm having a hard time with the $1,000. That just seems unrealistic.
An iPhone is what, like $1500 or so...?

hanser

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2013
It is interesting to revive this thread and look again at those predictions. I am surprised how much details of the product released up to now he got right, including the resolution of both new iPhones. The timing predictions are rather off, though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.