Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I dunno about the rest of you, but I'm starting to get some anticipation fatigue. My gut reactions when facing iWatch news these days is, "sure, whatever." I've gotten so I don't really care when or IF they release the silly thing. :( Maybe that's the problem with frequenting too many rumor sites.

o0smoothies0o22

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
I agree!!

Of course the world is excited to see what an iWatch can do; however, we all know that Home Automation is next big thing to come from commercial.

In regards to the "best product pipeline over the last 25 years" quote, i really hope that Eddie isn't just referencing larger iphones and thinnger ipads...
Absolutely not. Health tracking through biosensors will be the next big thing, home automation will get there, though there's nothing bringing masses into it yet.

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
while i too think home kit is a great area to get into. it will mostly be if you are building a new house. it's pretty hard and expensive to retrofit a lot of home control things. the light switches are very expensive just to name one item if you wanted to control things in your home remotely. i have a nest thermostat. is was $200+.

i am hoping the watch is more high tech than fashionable. i like the mockup used in this article. although i'd prefer a closure that was more reliable. like a buckle or a metal watch band that slips over the wrist and snaps closed. i had an up band and it someone must have scraped something that made it slide off my wrist. didn't notice until i was a far distance from where i may have lost it. bye bye $160?!!

o0smoothies0o22

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
iPhone & iPad tech and their reiterations. Camera tech, liquid metal tech, display tech, and a bunch of products that won't see the light of day. Something tells me alot of it is re-working their software (ie Photos) such as iWork that was rewritten from the ground up to have the same code base on iOS and OS X and iCloud OS (this will be Apple's 3rd OS).

It's very un-Apple to have that many products to be released. They are very careful what they pick to launch. I have my doubts about iTime/iWatch. Doesn't seem like a mass market product and definitely a niche product.

iWatch is a mass market product, so far from niche it's sad. It will literally be everywhere, and literally change the world if it has numerous, accurate biosensors (especially non-invasive glucose).

Oflife

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
Home automation...

...requires the other half of the equation to sort itself out. IE, the switches that integrate with your 10 to 30 years old white goods, lamps, lights, audiovisual gear, garage door, alarm system etc. X10 was supposed to do that, as was Zigbee, but the Belkin Zigbee thing I bought for my mum was useless, the Android app didn't work and it was not very imaginatively executed anyway. So I took it back.

Apple may make some lovely controller software and ecosystem, but if they leave the other half to the market, we're going to have the same problem as the audio docks, which are overpriced insult to the concept of High Fidelity. (I refuse to buy one, preferring to go for an amp and speakers that cost no more than a mid range dock and sound OODLEs better and of course, don't mean you have to leave your phone stuck in a dock, simply use the latest high quality Bluetooth standard to stream to an amp, and of course, you can plugin other audio visual items to an amp, such as Tivo, high end CD/DVD player etc.)

Apple should make their own switches. I'm not relying on Chinese tat to connect mains appliances. Unless the Chinese tat is made by one of the contemporary companies who are currently making some nice Android handsets.

I agree!!

Of course the world is excited to see what an iWatch can do; however, we all know that Home Automation is next big thing to come from commercial.

In regards to the "best product pipeline over the last 25 years" quote, i really hope that Eddie isn't just referencing larger iphones and thinnger ipads...

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Y'all keep fixating on HealthKit being the big tie-in to the rumored iWatch, but I maintain the bigger selling point in the long run will likely be HomeKit integration, allowing you ready and easy control for your connected house at all times, even if you aren't at your computer or already holding your phone/tablet.
How many people will benefit from the connected home vs. the health kit?

o0smoothies0o22

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
More stuff in the pipeline, huh? You don't say? So push it out there.
Turns out they take their time to get it right, and make it useful. Galaxy gear and android wear are abysmally awful, and don't change anything. Yay I can order a pizza on my watch, or I could just take out my phone and order it ten times faster, more accurately, and not look like a complete moron. The real kicker is that in order to order a pizza with your watch, your phone absolutely has to be in range, feeding you connectivity. It was one of the most embarrassing and stupid things I've ever seen, and it was shown by google.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I suppose so...we shall see.

nothing so far this year has been knocking socks off anyone. Touting the best stuff to come in 25 years early in the year for the long wait.

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
just to give you an idea about why home automation is not a big sales area. a regular to designer light switch will cost you from $2.00 to $10.00 dollars. a wifi light with will cost you $35 to $60. so until the cost of things like that go down it's not a giant market. that's one of the cheaper items. a wifi controlled door lock is $200+ right now.

maybe in 10 years or when the economy get a whole lot better, but right now i know i'm not buying a $40 dollar light switch so i can turn it off with my phone!!!

kdarling

macrumors P6
Y'all keep fixating on HealthKit being the big tie-in to the rumored iWatch, but I maintain the bigger selling point in the long run will likely be HomeKit integration, allowing you ready and easy control for your connected house at all times, even if you aren't at your computer or already holding your phone/tablet.

Yep could be integration with Health, Home, iPhone and Apple TV.

Ah heck, we're all wishing. Like everyone else, I'm hoping their pipeline has something more than just bigger phones.

I keep noticing their patents on extruded cases made of anything from ceramic to sapphire. Extruded is very much a design type that Ive has seemed to favor, even with early iPhone mockups. Can be made waterproof, too.

I wonder if they also might do something shaped like a Tricorder medical scanner that communicates with an iDevice. Something totally unexpected, but with its origins in older sci-fi, just like Padds and touch, etc.

Devil10

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2013
Absolutely not. Health tracking through biosensors will be the next big thing, home automation will get there, though there's nothing bringing masses into it yet.

I think people are missing the point that the over 60 population cares very much about health issues, has high disposable income, and is backed up by insurance companies.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007

Like the old Tom Swift books where all of Swift's family and close friends had special watches that told the security system they were friends so the alarm didn't fire. With HomeKit, it can unlock the doors, turn on the lights, open your garage door, and start your coffee pot!

Jungo

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2007
pay off WHEN?

They should have had the watch and the larger iphone and a new mac mini etc a freekin' year ago

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
iWatch is a mass market product, so far from niche it's sad. It will literally be everywhere, and literally change the world if it has numerous, accurate biosensors (especially non-invasive glucose).

Reality distortion field is over you.

jaison13

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2003
pittsburgh
unless apple starts making under $20 light switches, cheaper security cameras, cheaper door locks, cheaper fan controls, cheaper everything that can be used for home automation. it is going to be a niche industry for the well off. which in this country isn't a giant number.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
unless apple starts making under $20 light switches, cheaper security cameras, cheaper door locks, cheaper fan controls, cheaper everything that can be used for home automation. it is going to be a niche industry for the well off. which in this country isn't a giant number.
most of those items need to be installed by a qualified electrician that equals more money.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Stuff in the pipeline eh?

I think they need some exlax, they've been constipated for a while now

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
Look it up sir.

I've read the same articles about the same rumors, hirings, and patent applications. It's all supposition right now. Yet you seem really, really comfortable touting everything as a declarative fact. You don't even bother with "in my opinion" or "I believe/think" or a simple "what if".

There's nothing wrong with being bullish on Apple. A lot of people are, and with good reason. Bud, you can continue to post in the style that you do. It's your prerogative. And let's be honest, I'm not your boss, parents, or priest. I just think your message could be better received if you didn't yell it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.