Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Another believer that flyovers are useless eye candy and a waste of computing power and data download. Why not add a subterranean view, for Pete's sake?

Why would Pete want that? Is he a mole?

For cities that have subterranean malls and passageways, this would be a great feature!

I'm sure some folks will resent it, though. They only want the maps to cater to their needs, not anyone else's.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
Tim Cook apologized too much too early, Apple Maps is a work in progress to the right direction.
Location on wifi is excellent, caching is excellent, vector graphics is the future. It would be no surprise if Google release a vector version of Google Maps in a few months.

Renzatic

Suspended
It would be no surprise if Google release a vector version of Google Maps in a few months.

Yeah! Those copycats! Apple innovates, everyone else imitates!

...cept that Google was showing off vector maps back in 2010. Hell, vectors in general aren't exactly new things. Windows has used vector art for their icons since Vista came out back in...what...2007? They're hardly the future. They've been around for quite awhile.

genovelle

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
But I expect the best from Apple. Not subpar products that are 8 years behind other competitors. You can't release crappy products and expect people to just wait for them to work.

Are you really serious. Were you this upset when the iPhone came out with the first Maps that set the tone. It was Apple's graphic layout that Google now copies on their Android phones. The Google Map App was being used by Google to limit our features, while benefiting from our data to improve their platform. This had to end and it has. Now in the same way our data will be used to improve the platform. I have been sent many of wrong places by Google's App. You just don't say anything because its free. Well this is free too. And if you don't like it use another app. Such a simple solution.

Renzatic

Suspended
Are you really serious. Were you this upset when the iPhone came out with the first Maps that set the tone. It was Apple's graphic layout that Google now copies on their Android phones.

Google copied Apple's grid of icons? Hate to tell you this, but the grid of icons has been a standard feature on every PDA and smartphone since the dawn of time. Everything else about Android is rather different in comparison. Superficially similar being about as close as they come.

The Google Map App was being used by Google to limit our features, while benefiting from our data to improve their platform. This had to end and it has. Now in the same way our data will be used to improve the platform.

I don't think Google was doing anything of the sort. They had terms they wanted Apple to agree to before allowing access to the higher end features of Maps, and Apple didn't agree to them. It's a simple issue of two big companies not seeing eye to eye. No one was a bad guy here (even though we customers got screwed over by it).

Course one little irony I see around here that I find absolutely hilarious is how the same people who claim Google was being unfair by not just giving Apple turn by turn, or by expecting their brand name on their own map app are the same people who think it's totally justified that Samsung now owes Apple a billion dollars for pinch to zoom and a bounce animation.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
Tim Cook apologized too much too early, Apple Maps is a work in progress to the right direction.
Location on wifi is excellent, caching is excellent, vector graphics is the future. It would be no surprise if Google release a vector version of Google Maps in a few months.

I disagree. Maps is horrible in many places. just today i used it to drive a known route from Utah to Arizona. If I had followed the directions given by the (otherwise beautiful and smooth) app it would have been a disaster.

What I find interesting is that the app still has substantial location bugs even in the USA. I can understand why Every location I needed to find in Japan is off by about 900 meters (apparently a conversion error) but
when I find my location while I am at home in the USA,, it correctly identifies the precise street address- but when I plug the same address into the search bar, it presents me with a location almost a mile away.

Bizarre. And as it stands right now, not useful.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I'm still seeing flat statue of Liberty and flat Honolulu. I submitted some changes a day or so after they encouraged people to do so and have yet to see any of them put into the app. I like that Apple is using user input to fix things, but I feel they should have split teams for fixing different things, such as street names, business locations, and updated images. It seems like they might be more concerned with the actual look of things like 3D images than the things that actually help the maps app function, like street name corrections.

Nomadski

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2008
Ma'am would like Apple to continue their efforts.

bucksi.png

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Random app has an update.
That's cool and all, hundreds of apps get updates each day.

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
It should have been released like this in the first place. Apple either shouldn't have rushed it to market or slapped the beta label on it.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Apple who cares about flyover!!

It's absolutely useless

If you think Apple is only working on 3D you're crazy. Apple is a gigantic company and they are obviously updating everything all the time. My Law School used to not be listed and now it is and shows up on the map only a week after submitting a report.

You are complaining about something just because 3D is noticeable. You can post a news story about the Statue of Liberty being in 3D and it's news, but the fact they corrected the location of the local coffee shop isn't something readily apparent. I am 100% confident they are capable of doing more than one thing at a time. It is obviously increasing in quality very quickly.

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
I just moved to Raleigh, NC. I need driving directions everywhere I go because I have no idea where it is that I'm going in the first place. So far I haven't gotten lost once using Apple's maps and iOS 6. Am I doing something wrong?

Is the map data wrong everywhere? No.
Does it suck when it is? Yes.
The problem is is that we act like it's wrong everywhere when it's not. It's not perfect, and I'm not defending Apple for what it's done wrong, but the sky isn't falling.

etrinh

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Why is that an unreasonable expectation?

We all paid Apple money for an iPhone. It had Google Maps which, for the most part, worked well. Apple took them away from us and promised that our user experience would only be better.

I don't care about the reasons or excuses, I simply want my phone to work as well as it did before Apple changed things.

To be fair, you could've returned the device if it didn't perform to your liking. I would say its unreasonable for the consumer to expect a business to care. You need to vote with your money. By law there is a return period in most countries and testing out said device would've given you enough time to return the product if it was unsatisfactory to you. Now, if you updated your iOS from 5>6 that is another matter. Apple doesn't owe you anything at that point because you didn't pay and Apple didnt charge for said update. It just make the Apple experience sour for some people. And some are willing to overlook it. Myself, I still have ios5 on my iPhone and will not be updating until I feel ios6 is satisfactory to me in its entirety.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
meh

I'm not excited by 3d renders. I want to see the most current satellite footage and be able to move it around. I know it'll get better, but on the way we're just going to keep hearing about how bad it is. Doesn't help that the images look like a video game rather than the real thing. Wish everybody could get along.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
You already admitted you screwed up. You already suggested that we go to your competitors.

Now tell Google you're sorry and give us back maps that don't blow.

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I submitted several corrections the first day iOS 6 was available...and they were all corrected today...I'm pretty impressed...considering the breadth of responses in just this thread, the improvements are all over the world...and in everything from flyover to the vector maps.

I've been a google fan for a long time, but some of you are so over the top at how this has affected you, it is beyond amazing. It reminds me of all the entitled people I run into when involved in construction projects...Nothing is ever good enough...don't bother me...don't impact me...and by god, you better give me everything that guy over there got!

Apple is on the right path...and as difficult as it might be for most of you to admit it, few of us have the brain power to pilot a company of this size and scope...and to see what they have accomplished in the past 10+ years has been a joy to watch.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If only Apple had an entire year left in which they could use Google map tiles while developing their own solution... :rolleyes:

A 'fact' that has yet to be proven. The main source of this detail in most cases was the article on The Verge which said no such thing.

----------

This is just bells and whistles, Apple needs to fix the incorrect locations and missing POIs first.

It's very possible, even likely, that they have more than one team within the Maps team

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
get public transportation down first and worry about the 3d flyover later. that **** doesn't matter. public trans is crucial.

Trouble is that any such data has the risk of being out of date. That was a major issue with Google Maps as well. At least here in LA. Even up to the release of iOS 6 there were bus and train lines that had been around for a couple of years, or changed in that time, that Google still had wrong.

Getting information direct from the source is the better way to go

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
For cities that have subterranean malls and passageways, this would be a great feature!

I'm sure some folks will resent it, though. They only want the maps to cater to their needs, not anyone else's.

lol, you're an airplane pilot requiring flyover view?

Whoa, didn't know that flyover was a long-requested and much anticipated feature.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
This is just bells and whistles, Apple needs to fix the incorrect locations and missing POIs first.

Agreed. Apple Maps' POI database seems to have a hard time with cities divided into quadrants like Washington, DC or Atlanta.

Just tonight, I drove about 4 miles in the wrong direction because Apple Maps' POI database had my destination address all correct EXCEPT the quadrant should've been NW but the app had it listed as SE. Big difference. Fell back to MotionX which quickly got me where I needed to go.

It's a shame, really. I am quickly losing trust in the app that should be the single best navigation app on my iPhone 5. I love the Siri integration; but that's not worth anything if the data is bad. This is now the third time in 10 days Apple Maps has led me incorrectly in a major metro area. And yes, I did report the problem and move the pin where it should've been.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.