Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
It's not surprising considering any device capable of upgrading to ios7 has been warned of a major security flaw for not upgrading.

that is the only reason i updated my ipad 3. But in saying that im glad i did because it didn't make it much slower after all (my worries in updating as apple has screwed me in the past with their updates) in fact i would even say that it's faster now :)

----------

Not at all surprised here. Basically everyone who isn't purposely staying on 6.x has made the jump, and for good reason.

As far as the android comparisons, I'm not sure I understand them. There are still handsets launching on versions as old as jellybean. These are the budget versions that retail for $25-100 per handset. The goal with those devices isn't to be up to date. It's to get an extremely affordable handset to the masses that need it. It's a completely different marketing structure than what Apple has.

I like android but their updates are awful. I have a note 2 which is great and was by no means a budget phone when launched but unless i root and load custom os on kitkat is not available for me yet

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
My good'ol iPad 1 is part of that 3% :D

So is mine. And damn, is it a slow device these days (one of the final iOS 6 updates brought it to its knees).

Luckily ours has gotten a second life as a nice little web-TV in one of our bathrooms — running almost exclusively the web-TV app from our cable provider.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
I never had a problem with iOS 7 performance or battery life.

But I am getting increasingly annoyed at the overall "flatness" of the UI.

One of my apps got "updated" to iOS 7 today and in the release notes they say "NEW! New Icon for iOS 7.x"

I always loved how things looked in previous versions of iOS. The detail in the icons... the craftsmanship... etc.

This just seems lazy now.

sbSMRKp.png

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
Ios 7.1 changed how some app features work such as the progress bar. When using it it used to fast decrease / increase to next interval now it just goes right to the next interval. Sucks because I liked how it acted before but just a minor gripe I guess.

Back on topic it's nice to see the adoption rates.

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
I am still running iOS 6.x on both of my iDevices and have no plans to upgrade in the foreseeable future. One reason for this is because Apple wants 4.1 GB to upgrade and on a 16GB iPhone 5 this is an issue for me. Another is because apparently iOS 7.x is slower on iPad 3 / iPhone 5 than iOS 6.x is, so if I don't like the interface and it's slower, why should I upgrade?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
iOS 7 does not work on iPhones 3GS and earlier or on the original iPad. So one can assume that makes up a large percentage of the 15 percent not on iOS 7. I had a coworker who was refusing to upgrade because she heard that iOS 7 was "ugly" and it took me some time to convince her to upgrade. I also know a few folks that can't be bothered to clean their phones up to make the space available for the install. I also assume that there are those that won't upgrade because they have jail broken phones. It would be interesting to see a breakout of the 15 percent along these lines - those who can't and those who won't.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I've said it once and I'll say it again: people with old iOS versions don't tend to use the App Store.

Yes, it's a sloppy headline, again, like the last time there was a story like this.

85% of devices accessing the app store running iOS 7 suggests that 85% of devices accessing the app store are running iOS 7, not that there is an 85% adoption rate of iOS 7 amongst all iOS devices, which is what the headline implies. It seems reasonable to assume that the 85% figure is higher than the actual figure, as users on older iOS versions will visit the app store less often, partly because of a lower amount of new software they can run.

Last edited:

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
then there's poor old KitKat.

Difference being Apple only make a few models of phones so hardly a comparison. Keep trying though....

----------

I like android but their updates are awful. I have a note 2 which is great and was by no means a budget phone when launched but unless i root and load custom os on kitkat is not available for me yet

Android is an OS, not a brand so be specific. Nexus devices gives you the same experience as Apple with updates as it's a specific known device that they can push out updates.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I don't see the continued fascination with this. In the Android world nobody cares what version of the OS they're on because most people only upgrade when they get a new phone just like most Windows users only upgrade when they buy a new computer. These stats are meaningless.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
That chart doesn't scream "botched" to me, I don't know where you are getting that from. For 3 out of the 7 devices, the battery life is the same or even better, and even the worst one is only off 9%, which is probably still far longer than your average non-Apple tablet in terms of size/weight vs. battery life. On average the 7.1 vs. 7.0 battery life only looks a few % difference either way, that's hardly a disaster.

----------

How are you coming to the conclusion that the SSL security flaw is responsible for iOS's high adoption rate? As noted in the article, iOS7 adoption was already 80% in late January, which was before the security flaw surfaced.

Whoops, didn't see that! So good point, but I be a fair few people who were holding out were forced to upgrade. I upgraded 3 devices that were on iOS6, and encouraged others to do the same once the SSL flaw was made public.

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
I never said this story was a rumor, I was just saying that the stories posted here aren't "Ideas". Macrumors can't just make up news.
LOL. The majority of their stories are 100% made-up by self-styled 'analysts' working without a shred of actual intel.

Joesmith13245

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2012
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

iOS 7 is now on 85% of devices connected to the App Store, according to new numbers posted on Apple's App Store developer support page. The numbers come five months after the operating system's original release, and just two weeks after the release iOS 7.1, which was the first major update to iOS 7 with added visual tweaks, CarPlay support, and Touch ID enhancements.

The increasing adoption rate of iOS 7 has also led to a drop in iOS 6 usage, with the older operating system now installed on just 12 percent of devices. Three percent of devices also continue to use even older versions of iOS. In early December, iOS 7 usage was at 74 percent, jumping to 78 percent later in December and then to 80 percent in late January.

Apple's data, which comes directly from the App Store, represents the most definite iOS 7 adoption information for developers.

Article Link: Apple's App Store Usage Numbers Suggest 85% Adoption Rate for iOS 7

And why is this so important? Seems like Android is doing just fine with a fragmented OS deployment

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
That MacRumors is so out of ideas they are publishing the weekly usage updates from the developer portal.

On the bright side, iOS 7 continues to be a hit with users- Apple's most. Popular OS ever made. Its success continues to define the critics, most of whom have never created anything in their lives.

You mean this great wonderful iOS that is forced upon people. That cannot be removed?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
If only apple didn't botch iOS 7.1 by snubbing battery life.

Staying on iOS 7.0.6 for the foreseeable future.

Still much better adoption rates than Android will ever see.

I have also experienced terrible battery life with 7.1 and discovered that I had two possible culprits: Yahoo! Weather (using location services for extended periods of time) and Dropbox (background processes). I disabled both and the battery problem went away.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Difference being Apple only make a few models of phones so hardly a comparison. Keep trying though....

Nobody is forcing an Android OEM to make 15 or 20 different phones every year. That's their choice.

What that does, though, is make it very difficult for them to keep up and provide updates for all those older phones.

Question... if you're an Android OEM who's barely making any money from the sale of a particular phone... will you spend MORE time 6 months or a year later making the next version of Android available for that now "old" phone?

Answer... no

Which is precisely why most Android phones don't receive updates. And that is why those Android version charts look the way they do.

I don't think the current version of Android will ever have more than a single digit percentage at any given time.

The OEMs are too busy trying to sell new phones instead of spending time updating older existing phones to the current version of Android.

There are a billion Android devices out in the world right now. If there was an Android 4.4 Kit Kat update available for each and every one... I'm sure Kit Kat would have more than 2.5% after almost 5 months...

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
If only apple didn't botch iOS 7.1 by snubbing battery life.

Staying on iOS 7.0.6 for the foreseeable future.

Still much better adoption rates than Android will ever see.

Battery life with 7.1 is much better for me than it was with 7.0.x on my 5. I would definitely upgrade if your having battery life issues with 7.0. For anyone still using a 4 or 4s this is a must have upgrade because performance improvements are huge and so is battery life.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I am still running iOS 6.x on both of my iDevices and have no plans to upgrade in the foreseeable future. One reason for this is because Apple wants 4.1 GB to upgrade and on a 16GB iPhone 5 this is an issue for me. Another is because apparently iOS 7.x is slower on iPad 3 / iPhone 5 than iOS 6.x is, so if I don't like the interface and it's slower, why should I upgrade?
The needed space is just for the upgrade, you get it back once you upgraded. If you upgrade through iTunes you don't even need that much space either.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
My iPhone 5 was a day one iOS 7 upgrade, but my ipad 2 remains and shall remain on iOS 6. The performance hit isn't worth it to me on an A5 device, especially because a lot of new features (like control center and the new app switcher) aren't as big a deal to me on an ipad. I also like the old look. :)

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
The needed space is just for the upgrade, you get it back once you upgraded. If you upgrade through iTunes you don't even need that much space either.
I realise that, but it's a fair bit of hassle to remove stuff to free up space, upgrade and then put stuff back. Apple should engineer a modular installation method where an installer is broken down into components which are temporarily downloaded, installed and then removed for minimal required use of space. Or stop offering lower capacity devices, which are more likely to have that issue. The latter comes with a benefit of people buying more expensive products with higher profit margins.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.