Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iJandro

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Queens truly has come a long way, hasn't it? XD
1372434481_queenii.gif

tonythejetsfan

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2007
Very happy to finally see this day! A lot of the locals here were surprised to not see an Apple Store when mall renovated around 10 years ago but its been a long time coming!

I will still probably drive into the 5th ave store at 2 AM for genius bar appts (best time to park in manhattan) ultimately but its nice to have one more choice! :)

During the day parking at the QC mall is only a few bucks vs mondo money for most stores in the city (even with icon discounts). One exception, around midday I can usually find metered parking on bway just north of the Lincoln Center store.

tonythejetsfan

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2007
If I still lived in Jamaica, this would have been a godsend. But now I live in LIC. Soon, Grand Central and 5th Ave. stores are the easiest for me to get to. But, it's nice that Queens is getting some love anyway! We beat Brooklyn! Woohoo!

I think one of the trains you can get at Hunters Point Ave stops right outside the mall on Queens Blvd.

tonythejetsfan

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2007
Hahaha I knew someone would say this. That's only because Brooklyn is actually getting a new store (20,000 SQFT btw) and Queens just have a mall location ;)

They renovated and expanded the Queens Center mall about 6 or 7 years ago I think. I remember reading prior to the expansion that the gross sales in that mall per square foot was more than any other mall in the country. Back in those days it was shoulder to shoulder most weekends and scary crowded at Christmas.

currocj

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Earth
Please leave this off the front page and just have a section called Store Openings, that no one but the most bored will go to

ronntaylor

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2004
Flushing, New York
They renovated and expanded the Queens Center mall about 6 or 7 years ago I think. I remember reading prior to the expansion that the gross sales in that mall per square foot was more than any other mall in the country. Back in those days it was shoulder to shoulder most weekends and scary crowded at Christmas.

Read somewhere that this is supposedly Apple's largest mall-based store in NYS. Never visited, so I'll make a jaunt once I return from overseas. Still haven't visited the Upper Eastside store (and probably will never visit the Staten Island location).

DanielSw

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2009
Clearwater, FL
It still feels like yesterday when I stood in line the night before to be one of the first in our Tampa store which was #8 or 9. This new one will be 454, or there abouts.

Redbird9346

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2015
wait..... that is not in china! :confused:
It's not far from Flushing, which feels more like China than New York nowadays.

I think one of the trains you can get at Hunters Point Ave stops right outside the mall on Queens Blvd.
The G only goes as far as Court Square. It used to go to Forest Hills, and past the mall, but that was many years ago.
The 7 doesn't go near it. One would have to change trains at 74th Street.

The M and R stop there most normal hours.

Anyway, from Long Island City, it's easier to take the 7 to Grand Central or the N to 5th Avenue.

Reactions: Marvin1379

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Amazing that they just now are planning a Queens store. The boroughs are under represented.
I don't live in NY anymore but I would think Bayside would be a good place to open a store-high income areas like Bay Terrace, etc.
What about Long Island? Huntington or Smithtown?

StuddedLeather

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2009
Brooklyn, NYC
Apple store or not, Hoboken is cooler than Queens and Brooklyn combined ;-)
#WestSide

Doesn't change the fact that Brooklyn and Queens is still NYC and Hoboken is well . . . you know . . . Jersey :oops:

Hoboken is probably better than Queens (most areas not all) but definitely not Brooklyn. Park Slope is more relevant than Hoboken and It's not even one of BK's prime/trendy neighborhoods.

theosib

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2009
Binghamton will never ever get an Apple Store. Then again, Binghamton will never be a real city.

At least we have one 1.5 hours away in Syracuse.

Binghamton will also probably never have a Whole Foods Market, a real museum, good libraries, a real zoo, a Red Robin Gourmet Burgers, more than one Target, more than one Lowes, more than one Home Depot, a real mall, any place to take your kids for fun in the evening... or in the winter. But at least we have a good university.

Rud3Bwoy

Suspended
Oct 9, 2011
thank god now i don't have to go to manhattan or long island anymore i can literally just drive there within mins or train it within mins!this is a great location for one as well always busy and a lot of techy asians around there

-Ozzy-

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2011
Guys guys, neither Hoboken (Jersey is pretty much Midwestern US) nor BKLYN is nearly as hawt as................... Astooooria, Queens :D

Seriously though, stores in NYC malls area are not needed IMO. You can hop on a train/bus and be in the city in no more than 30 min. Brooklyn I get since brighton beach/coney island are damn far from the Manhattan.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Hmmm... would it be more amusing to call it "Hobroken" or "Hoboboken"? :p
You're not far off, it wasn't long time ago when Hoboken... was broken... in every way. Hoboken in the 70s and 80s was apparently a dumpster, 90s were transitional, now it's prime real estate full of yuppies and young families

wait what. hoboken is westside now?
kinda pushing it you think?
; )

:D well it is WEST of Manhattan, right ;-)?

Doesn't change the fact that Brooklyn and Queens is still NYC and Hoboken is well . . . you know . . . Jersey :oops:

Hoboken is probably better than Queens (most areas not all) but definitely not Brooklyn. Park Slope is more relevant than Hoboken and It's not even one of BK's prime/trendy neighborhoods.
Two years ago I would have argued, but it hurts me to say that Boorklyn is certainly more hip than Hoboken. Hoboken is more and more becoming trendy upper class rich-man town; all the nice restaurants are being forced out of town, all buildings are doorman building. Park Slope is certainly still hip with original lofts and artsy indie vibe.

We still don't have to pay city tax, and have a better commute ;-)

Reactions: StuddedLeather
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.