Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Is anyone else annoyed that they put the commercials on the homepage? I understand they are trying to get them out there and are happy about the commercials, but I dislike when I go to a website and audio kicks in automatically. Disrupts any song I'm listening to, kicks me out of whatever mood I'm in, etc. A link to them would be fine, but playing the commercials right off seems overkill to me. Plus, what about people without fast connections?

Superdrive

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2003
Dallas, Tx
Sound, video, resizing, etc should only happen when I tell it to.

Automatic=:mad:

I'm more worried about their pages looking like crap spilling beyond 800px.

timswim78

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2006
Baltimore, MD
Ja Di ksw said:
Is anyone else annoyed that they put the commercials on the homepage? I understand they are trying to get them out there and are happy about the commercials, but I dislike when I go to a website and audio kicks in automatically. Disrupts any song I'm listening to, kicks me out of whatever mood I'm in, etc. A link to them would be fine, but playing the commercials right off seems overkill to me. Plus, what about people without fast connections?

I agree. I hate it when Web sites start up with a video, sound clip, or flash animation.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
[nitpicker mode]

I just noticed that the alt tag for the iPod Hi-Fi image on Apple's main page has a typo: "iPod Hi-Fi. Stero. Reinvented."

[/nitpicker mode]

Of course, the only reason I noticed it is that their stupid autoplay iPod ad on the main page causes a delay in loading the entire page, allowing the alt text to pop up. C'mon, Apple...I hate when sites bomb me with videos I haven't asked for...you're better than that.

iSaint

macrumors 603
I had been considering starting a thread about web sites with self-starting video. The Apple ads aren't so annoying since you know they're coming.

But there are several others that have small frames of video that you may not see right away. It scares me sometimes! One I think of is NASCAR. I know there's others out there.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
I still think they're bad, despite "knowing they're coming" or being able to click to stop them. Websites aren't the places to put TV ads, in my opinion.

I'm resurrecting this thread because I just went to the movie trailer page of Apple's, and there was a video that auto played there too! Some guy telling me to check out his movie trailer on Apple's site.

Apple is doing more of these videos that play when you go to a website, without clicking anything. Not less. I use to really like Apple's website, thought it was one of the better ones out there - by far. I use to go to their movie website a lot too. This is making me less inclined to.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
EricNau said:
I wish it would start off as a still picture, and only start playing if I clicked it.

Exactly! That seems to make so much more sense.

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
YES!

I cleared my cookies and it took my to the US homepage auto matically and my browser froze. :( I hope they leave the Canadian site without video on start up. I have fast internet but my current PC is only a mere 700Mhz AVG Athlon. :( *waits for MacBooks(haha I typed boobs at first)*

dcv

macrumors G3
May 24, 2005
Thank god we don't have those adverts on the UK site. They're crap! And I agree, it is extremely annoying when a site automatically loads audio/video or those bloody awful flash animations :rolleyes:

Gnorn

macrumors regular
May 7, 2006
The Tavern, Thornwood
On my steampunk Bondi running 8.6 and QT 6 they don't even show up at all. Only a big white spot on the homepage. (but ooh... I do get sound :rolleyes: ) And when accecing the page from work (peecee) it tells me to get QT. If Apple was so concerned about peecee users switching to Mac, they should also have provided the clips in WMF for example :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.