Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
To me, this policy seems woefully out of touch with the times. Dead pixels are completely unacceptable to me on anything I use all the time, such as my computer screen(s) and TV (I'm just talking in general here). Having a single dead pixel would drive me insane. The product is malfunctioning and needs to be fixed or replaced, plain and simple. I will not accept anything less. The number of dead pixels allowed should not be a function of the overall size of the display (and resulting number of pixels).

It's like if I had a problem with my car or any other piece of equipment I own. If it is not functioning as it should it must be made so that it is.

It'd be like the mechanic telling me that one of my cylinders in my car isn't producing compression, but not to worry because I have five more that work fine. Ridiculous.

I regret to inform you that you already are.

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
Defects are anomalies...unless you're using a Dell of course

Dell at least offers a premium panel guarantee on their ultrasharps - which Apple should offer for the price they charge.

Dell said:
monitor-dell-u2410-bottom-icon1.jpg

Zero Bright Pixels
Under Dell's Premium Panel Guarantee3, you will receive a replacement UltraSharp monitor should even one bright defective pixel appear on the screen.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...=dellSearch&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=5

$489 with that guarantee.

Not bad for a 24 inch, 1920x1200 anti-glare IPS panel with rotating orientation, 4 usb ports, Memory card reader, VGA, DVI-D (2), Display Port, Component, Composite, HDMI, and to top it off, picture-in-picture. And it has sound output for HDMI sources with sound. ;)

Last edited:

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
But the issue there is that they use the same panel suppliers as the rest of the industry, so I don't see why they need to have such superior standards. Plus like another poster said, it prevents them from dealing with people returning 12 iMacs to get one that has absolutely zero flaws.

I concede that an iMac is different from just a monitor, but that's precisely my point when I refer to a monitor. In the case of a monitor, if I pay a premium I expect better than industry average quality otherwise, why would I not just buy a less expensive monitor from another manufacturer? If Apple charges more for a monitor, they need to provide something more than just "sleek styling" to account for the premium. A Mac is a slightly different story because when there is a premium for a given model, the buyer is presumably buying it because they prefer to work on a Mac, with Mac OS X, and Mac native applications and that in and of itself is worth something to them (it is to me).

At any rate, so far I have had 0 dead pixels in several Apple monitors I've acquired over the years so I'm personally OK with the premium I paid. Just saying Apple should set the bar higher than others if they are going to charge more for a monitor.

xplora

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
Apple has had this same policy for 20+ years, it hasn't changed, they used the same policy on CRT displays. But what you should really think about is, what policy do other companies use. most screen suppliers allow higher numbers than Apple do.

It should also be mentioned that part of apple's policy also allows room for a basis on position, ie centre of screen, or on the menu bar allow apple support to be more flexible than the pixel in the bottom left corner that nearly no one uses, in short visibility also plays a big part, as shown by the difference in light & dark pixels on larger displays.

czeluff

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
I'm not sure why this is late-breaking news. I've had 4-5 friends as Apple Store Genius workers, and they openly told me this was the policy a few years back.

Not like it was a big secret....just ask a Genius.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
WTF. No it isn't. Apple charges a huge premium only to have such a piss poor quality standards. Even one is unacceptable.

Please try and return a monitor with a single stuck pixel to apple before you start slinging mud. They return it every single time.

Oh and the "piss poor quality standards" is a nil argument. They have great quality standards but unless you work in IT and deal with tons and tons of different products you'll never realize Apple sits at the top of the stack in quality.

Please go buy 500 dell displays, then go buy 500 Apple displays and see who's brand is more defective.

D'Illusion

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Dell at least offers a premium panel guarantee on their ultrasharps - which Apple should offer for the price they charge.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Displays/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=320-8277&~ck=dellSearch&baynote_bnrank=0&baynote_irrank=5

$489 with that guarantee.

Not bad for a 24 inch, 1920x1200 anti-glare IPS panel with rotating orientation, 4 usb ports, Memory card reader, VGA, DVI-D (2), Display Port, Component, Composite, HDMI, and to top it off, picture-in-picture. And it has sound output for HDMI sources with sound. ;)

Stop it, you'll make the fanboys cry :D

buckers

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
Common sense

I think they've put too much time into those specifications. Surely it should be as simple as, a customer walks into a shop and goes, 'hey, there's some dead pixels on my MacBook display' and the guy behind the counter goes, 'Ah yes, so there are, let's get this fixed' not 'Well, how many are there exactly?'...

mrrish

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2008
Has anyone actually seen a dead pixel in the last few years. I don't think this is an actual problem. The only thing I recall seeing is some issues with uneven backlight and "rainbow" colored black areas. Nothing is mentioned about these conditions.

I buy apple products rather frequently (a new iphone every year it has existed and a macbook pro ever 2-3 years). 3 of my first phones and all of my macbooks had the unfortunate luck to have only 1 dead pixel. In each of those cases, Apple replaced the product right there. They said that for any new purchase they are willing to do one exchange the same day.

I am not sure how someone would fare if the dead pixel popped up 1 to 2 years down the road. I will say that if it bothers you, you have every right to get your computer/monitor/phone exchanged. It's your money and you deserve a error free product.

Last edited:

gfiz

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2009
Virginia
I don't care what their policy is, if I even get 1 dead pixel it's going back to the Apple Store and I will get a replacement until I get one in n perfect and new condition or they'll give me a refund. Apple can have whatever internal policy they want, but it doesn't apply to me as the consumer shelling out hundred's or thousands of dollars. I NEVER by monitors on line, always B&M unless the online retailer has unquestioned return policy (like Dell, I'm currently using a U2711)

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I have 3 on my refurbished cinema display, 1 on my iMac.
I would have brought it back, but my cinema display was refurbished, so I saved $300, so I'm okay with a few.

This doesn't seem very good... I've always bought non-mac displays; I had a stuck pixel once, it drove me mad, had to get rid of the display. The monitor only cost me £200 though... If I had bought an apple cinema display for nearly £1000 I would expect it to be perfect or it would go straight back... I don't think it's unreasonable to expect zero dead/stuck pixels on a monitor you pay so much for!

Sad to read the article as it's beginning to put me off ever buying an apple display! If I'm running the same dead pixel risk with a £1000 monitor from apple as I am with a £500 one from dell why on earth would I spend double for the same level of risk? I would at the least want to be assured the monitor is perfect out the box! :(

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Hope they don't try to catch you on the technicality that "guaranty" is a piece of gibberish, thus they didn't guarantee anything.

Actually it isn't. I've had 2 monitors they exchanged without question for 1 dead pixel and the replacement was perfect. Don't comment on the "guaranty" when you have never used it.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
It's sad that Dell Ultrasharp monitors come with a 0 dead pixel guarantee while Apple's policy is that up to 16 bad pixels are acceptable. You can get even a 30 inch Dell Ultrasharp monitor and be guaranteed in writing that it will have no dead pixels.

This is ridiculous. Luckily I haven't had any pixel defects on my Apple products, but if I did, I'd be steaming mad if they didn't fix/replace it.

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
15 dead pixels on any display is absolutely ridiculous. Nobody would put up with that.

Having said that, there are obviously two camps of people here… Those who can tolerate one or two relatively innocuous dead pixels (I have one on one of my 30 inch displays and it's barely noticeable), and those who can't. What Apple should have on that support document is a sliding scale of compensation, whereby the customer can choose to keep the display at a reduced price, depending on how seriously affected, or get a replacement. Customer has a choice — they're happy. Apple doesn't have to throw away any displays—the environment is happy too. :)

To those maintaining Apple replaces stuff without question… I've had my run-ins with Apple here in Australia before. Years ago I had an iMac that had been in repair twice already under warranty. Days later there was literally smoke coming out of the damn thing!! So I thought, surely they will replace it now. But no, they said the policy was to replace it only after the third repair. They weren't particularly quick with their repairs either and I was pretty p*ssed off by that stage so I fought it with them until they finally gave in. I wasn't impressed with the service at all.

123macman

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2009
I have one bad dead Pixel on my 13" mbp and apple just ordered me a new display. I am going to have it put on tomorrow.

lordjonny

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
Common Sense^^

I think these guidelines are to prevent the complete abuse of the Apple Store Geniuses. There are going to be some that will swap out anything because it makes them feel good and rightly so, however clearly these specifications effect apples profits and control over whats going on. Common sense will apply as always and if it seriously impacts the use of the screen then it will obviously be changed regardless of the number of pixels. These aren't released in the first place because of the serious reaction but these kinds of things are common in lots of environments, and for the most part will not affect the majority of people in their dealings with apple so i recommend that taking a chill pill and waiting for it a) to affect you and b) if it has or does accept that your individual circumstances will be relevant and no perfect document can take everyones position into account.

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
Think of it this way.....

A 20 inch iMac with a resolution of 1680x1050 has 1,764,000 pixels. With 16 pixels out that is just .000009% of the display. And, Apple doesn't make their own displays so a customer bringing back a display with nearly 2 million pixels for 1 pixel being out costs Apple a lot of money. Of course they are going to have a policy like this.

But... obviously that one annoying pixel right in the middle is a pain. Apple understands that, and will most likely not put up much of a fight and replace your display anyway. They just need some sort of guideline.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
What an over-complicated table! Is it really the case that Apple employees can't work out that if 15 pixels or less is acceptable, the number that is unacceptable is 16 or more? They really need a table to show them what number comes next?

Even then the chart doesn't cover everything - I'm going to call Applecare and tell them I've got a 9.7" screen with 1 faulty pixel and wait while they page Mr Jobs for an executive decision.

mike07905

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2006
In the UK you can take anything back within 14 days and get a refund or exchange.

If they appear after that then in my experience it is not difficult to get Apple to replace a screen with only a few on. If you get through to the higher echelons of customer service they can issue a CS code that overrides any replacement policy and sanctions a replacement!

Frosties

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2009
Sweden
This is why you purchase over the internet in Europe as we always have 14 days to return the computer if not satisfied.

Last edited:

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Actually it isn't. I've had 2 monitors they exchanged without question for 1 dead pixel and the replacement was perfect. Don't comment on the "guaranty" when you have never used it.

The point was that a "guaranty" is different from "guarantee."

Back OT. I have bought 2 iPads, 5 iPhones, 2 iMacs, and 5 Mac laptops of one kind or another and NONE of them has had a stuck, bright, or otherwise flawed pixel. Not a single one.

The guidelines are just that - guidelines. As we have seen, Apple makes exceptions all the time. The guidelines are there to keep people from abusing the policy. They're probably not going to refuse anyone unless they have been a complete PITA - not that that is acceptable.

archipellago

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2008
Please try and return a monitor with a single stuck pixel to apple before you start slinging mud. They return it every single time.

Oh and the "piss poor quality standards" is a nil argument. They have great quality standards but unless you work in IT and deal with tons and tons of different products you'll never realize Apple sits at the top of the stack in quality.

Please go buy 500 dell displays, then go buy 500 Apple displays and see who's brand is more defective.

cool... I'll go buy the Dell's you can buy the Apple's!!

seriously, anybody outside iCon's RDF knows that Apple's quality/premium price angle has been laid bare for many years.

Its cheap chinese crap same as everyone else's.

if you head over the the new MBA logic board issue thread you'll see a graph on page 8 or 9 that shows laptop performance over a 3 year period and defective rates. Apple are mid table with Dell less than 1% behind.,,Asus well out in front.

stop drinking the kool-aid.

iCon lies...he always has done!

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
I'm the kind of person that can't stand a dead pixel.

So far I've bought : 2x 3GS 1x iPhone 4 4x iPad 1x MBP and haven't had a single dead one in any device. Either I'm incredibly lucky or people with dead pixels are incredibly unlucky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.