Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
From the 9to5Mac article

"We previously reported that the new 9.7-inch iPad model will include a Smart Connector, and now we have learned that Apple is preparing a smaller version of its Smart Keyboard cover attachment for the new model, and it likely will be ready for March. Like the 12.9-inch models, quad stereo speakers will be part of the hardware. The 9.7-inch iPad Pro is also expected to come in the same colors and storage capacities as the larger iPad Pro, but the pricing will be closer in line with the iPad Air models it will succeed."

Reactions: ShaunAFC3

MacHiavelli

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2007
new york
So...iPad Pro mini? Guessing they want to keep a "Pro" price on the new iPad ;)

Also, I'm hating the inconsistency in Apple product names lately. The MacBook is more "Air" than the MacBook Air. 5se that's like a 6s mini.

Heading to simplified product lines...

iPad and iPad Pro.

MacBook and MacBook Pro.

Yes?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
disapointing. The era of the apple surface is upon us. And no doubt 6 versions of the the iPad you can buy... Shame, back to the days of multiple products lines with a product line, does none learn from mistakes made in the past...

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I'm somewhat surprised. Not the branding... but of the Apple Pencil & Smart Keyboard Support.

Reason being... price tag of the iPad Pro is justified by the Apple Pencil & Smart Keyboard Support. What is the justification of the 12.9" iPad Pro price tag in comparison of the supposedly 9.7" iPad Pro? A $300 price hike just for the bigger screen? Granted the 9.7" starts out at 16gb and the 12.9" starts out at 32gb...

I just don't understand the logic behind it. People aren't looking for better hardware... they are looking for an iOS geared to take better advantage of the iPad screen real estate And perhaps support for USB-C.

Reactions: magicman32

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
Will update from my air 2 if true - and if they don't use this to bump the price. If they start at 32GB I might be able to manage with the base model. But it'll probably cost the same as the 64GB air 2 anyway..

I'm fine with the naming - the larger ipp differentiates by screen size. But then what are you left with in the middle? New product line coming next year?

JackANSI

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
This is making me fear a Pro price-tag, though... :confused:

Since when has anything Apple not carried a "pro" grade price compared to the mass market stuff everyone else pumps out?

They added "pro" to it so they could add at least $100 to price (not including the pencil)

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
I'm somewhat surprised. Not the branding... but of the Apple Pencil & Smart Keyboard Support.

Reason being... price tag of the iPad Pro is justified by the Apple Pencil & Smart Keyboard Support. What is the justification of the 12.9" iPad Pro price tag in comparison of the supposedly 9.7" iPad Pro? A $300 price hike just for the bigger screen? Granted the 9.7" starts out at 16gb and the 12.9" starts out at 32gb...

I just don't understand the logic behind it. People aren't looking for better hardware... they are looking for an iOS geared to take better advantage of the iPad screen real estate And perhaps support for USB-C.

It's a 12" 5mp screen. That costs.

Why is the 27" iMac so much more expensive than the 21.5"?

Reactions: smoking monkey

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
If this is the case the the iPad Pro should have been called the iPad Plus. Having the iPad Pro in two sizes will just be confusing.

Reactions: big-ted

Sparky2012

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
I was all set to buy the Air 3. I had most of the cash waiting and all I had to do was sell my current Air 1. Now don't know how much this miniature iPad Pro will be although I'm liking the fact it'll be closer in specs to the actual iPad Pro especially with the RAM.

To me I think they've lost the plot in terms of naming their products. The way it's going which is iPad Mini and iPad Pro (9.7" or 12.9" variants) is simple but they have to ensure they don't introduce the Air name again later on down the line. I wonder what will separate this new Pro from the Air's to people. The reason the Pro name came about was mainly due to a bigger screen so what warrants this 9.7" iPad being called Pro instead or Air?

theelysium

Suspended
Nov 18, 2008
Apple messed up with the "air" naming convention. Now their ipad's naming won't make sense.

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
If this is the case the the iPad Pro should have been called the iPad Plus. Having the iPad Pro in two sizes will just be confusing.

I know the MacBook Pro coming in different sizes has always confused me. I still can't get my head around it actually, I just flip a coin and last time it landed on the 15".

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I sure hope they don't get rid of the Mini line.
It's perf for kids!

Not just kids. I'm a thirty-something year old male, and the Mini is my preferred form factor. What's not to like about the full functionality of an iPad that fits in the palm of my hand, weighs practically nothing, and takes up practically no space where ever I store or carry it?

What the hell is the matter with the naming of new Apple products? First an awkward "iPhone 5SE" and now renaming the iPad Air to iPad Pro? Really?

Apple hasn't actually announced a name for either of these products yet.

hirsthirst

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2008
UK
this is exactly what I want, a standard sized iPad with Pencil support.

I've found the Pro is beautiful to write on with Pencil (I do all my meeting notes in Notability now), but its awkward to use full-time at work if you don't need all that space to draw on.

Reactions: sracer and 007p
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.